Isaac Yiadom signed with the 49ers (1 Viewer)

I'm all for it, if that's what's happening. I feel we need a reset. I know I'm in the minority and that's ok.

I don't disagree with you. I do think it's time for at least a soft reset where they take a step back this year and maybe next to build better young talent as their aging vets begin to move out. I don't believe in tearing it down and starting over. But, if they are going to do a soft reset, they really need to get more draft picks somehow and they need to find a good young QB. Having more cap money and more picks are useless unless they can find a good young QB.

But the cost of doing this is going to be guys like Yiadom, Baun, Roach, etc. leave and get replaced by younger options with more upside (like Gay) or just younger guys from the draft. And your #2 QB is your 4th round pick from last year instead of a good vet backup.

I don't disagree with you. I do think it's time for at least a soft reset where they take a step back this year and maybe next to build better young talent as their aging vets begin to move out. I don't believe in tearing it down and starting over. But, if they are going to do a soft reset, they really need to get more draft picks somehow and they need to find a good young QB. Having more cap money and more picks are useless unless they can find a good young QB.

But the cost of doing this is going to be guys like Yiadom, Baun, Roach, etc. leave and get replaced by younger options with more upside (like Gay) or just younger guys from the draft. And your #2 QB is your 4th round pick from last year instead of a good vet backup.
If the team accumulates more picks or even stays with what they have then that will confirm to me that they are indeed starting a soft reset. I'll be amazed if we stand pat or accumulate more picks tho. Truly.

I agree with your points, regarding QB I think Jake could be good in this new system. I have hope for him.

I don't think the Saints get to choose who he signs with and until we see the numbers we don't know if it was a cheap price or not.

He's certainly a big loss as he was great depth and a solid starter when called on, but the Saints also can't compete with what S.F. has to offer, namely a legitimate shot to win the Super Bowl. And, unfortunately, S.F. is so far ahead of us right now that they really aren't our competition. Our competition is our Division. Winning anything beyond that would be amazing, but not very likely until we build more talent.
Exactly

49ers have just 1.6M available cap space listed on OTC. Saints have 10x more after recent FA signings. FO unfortunately didn’t value investing cap towards Yiadom’s new deal as the 4th CB. He outplayed where he was listed on our depth chart.
This is just a question....
What if some of these players just don't want to play here? All I have to reference is the attitude and culture stuff last season....just playing devil's advocate. It isn't just about the money, some folks may just not want to be in New Orleans.

Maybe we offered more money, and still got turned down. If so, that would remind me of Deion breaking my heart in the early 90's when we offered way more money and he said no way Jose lol. Still hurts. 😂

If the team accumulates more picks or even stays with what they have then that will confirm to me that they are indeed starting a soft reset. I'll be amazed if we stand pat or accumulate more picks tho. Truly.

I agree with your points, regarding QB I think Jake could be good in this new system. I have hope for him.

I don't have much hope that they will accumulate picks at least not unless they trade Lattimore, but those picks would likely be for next year given they can't really trade him until June 2. I have some hope that they will stay where they are, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a trade back.

As far as Haener, I'm all for giving him a shot to develop, but I also think they need to take a QB in the draft every year until they hit on a guy either in the early rounds or in the mid to late rounds like Purdy, Russel Wilson, Dak, etc. Even our greatest player of all time was a QB picked in the 2nd round. So, keep taking swings at one every year until you find one. Haener can compete with the draft picks and let the winner start.

I don't have much hope that they will accumulate picks at least not unless they trade Lattimore, but those picks would likely be for next year given they can't really trade him until June 2. I have some hope that they will stay where they are, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a trade back.

As far as Haener, I'm all for giving him a shot to develop, but I also think they need to take a QB in the draft every year until they hit on a guy either in the early rounds or in the mid to late rounds like Purdy, Russel Wilson, Dak, etc. Even our greatest player of all time was a QB picked in the 2nd round. So, keep taking swings at one every year until you find one. Haener can compete with the draft picks and let the winner start.
I'll be in attendance for the draft, probably drop of a myocardial infarction if we traded back or even if we stand pat.

I agree again, on the QB angle. I think Jake could be Brock tho.

This is just a question....
What if some of these players just don't want to play here? All I have to reference is the attitude and culture stuff last season....just playing devil's advocate. It isn't just about the money, some folks may just not want to be in New Orleans.

Maybe we offered more money, and still got turned down. If so, that would remind me of Deion breaking my heart in the early 90's when we offered way more money and he said no way Jose lol. Still hurts. 😂
With Baun, Roach and Yiadom, it looks like they’re leaving for increased roles and better pay. They’re mostly buried behind other players here with no significant defined role unless injury to other players occurs.

Baun and Lonnie Johnson thanked the fans, city and team on social media on their way out so I don’t think it’s our FAs don’t want to be here. Roach also expressed how much he loved being a Saint.

They have better business opportunities offered elsewhere. Winning teams like Philly and 49ers giving them those opportunities can influence them to make a decision but it looks more to do with the promotion. We could also look at it as we’ve consistently developed previously unknown talent/depth into significant players who teams want as starters as soon as they become FAs.

I’m not sweating this dude leaving at all. For all of DAs faults, he gets the most out of DBs. He knows how to identify them and coach them up. We will sign another guy and do this all again next season. I’m giving credit where credit is due. We develop DBs.

People need to look at this more like a glass half full than half empty. Yiadom went from #4 boundary CB with the Saints to a chance to maybe start for the NFC Champions.

Easy to dump on the team, but he was going to be the #4 boundary CB for the Saints unless they traded Lattimore, which in my opinion would be crazy to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom