I think retirement is a pipe dream... (1 Viewer)

so--renee and i are seriously fed up. our neighborhood is going to pot and i got 200K plus in healthy real estate. Costa rica vacation in 4weeks.

looking into a retirement home---and see no future in this culture.

thoughts?

so--renee and i are seriously fed up. our neighborhood is going to pot and i got 200K plus in healthy real estate. Costa rica vacation in 4weeks.

thoughts?

LOL

thoughts?
Costa Rica. I’m contemplating that country when I hang ‘em up for good.

thoughts?

Try it and find out I suppose. You may miss your home in a couple years and wish you never moved, but there is only one way to find out.

thoughts?

Anywhere you go there'll be pros and cons; you'll love some things, you'll hate somethings, miss some things from back home (like cheddar cheese, can't find it here in Merida to save my life), some big, some small...

If you are going to spend 4 weeks in CR and you are seriously considering moving there, I'd suggest to spend 1/2 day or day with a real estate agent, not just looking at houses, but asking the kind of questions that you wouldn't be able to ask in the U.S. and get a straight answer, like good/bad neighborhoods, which areas flood, which areas experience power/water outages, etc ...

Also, I'd find out about banking... which banks are there, how U.S. banks there are connected with U.S. banks (in MX, for example, your U.S. account is completely separate from any account you open here, even if the same bank corporation - Citi, Santander, etc...- ; how easy it is to transfer money back and forth, any special rules for bank accounts (for example, in MX, you can't transfer money from the U.S. until 6 months after you open an account); where to exchange money and how much you can exchange at the time... personally even though I have a local bank account, I keep all my money in the U.S., have U.S. credit cards, and every month or so I wire myself some cash via Western Union.

Also check on medical care... you can do that in an hour from your laptop... pharmacies, drug prices, hospitals/hospital ratings (a real estate agent may be able to tell you about good/bad hospitals).

I got more, but last thing for now, given what you posted about culture: expat communities can and do bring their culture with them. Many embrace the culture they migrate to, but many bring their prejudices and ideologies as well... some even do worse: in the U.S. people think Canadians are for the most part nice people, while here in Yucatan people think Canadians are butt crevasses, because that's how they behave here.

Last edited:

thoughts?

I think youve got the right idea, but i think you need t take it further.. literally .

Ive not been to Costa Rica, but from what i understand , it isnt cheap.. sure, your money will go twice as far in places like CR and Belize and Panama than it will in the US.. but im currently in Asia , and here ur US dollars will go about 5 times to 10 times further than it will back home in America.. unfortunately im not retired yet, im still in my 40s (barely)- but when i retire, i will 100% be returning here for good.. ive spent time over the last 6 months working in places like Singapore, the Philippines, Japan and Thailand.. currently Im in Bangkok- i absolutely love it here, and this is where i see myself long term.. the cost of living is ultra-low, the food is off the charts delicious and Bangkok is the safest big city in the world.. oh and the healthcare is world class and a fraction of the cost of the American health care scam .. and by coming here, I should be able to retire in my 50s vs having to work until im 75 or 80 years old in America .

@SystemShock and @Mr. Blue Sky

May I DM each of you as I have questions related to each of your locations respectively. I am investigating relocating for retirement and both of your locations along with Panama are on my list to study. You have both given some very helpful information to the group, so if possible I'd like to get more info from each of you.
Thanks!

@SystemShock and @Mr. Blue Sky

May I DM each of you as I have questions related to each of your locations respectively. I am investigating relocating for retirement and both of your locations along with Panama are on my list to study. You have both given some very helpful information to the group, so if possible I'd like to get more info from each of you.
Thanks!

Sure.. im no expert but im happy to share what I’ve learned from my experiences .

I’ve got a long ways to go but I’ve already been looking into Portugal. I definitely won’t be staying in Colorado. I love it here but it’s too expensive. Maybe if I get a tiny house away from the Denver area but then I’d have to problem of being far from healthcare.

Miyako and I have discussed taking a vacation to Europe in the fall. Portugal is definitely on the list of places to we want to visit.

Ya know, one thing I thing the US Government should consider is farming out senior care to foreign countries. If they can come to agreements on it, seniors could relocate to areas with solid, but more affordable, healthcare. The US would agree to cover treatments with medicaid as long as certain standards are maintained. Obviously this is a 10000ft view of an idea and there are pro/cons but I think it could potentially take a lot of pressure of the US healthcare system.

It’s all a balancing act. Out of college I traveled frequently, and owned motorcycles and sports cars. Obviously if I’m doing these things I’m not saving anywhere near what I should be. I also feared growing older, having life catch up, and never having these experiences. Then got married and had children. But now the bill is due, and I’m hoping for that miracle.

I’ve got a long ways to go but I’ve already been looking into Portugal. I definitely won’t be staying in Colorado. I love it here but it’s too expensive. Maybe if I get a tiny house away from the Denver area but then I’d have to problem of being far from healthcare.

Miyako and I have discussed taking a vacation to Europe in the fall. Portugal is definitely on the list of places to we want to visit.

Ya know, one thing I thing the US Government should consider is farming out senior care to foreign countries. If they can come to agreements on it, seniors could relocate to areas with solid, but more affordable, healthcare. The US would agree to cover treatments with medicaid as long as certain standards are maintained. Obviously this is a 10000ft view of an idea and there are pro/cons but I think it could potentially take a lot of pressure of the US healthcare system.

Arent you an Asian Wife Guy[tm] ? Maybe you should take a hard look at some Asian countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand et al.. i have a buddy who lives in Vietnam and loves it.. here in Thailand, i had to go to a hospital recently for a minor issue, and after consulting with a doctor, a few tests and filling my prescriptions- my bill came to $67 US dollars.. i have travelers insurance bit didnt even use it .

Arent you an Asian Wife Guy[tm] ? Maybe you should take a hard look at some Asian countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand et al.. i have a buddy who lives in Vietnam and loves it.. here in Thailand, i had to go to a hospital recently for a minor issue, and after consulting with a doctor, a few tests and filling my prescriptions- my bill came to $67 US dollars.. i have travelers insurance bit didnt even use it .

My wife is Japanese but yea, I think Vietnam isn't a bad call at all. Heck, even Japan is dirt cheap compared to Colorado. The challenge in Japan is that they are already having a hard time taking care of their aging population. I don't know if that's the case with Vietnam or Thailand but I should look into them too.

Miyako and I are going back to Japan next year. We'll probably explore the idea a bit. I really do need to brush up on my Japanese.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom