N/S Is Matt Ryan A HOFer? (2 Viewers)

It'll be an interesting debate when he comes up. He'll be in the top ten all time in passing yards and touchdowns, and he has an MVP ( :sick: ), so honestly he'll probably get in ( :sick: :sick: :sick: ). But I kind of feel like he should be lumped in with the likes of Donovan McNabb, who also went to and lost one Super Bowl.

It'll be an interesting debate when he comes up. He'll be in the top ten all time in passing yards and touchdowns, and he has an MVP ( :sick: ), so honestly he'll probably get in ( :sick: :sick: :sick: ). But I kind of feel like he should be lumped in with the likes of Donovan McNabb, who also went to and lost one Super Bowl.
Boomer Esiason has a MVP. It’s not a guarantee to the Hall.

What is a Hall of Famer? Is it easy to make the HOF as a quarterback, and even easier if you have won a Super Bowl (or two)?

I ask because you look at a guy like Troy Aikman. He has a HOF jacket, but (like Matt Ryan) nobody would ever consider him a top 15 quarterback of all time (let alone top 5). It’s so unique as to who gets in and who doesn’t, but on the right team, and you too can make it in.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t count W-L as a quarterback stat, or give the quarterback all the credit when a team wins or loses. It’s easy to say “the quarterback had a great game, and led his team to victory.” But then the defense is equally as responsible, and so are the guard and running back.

At the end of the day, the standard to get into the HOF is so arbitrary that trying to understand it would drive a person to drinking.

What is a Hall of Famer? Is it easy to make the HOF as a quarterback, and even easier if you have won a Super Bowl (or two)?

I ask because you look at a guy like Troy Aikman. He has a HOF jacket, but (like Matt Ryan) nobody would ever consider him a top 15 quarterback of all time (let alone top 5). It’s so unique as to who gets in and who doesn’t, but on the right team, and you too can make it in.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t count W-L as a quarterback stat, or give the quarterback all the credit when a team wins or loses. It’s easy to say “the quarterback had a great game, and led his team to victory.” But then the defense is equally as responsible, and so are the guard and running back.

At the end of the day, the standard to get into the HOF is so arbitrary that trying to understand it would drive a person to drinking.
I would put Aikman in the Hall. You can’t mention 90s NFL without him or the Cowboys. They made an impact.
My point is that Ryan or the Falcons haven’t made an impact in the grand scheme of the League.
Let me put it like this. If I ask you the teams, players, or executives that have defined the late 00s/10s, where does Ryan rank? Where do the Falcons rank?

Putting my hatred for the Falcons aside, I’ve always respected Ryan and held him in high regard as a QB. Seems like a decent guy as well. I definitely think the SB loss hurt his chances - because of his play down the stretch in that game. He didn’t play well at the end. Additionally, and probably more important - his level of play declined after that Super Bowl and the Falcons, as a franchise, have not recovered from that loss. Just my opinion, but I think those are the reasons why he likely won’t get in.

I would put Aikman in the Hall. You can’t mention 90s NFL without him or the Cowboys. They made an impact.
My point is that Ryan or the Falcons haven’t made an impact in the grand scheme of the League.
Let me put it like this. If I ask you the teams, players, or executives that have defined the late 00s/10s, where does Ryan rank? Where do the Falcons rank?
Matt Ryan getting in before Marshawn Lynch, Shaun Alexander, (or a Legion of Boom player), Ryan getting in before Tory Holt, Ryan getting in before Antonio Gates, before Dwight Freeney, before Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler Peanut Tillman, Richard Seymour, Rande Barber, Adam Veneturi, Devin Hester, Shady McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Larry Fitz, Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Logan Mankins, Jahri Evans, Calais Campbell, Cam Jordan. Him getting in before any of these guys (depending on when he or they retire) would be unwarranted, however he will probably get in before half of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom