Is Cook Good Enough? (1 Viewer)

Cook was so close to scoring at the goal line and dragging defenders, the refs just let the play keep going to see if he was going to score. It probably was tough to blow the play dead while a player is on the verge of a touchdown. The reaction on the board would’ve been the refs robbed us of a TD if they blew the whistle on us at the 2 yard line a second before breaking the plane. But Payton could have challenged for forward progress
So, you can challenge forward progress if it's not called (on offense), but not challenge it when it is called (on defense), correct?

Cook is solid complimentary weapon... if a defense sleeps on him, he can gash them.

However, he’s not an elite-level TE at this point.

Cook has been a disappointment so far. Based on what I've seen, I don't think Cook is an upgrade over Hill, much less a huge upgrade. Hill rarely drops balls, blocks better, gets open better, and runs better after the catch. Hill may not look as good, nor run as fast, but I think he's the better TE. Trautman may be better than both of them, so he may become the starter.
Hill absolutely does not get open better than Cook. If he did, Hill would be a pro-bowler

I am a huge fan of Jared Cook. Tall, athletic, large catching radius.

His output against the 49ers last year, and him subsequently going off after the dirty hit, basically changed the trajectory of that game. It also confirmed to me that the guy has the ability to step up when the stakes are high.

A big target who can perform in big matches. No way am I (or my fantasy team) abandoning him after one poor performance.

I am going to hijack this thread a little. On his fumble, why was this not a case of forward progress? He was being held up by 2 defensive players and not gaining forward progress for longer than the Bears TE when the 3rd defender came in.

I thought the same thing. This was the polar opposite of the Davis play. This was a case of a guy getting stood up and then guys come in ripping the ball out late. The Davis play was bang bang. The fumble was caused all in one motion within milliseconds.

So, you can challenge forward progress if it's not called (on offense), but not challenge it when it is called (on defense), correct?

Just saw that forward progress is unchallengeable on both offense and defense. It rides completely on the refs discretion when they feel like blowing the whistle. Usually they call forward progress just before/as a defense makes a play like the Pats D’s sack fumble vs Mahomes. but the refs let the fumble happen when it’s our offense

Was waiting to see if anyone would discuss Cook. I, for one, was thrilled to get him. Major upgrade over Hill. I believed that he was a top 10 TE. He has shown definite greatness when targeted. Last night, he looked bad.
Is this a position to upgrade or are we good by committee (you always need more than one)? Trautman is a gem.
We need Cook. Don’t be silly.

Hill absolutely does not get open better than Cook. If he did, Hill would be a pro-bowler
You may be right that Hill doesn't get open better, but I don't think Jared gets open either, but since he's a bigger target, Brees puts it where only he can get it. Almost every time that Hill catches balls he's wide open. It may be because he is not expected to get a target. I suppose upon further reflection, Cooks is probably still overall better than Hill, since Hill doesn't get as much attention, which probably makes his numbers look better. However, I agree that the question about whether he is good enough depends on the expectations. The expectations were high when we signed him, but we now have Sanders and a developing Callaway and Trautman, so Cooks is good enough as a non-primary option.

Cook is solid complimentary weapon... if a defense sleeps on him, he can gash them.

However, he’s not an elite-level TE at this point.
He's 11th in yards per game and tied for 3rd in TDs among TE.

You ain't getting much better this year.

On top of that, he has the highest yards per reception on the team and most splash plays at pass catcher that isn't Kamara.

He’s a strong te. Pro bowler??? Maybe not but I think we would have beaten the whiners last year if they didn’t target him and knocked him out the game. Drew makes these guys go from good to great.

The dropped pass inside the 10 was disappointing.

That was a guaranteed 35-0 lead at the half.

The fumble was an unforced error as he needs to realize game situations. His catch gave us a first and goal at the 2. No need to fight for an extra yard like that.

Guess you going to be that person who when a player had a bad game, he needs to get cut or benched him. Cook had made some spectacular catches in the red zone for us the past 2 season. Unless you forgot about that. Until I see our other tight end doing the same thing consistently, this is a pointless topic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom