Israel (3 Viewers)

It's not because I 'don't like to review the scope of history'.

It's because the subject (my post) was referencing the US bombing targets in Yemen and claiming that it was a 'de-escalation practice', and you in response posted that it reminded you how the US has kept the sea lanes open since 1797.

Copy and pasting historical blurbs isn't an answer to the question I asked you. It's not really a great way to answer any question, to be honest.
The first question you asked me was hard to distill. So I focused on the second question you asked me, "Thoughts?"

"Thoughts?"
, I gave you thoughts as an answer because that was the question I could distill. .

About that first irrational question:

"Maybe you could also tell me what you do when the enemy ships weapons used to slaughter 10's of thousands of your neighbors in a bordering country and take their land and navigates right past you to do it?"

That question is both implausible and moot. At no point has this forever struggle been a war at sea, strictly a land thing.

No merchant ships that I'm aware of carry weapons that have the range or the power to bombard a distant shore line.

Until they started shooting at the merchant ships. no one was shooting at their missiles with warships to make them stop it.

You mentioned "historical blurbs" I don't think there is such a thing unless you're talking about blurbs which just happen to be for historical books.

This is a blurb, it also happens to be historical, it's old. Beyond that a blurb has nothing to do with history. It's an advertisement for something which is published to be sold to readers.

330px-Blurbing.jpg

The Proud Purple Penultimate!

About that first irrational question:

"Maybe you could also tell me what you do when the enemy ships weapons used to slaughter 10's of thousands of your neighbors in a bordering country and take their land and navigates right past you to do it?"

That question is both implausible and moot. At no point has this forever struggle been a war at sea, strictly a land thing.

I don't think that it's irrational at all. As a hypothetical, or at least mine, it isn't meant to imply real world historical contexts. Purely speculative.

You explained what would happen if an enemy attacked your ship, remember? No historical context needed there. Just reacting to an attack as any reasonable human would - at least from my perspective. I took that as a hypothetical.

Or perhaps it's happened to you in real life. That's fair, but besides the point I was trying to make. All I am saying is that for the purpose of my response to you, I took it as such.

So - I simply asked you to consider a hypothetical further - where the situation would be an ACTUAL situation if you were Yemeni. Or even American in an alternate universe where the US isn't a world power and another 'enemy' nation is. But without taking into account any of the 'labels', 'sides', or history.

That's it.

You mentioned "historical blurbs" I don't think there is such a thing unless you're talking about blurbs which just happen to be for historical books.

This is a blurb, it also happens to be historical, it's old. Beyond that a blurb has nothing to do with history. It's an advertisement for something which is published to be sold to readers.

330px-Blurbing.jpg

The Proud Purple Penultimate!

That's interesting, thanks for sharing and the correction. It might have been an example of semantic shifting / conflating the definition with something else on my part.

Although, I did see a few definitions (after quite a bit of search) that pointed to a potential for other use-cases. Such as below:

1707230931085.png
blurb - Vocab.com

I don't think that it's irrational at all. As a hypothetical, or at least mine, it isn't meant to imply real world historical contexts. Purely speculative.

You explained what would happen if an enemy attacked your ship, remember? No historical context needed there. Just reacting to an attack as any reasonable human would - at least from my perspective. I took that as a hypothetical.

Or perhaps it's happened to you in real life. That's fair, but besides the point I was trying to make. All I am saying is that for the purpose of my response to you, I took it as such.

So - I simply asked you to consider a hypothetical further - where the situation would be an ACTUAL situation if you were Yemeni. Or even American in an alternate universe where the US isn't a world power and another 'enemy' nation is. But without taking into account any of the 'labels', 'sides', or history.

That's it.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing and the correction. It might have been an example of semantic shifting / conflating the definition with something else on my part.

Although, I did see a few definitions (after quite a bit of search) that pointed to a potential for other use-cases. Such as below:

1707230931085.png
blurb - Vocab.com
An Interesting addition to what I already knew about blurbs.

I had never seen the close connected blurbs have with abstracts, but now I realize the two words are almost synonyms, and as a pair are like bookends. I suppose one could apply both, one attached to both ends of a book.

Why the abstract could be the choo choo's engine, and a blurb could follow at the end as the choo choo's caboose.

BTW-no one ever attacked a ship I was on. Not even those Red Soviets, and they had the opportunity to do just that, they choose instead to follow me ashore, where they closed the Elbow Room bar in Dutch Harbor drinking with me, instead of attacking my ship. We became friends.

Click on the tanker to get to a gCaptain article.

gCaptian is generally a good source for seafaring matters. In this case it is a Bloomsburg article they are reprinting and this gets it past the pay wall Bloomburg has.

From the article:

The number of Greek-owned tankers hauling Russian crude fell to just eight in January, vessel tracking data compiled by Bloomberg show. That’s down from as more than 40 in May and about 20 through most of the second half of last year.

The exodus comes after the US Treasury spooked western tanker owners by asking them to explain what they’d done to comply with a $60 a barrel Group of Seven price cap on Russian oil. Officials from two Athens-based companies said shortly after that they were treading carefully while they evaluated the situation.

The notices were sent in November to companies in about a dozen countries, and were followed up with sanctions imposed on firms trading Russian oil and shipowners helping to move it.

If a story about Hamas doing something like this, there would have been 10 posts talking about how sick those savages are.

The IDF admits to producing snuff films of war crimes, and not a peep from most the pro Israel crowd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom