I've never said it before, but I think it's time... (1 Viewer)

I've been saying this since last season. I love Sean Payton and I know he will have a playoff caliber team wherever he ends up, but it's time for major change. It's better for both parties involved.

There have been a number of coaches the team has parted with, going back to Gary Gibbs. It's fan folklore that some of the coaches must only still be around because they are Payton's "buddies". I'm not defending any of them individually, and I have my own reservations about some of the results under their guidance, but I also understand, as fans, we are in on so little of what actually goes on in the facility and with the team.

There are 32 NFL head coaching jobs - I've got to think that Payton doesn't knowingly self-sabotage his own career out of loyalty to coaches he otherwise thinks are incompetent, but that he personally likes. We might not all agree with his staffing choices, but I think it's silly to think he's more interested in running a treehouse club than he is in achieving success and solidifying his own career and legacy.

Exactly, its more about bargain bin players. Its a gamble in the modern NFL. Some teams throw way to much money at FAs and it just doesn't work. The teams that are solid on defense, draft players that fit their system. We keep changing DCs, so who would know what fits our system. Plus we keep drafting players with previous injury issues, you can't coach players that can't get on the field. The positional coaches don't make game time decisions, the teach fundamental techniques, like zone blocking, stunts, etc. Its the DC that runs the chess board and for a long time we haven't had a good one.

Next year we are going to have to spend and hope we get a young pass rusher and a CB that can stay healthy and figure out who is going to be our MLB. If we get the right one it won't matter who coaches the lbers.

Snead was out. if you're going to hammer the coaches at least know what's going on.

Not to mention that Lewis was pretty good.

Oh I know Snead was out, but we still had a Heisman trophy winning runningback and three other wideouts that needed balls. Plus a 7 million dollar tight end that needs work with Brees. To me the whole Parcells said keep Tommy Lee on the team is a bit odd. . . just making a point that we still seem to be working on preseason stuff. It was mentioned a couple weeks ago that Payton was letting Carmichael call plays while Patyon evaluated players.

Oh I know Snead was out, but we still had a Heisman trophy winning runningback and three other wideouts that needed balls. Plus a 7 million dollar tight end that needs work with Brees. To me the whole Parcells said keep Tommy Lee on the team is a bit odd. . . just making a point that we still seem to be working on preseason stuff. It was mentioned a couple weeks ago that Payton was letting Carmichael call plays while Patyon evaluated players.

you watched that game last night and then came on here today to complain about the offense?

It's more the principle of the way the team has slid down and down that is what has me leaning to the moving on from Payton side of things.

I know I said last year if our year this year was like 2015, I'd want Payton gone.

And then we get devastated by injuries.

But it just feels like it might need to happen. Of course, a lot of NFL season left. Plenty of time to make some improvements. But it just feels wrong. Our players have talent. But feels like something needs to be done to uncork this team's future properly.

These expensive FA fiascos have prevented us from spending money on a deeper bench. I'm hopeful that Loomis and Payton have learned their lessons, and I would like to see 1 more year with Payton and a deeper bench.

you watched that game last night and then came on here today to complain about the offense?

Nope, the first three games. And no I didn't come on here to complain, I came on here to read about my favorite team and the state they are in. To contribute to a discussion as to where the future is leading and what players will be a part of it ;)

I don't think its time yet. Greg McMahon, sure but look how many starters were out on defense last night. The offense still scored points. I'm actually encouraged by Sterling Moore and the fact we have some cap room. A new defensive coordinator with major pieces missing is going to have a negative impact. Many of these guys have just been thrown together. You can't expect that not to have a immediate impact on what you see out there.

It's been 3 years with or without starters. It's been with 5 defensive coordinators. At some point you have to point at the common denominator and quit blaming the variable.

Bonchie, In the words of the uber legendary band Alabama, You have gone from 0-60 in 4.2.

It's been 3 years with or without starters. It's been with 5 defensive coordinators. At some point you have to point at the common denominator and quit blaming the variable.
We were at that point last year.

Seriously, did we really need another "Fire Payton" thread? Oh wait... you're being calm and logical so it's different. :rolleyes:

C'mon, Man!

This is not a fire Payton thread for starters (reading is key). It would have to be a mutual parting with another team involved. Nor is it a thread to bash him like the other one.

So yes, I felt it was significantly different as to warrant it's own thread. Nothing was going to get logically discussed in that other thread if I put this on page 12 of it after a dozen pages of people going at each other over how crappy Payton supposedly is.

Slow Down! We were playing backups at every level of the defense. It took that for Atlanta to finally get a win against us. Congrats to them *****es! I'm not even going to say that Greg should be fired though, because it has never worked.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I honestly thought about not hitting submit on this after typing it up,

I think that describes most of us. The divide between those who want to fire Payton and those who want to keep him is not that wide. Only a few are hard core about firing or keeping him on board.

I thought about this last night too. It's a tough decision because Payton brought the team to highs we never dreamed of. The offense is still a powerhouse, but damn the defense is still a work in progress after 3 years of tinkering. But..to be fair, I think we're on the right track. The defense had been competitive in the first two games, but the amount of injuries is staggering. Atlanta took advantage of the Saints not having Davison and KV on the field.

Yet, something else is missing that we haven't had in a long time. A fire and intensity. We saw some glimmers last year with the rookies, but this year there just doesn't seem to be any excitement. The Saints used to own prime time games. They were just amped to play a national game and destroy a team. Is that coaching? A Paytonism is playing with a sense of urgency and intensity but it just isn't translating.

I hate to bring up 2012 but when a coach leaves the game for a period of time it's difficult to recapture that initial magic. I know it was only one season, but I've said it before: Payton lost the pulse of the team while he was away. 2013 was a mirage and since 2014 we've been trying to rebuild. I'm not sure Payton has ever regained his momentum. Losing vets that had helped build that culture of wining and replacing them with overpriced free agents just blew up in our faces.

I do agree with David though. i believe Payton has until 2017 to fully right the ship. The injuries are giving him a mulligan. However, if this season is a full on disaster (meaning 5 wins or less) all bets are off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom