Ian Book highlight reel (4 Viewers)

The throw at the 1:46 mark in that video is pure magic , that is such a difficult throw and it he hits that perfect . Also on his deep throws you see he puts alot of air under it , the ball just seems to hit his WRs out in front of them in the hands . Big arm isn't something he has but like Brees ball placement, timing and accuracy are going to be what he makes his living on should he get his chance . The ability to scramble is obvious with him .

The Syracuse joke is relevant because if you start Book now, he'll be going against NFL caliber LBs, DBs, D-Lineman and coaches. 90% of the guys he went up against in college will never sniff a NFL practice squad.

That said, what do you get / lose by putting him out there, behind a beat up O-Line & a receiving core that has a hard time catching balls that hit them in their hands? What will coaches be able to evaluate that they aren't already able to see from him in practice against our guys on D? What kind of experience is he going to get from a meaningless exhibition game that he's not getting in practice?

If you are high on his upside, and you're trying to keep him under wraps...I think you just finish out the season with Hill and see how the competition goes in the offseason.

That was a different era and I'm pretty sure you know that. Riddle me this, what happens every time ND finds themselves in a marquee bowl matchup since 2005?

I'm not against Ian Book, I'm just being real because that most wins argument falls flat when you look at how ND builds their schedule and what happens when ND makes it to either a BCS bowl game or the CFP.
Don't take this as an endorsement of Book, because he is very much a developmental player that I wouldn't plan to start for a few more years at best.

But this statement says more about ND's overall talent and depth than it does about their QB play. After watching those "big games" I can say that Book was hitting his guys in stride and in the hands and they weren't doing him any favors.

At this point, it's wait and see. He's got a lot of potential at a position of need. Way too early to tell what he will be long-term.

Saying all that, I would have rather gone all-in on Winston and drafted some WR's this year, but oh well.

We all know he can improvise. That is his strength. The question that I have is how good is he following his reads. That level of improvisation is good, but is he giving up after the first or second read?

I don't think we have an answer to this question.

We know he is a good leader, a smart player, with great mobility and just adequate arm strength.

He is a very interesting player to develop. As always with Sean Payton, the key factor will be if he is able to trust Book to make the right decisions. That for him is more important than having a rocket of an arm.

Notre Dame's schedule is setup year in year out to ensure that they win at least 9 games per season...they play power 5 teams, but they play the lower tier teams from those conferences w/ a marquee matchup thrown in for good measure.
Ian Book beat a 17th ranked LSU team in the 2018 Citrus Bowl with a 4th Qtr come from behind victory.

People really do under estimate the schedule Notre Dame plays.

they dont schedule powder puff like everyone says...

LOL...I see what you did there.

Danny Wuerffel's throwing motion gives me the twitches. Yikes!
😂… that is sooo true. One of the most awkward motions I could recall.

But yea, I was being a wise guy… college highlights are hardly an indicator of NFL success just like using Brees as an example for if an undersized guy will be successful or how the scouts were wrong. For every 1 Brees, there are a 1000 guys just like him who don’t make it.

Last edited:
I mean it's fun to knock non SEC teams and all, but you will not find teams like UL - Monroe, McNeese, Central Michigan, (LSU 2021 schedule) Utah state, Northwestern State, and Southern Georgia (LSU 2019) on Notre Dame's schedule or the list of Teams Book beat.
And you'll never find an Alabama, Florida, Auburn or an Ohio St, Mich St, Penn St gauntlet on NDs schedule.

😂… that is sooo true. One of the most awkward motions I could recall.

But yea, I was being a wise guy… college highlights are hardly an indicator of NFL success just like using Brees as a reference for who an undersized guy will be successful or how the scouts were wrong. For every 1 Brees, there are a 1000 guys just like him how don’t make it.
Yikes i have never seen a College QB highlight reel with only 3 passing plays. I do remember this about Manziel anytime he faced LSU who fielded an excellent defense he struggled mightily.

And you'll never find an Alabama, Florida, Auburn or an Ohio St, Mich St, Penn St gauntlet on NDs schedule.
Notre Dame is schedule to play Ohio state September 2. Notre Dame has a top 15 Strength of schedule every year the entire time Book was QB.

Edited to add: they have Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, and Texas A&M all scheduled to play in the next 2-3 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom