N/S Is Matt Ryan A HOFer? (3 Viewers)

I'm still mad Ryan has a league MVP but Drew doesn't

You can have one honor you don't deserve but not two

1636147567511.gif

He deserves to be in the hall of very good. B+ talent and producer on his own and an A talent in the right system (Best years under Shanahan)

What is a Hall of Famer? Is it easy to make the HOF as a quarterback, and even easier if you have won a Super Bowl (or two)?

I ask because you look at a guy like Troy Aikman. He has a HOF jacket, but (like Matt Ryan) nobody would ever consider him a top 15 quarterback of all time (let alone top 5). It’s so unique as to who gets in and who doesn’t, but on the right team, and you too can make it in.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t count W-L as a quarterback stat, or give the quarterback all the credit when a team wins or loses. It’s easy to say “the quarterback had a great game, and led his team to victory.” But then the defense is equally as responsible, and so are the guard and running back.

At the end of the day, the standard to get into the HOF is so arbitrary that trying to understand it would drive a person to drinking.
It is easier to make the HoF as a QB, but it certainly isnt easy. The key is realizing that the NFL HoF does not work like other HoFs. There is a max number of inductees each year. Its not about being good enough or doing enough or compiling enough stats or rings. Its about being better than ALL your peers, It's about being an elite player at the top of your class.

You can be a great, but if you are not better than the other 5 guys (even at different positions you don't get in).

Is Hines Ward in the HoF? Nope
Reggie Wayne? Nope
Patrick Willis? Nope
Rodney Harrison? No
Jared Allen? No
Zach Thomas? No
Steven Jackson? No
DaBrickashaw Ferguson? No
Tony Boselli? No
Joe Jacoby? No
MJD?
Lance Briggs?
Justin Smith?
Johnathan Vilma?
Willis McGahee?
Clinton Portis?
Eddie George?
John Abraham?
Jamal Lewis?

All those guys were considered Future HoFers when they were playing. And yet they arent. They only take 5 a year. If they take 3 first year eligibles, One 2nd year eligible, and One guy who has been waiting a long time the problem snowballs as there are more than 5 solid options becoming eligible in 2022...and so forth...By the time 2027 rolls around I wouldnt be predicting anybody other than TB12 as a lock.

2022 Eligible:
  • DeMarcus Ware
  • Devin Hester
  • Jake Long
  • Andre Johnson
  • Ryan Clady
  • Steve Smith
  • Nick Mangold
2023 Eligible:
  • Joe Thomas
  • Darrell Revis
  • Dwight Freeny
  • Jahri Evans
  • Kam Chancellor
  • James Harrison
2024 Eligible:
  • Julius Peppers
  • Antonio Gates
  • Eric Berry
2025 Eligible:
  • Luke Kuechly
  • Adam Vinateri
  • Marshawn Lynch
  • Eli Manning
  • Ryan Kalil
  • Kyle Long
  • Earl Thomas

Ryan's a lot closer to a HOF resume than people think. However, I think he may end up being the kind of player that prompts HOF voters to draw a line in the sand on him. Maybe down the road he gets voted in by the Old Timers Committee or something.

See below -- on PFR's Hall of Fame Monitor, compared to players who started in 1955 or later, Ryan ranks 12th behind eight HOFers + Brady, Brees, and Aaron Rodgers:

Pro Football QB Hall of Fame Monitor​

The Pro Football Reference Hall of Fame Monitor (HOFm) is a metric designed to estimate a player's chances of making the Pro Football Hall of Fame using AV, Pro Bowls, All-Pros, championships, and various stat milestones. The players listed below are the top 250 HOFm-rated players who played QB starting in 1955 or later for at least 50 career games. A score of 100 is around the average modern-era inductee.

Speculation at it's Finest/ Worst! Not a CHANCE & I'd through the mortgage @ it if this NFL under Godell weren't so "Fed Up"! (add the apostrophe where necessary to make the point more CLEAR!

To me, he falls right in with Philip Rivers. Decent, but not good enough to win when it really counted, even with generational talent at the skill positions. It's a no from me.

No but in a way I feel bad for him because someone like Eli will get in but then a QB like Ryan won’t. Ryan is light years better than Eli… but 28-3. If by someway 28-3 doesn’t happen then Ryan gets in but it did and he won’t.

Ryan isn’t as good as Marino and hasn’t been to as many Super Bowls as Kelly so his one appearance albeit a loss is not gonna be enough. 28-3 is the reason he won’t.

I also tried to throw 28-3 in there as much as I could.
I REALLY wanted to argue with you about Eli Manning vs Matt Ryan, but you are correct. Ryan is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Eli, but Eli has an 80%+ chance of getting into the HOF. Because of that, I'll say Matt Ryan gets in about 7 years after Eli gets in. I don't think either guy should be in, but about 25% of current HOF members should not be in the HOF.

This question was posed to the 31 finest NFL judges in Canton and by 28-3 vote an overwhelming NO was determined.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom