I think DA is Getting Year 4 (3 Viewers)

I never said the roster was stacked, I said its dumb to try and blame it all on SP. Loomis was the GM, the entire front office has as much if not more blame for the state of the roster, trying to scape goat SP is lame in my opinion.

If the roster was so bad in 22, why did the Saints go all in, instead of starting the rebuild then. Why did we sign Carr to a massive contract. The first two years of DA was the Saints organization thinking they had the talent and the coaching staff to make the playoffs and they where wrong.

Now we have some Saints fans doing weird revisionist history. Blaming SP for the Saints current problems is insane. Loomis made the choice to stick with DA and invest in Carr and has not worked, got nothing to do with SP.

Look if you like DA as the coach of the Saints, that's fine, but lets not pretend like he underperformed as coach over the last two seasons.

The reason some of us are thinking what we do is because the first year post CSP was mired in injury. Our QB1 got broken early and often. We went through backups and had no real WR1.

The narrative that the team thought they had talent to win now is likely true, but injuries hamper that and a lack of cap space and draft picks that are absolutely unrelated to anything DA ever did compounded those sometimes manageable issues.

Going into year 2, we were still henpecked by a lack of cap space, but still made a huge splash bringing in a new QB. Injuries and youth on the OL got him killed and hurt. Now, I'm not sure why they didn't go to JW when Carr was playing without a shoulder, but they didn't and here we are.

The D was solid. THe O improved, but still we had no real money available to play with in the offseason so small moves and drafts are the avenue for improvement. There's really no other way.

Because he's a very good defensive coach who was saddled with leftovers in his first 2 years.

We got our QBs killed in both of the last 2 seasons playing with handmedowns and injuries and even then 1 or 2 points in a few games last year and we won 11.

Yep, been saying all off-season long…we were a single missed FG in a game in which our starting QB got hurt while up 17-0 away from having a double digit win season, a divisional championship and a home playoff game.

If that wild set of events doesn’t happen, the tone around this off-season and this forum overall is completely different.

Yep, been saying all off-season long…we were a single missed FG in a game in which our starting QB got hurt while up 17-0 away from having a double digit win season, a divisional championship and a home playoff game.

If that wild set of events doesn’t happen, the tone around this off-season and this forum overall is completely different.
Unfortunately we missed the fg, and reality is a thing.

I don’t blame people for having DA on a short leash, he hasn’t earned the extra slack

Unfortunately we missed the fg, and reality is a thing.

I don’t blame people for having DA on a short leash, he hasn’t earned the extra slack

Not blaming anyone for their opinion, and yes, thanks for making me aware that reality is a thing. Not sure what I would have done without that knowledge.

I too think we could do better at HC. All I am saying is that this entire conversation looks differently if that single anomaly game doesn't occur.

Not blaming anyone for their opinion, and yes, thanks for making me aware that reality is a thing. Not sure what I would have done without that knowledge.

I too think we could do better at HC. All I am saying is that this entire conversation looks differently if that single anomaly game doesn't occur.
Just here to help.

If this version of the DA led Saints with pretty much everything changed over the last 2 years except the HC doesn't make the playoffs, yet again?

That would be 3 years, in the weakest division in football, unable to win the division, would be a total of 5 full years as a HC failing to make the playoffs once, and folks are actually supporting the decision to bring him back another year? That is utter lunacy.....just because ML might do this and seems to be fine with mediocrity doesn't mean the fans have to be......

That said, if they do manage to make the playoffs this year (and they may if a lot of young players step up), he deserves to be retained....if not and the Saints organization keeps him around, they aren't serious about building a contender....

Haslett was undoubtedly better than Allen. At least Haslett had some good moments. Allen is better than Ditka, but my argument wasn’t x vs y…it was x had a longer rope and mediocrity approval than y.
There's not enough data on Allen as HC of the Saints to come to that determination. Youngest rookie head coach in the NFL for the most unstable franchise in the NFL version of Dennis Allen gets held against him far too often.

We get it, his overall record suggest he's a below average coach, no problem w/ that. Context makes that argument more fluffy however, so the best basis point for judging him is his 1st two years. That leaves him at middle of the roach coach after two years. A full evaluation of him will be more clear after the standard three years (no different with draft classes) and unless it's a total collapse it won't be enough to not give him a 4th year because he hasn't been atrocious.

There's not enough data on Allen as HC of the Saints to come to that determination. Youngest rookie head coach in the NFL for the most unstable franchise in the NFL version of Dennis Allen gets held against him far too often.

We get it, his overall record suggest he's a below average coach, no problem w/ that. Context makes that argument more fluffy however, so the best basis point for judging him is his 1st two years. That leaves him at middle of the roach coach after two years. A full evaluation of him will be more clear after the standard three years (no different with draft classes) and unless it's a total collapse it won't be enough to not give him a 4th year because he hasn't been atrocious.
That's pretty much where I'm at also. No matter who the head coach is, it doesn't change the fact that this is a roster in transition. PFF has the Saints roster ranked 24th and I don't think you will find any unbiased source that has the Saints roster ranked higher than 20th. This isn't a roster like Brandon Staley had with the Chargers.

That said, I think year three is going to reveal a lot about if the team is heading in the right direction, treading water or regressing.

That’s the NFL, it’s a lot of close games that swing on a hand full of plays, maybe just one. The season can swing on a couple of games, maybe just one. I don’t have any confidence that DA can get enough of these plays and games to swing in the right direction where as SP could. That’s the issue as I see it.

IMO.

Many don’t even get as long as Allen has to shown his worth. How can we say “not enough time” knowing that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom