I've watched 5 of Rattlers games, here's what I think. (2 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's a steal. He's got negatives, no doubt, but the situation, injuries, scheme, play-calling, and lack of talent absolutely tanked his ability to display top 50 talent.

The negatives
- Drifts backwards in the pocket
- can be late on throws/Needs a #1 WR
- decision making
- throw location can be spotty
- Goal line arm??

*Rattlers tendency to drift backwards in the pocket does him no favors. It's an annoying habit that helps the rush, he needs to get it cleaned up. He can be late on throws because he'll dial in on his trusted weapon and take too long come off it. He and a #1 WR w/ jump ball ability could make wonderful music together because if he trusts the guy, he'll throw him 50/50 balls when they need a play. Rattler and AT Perry should become fast friends. His decision making is a bit hero-ballish but not quite to the degree of Jameis. There was an INT vs Clemson that he threw and it's like....cmon man toss that away. In his defense it was a two-man route concept and the defense had seven people in coverage, so it was doomed from the start, but you've got to throw that away and keep possession. As far as throwing location, he's accurate, but sometimes the balls aren't in the best place, and it makes it a tougher catch. Again, I point back to him needing a WR like Perry or Lagette who have a large catch radius, they'll make him look better and he'll make them money. Finally, the goal line arm. I haven't seen him make a lot of plays down there. Especially off script plays where he's got to whip it into a tight space. There's one or two but it's not a common occurrence. Is he a QB that can finish in the redzone?

The Positives
- Agile in the pocket and in space
- Consistent throwing motion
- Tough SOB
- Good Processor
- Sturdier than he looks.

One of the first things you notice, because he's leaving the pocket so much, is that Rattler can shake a LB or S in a phone booth. Time and time again, he can give a little shimmy and break a defender down. That same agility shows up in the pocket where he can escape some sticky situations routinely. His throwing motion is very whip like, and I'm curious if the consensus on how good his arm is, ranges so much, is because it looks effortless. Some guys when they want to throw a harder ball, you can see it in the motion where they add more velocity, whether he's flicking it 40 yards away or 10, the motion looks the exact same. He's tough as nails with how much he can throw when staring down the barrel of a gun. He takes a ton of hits and pops back up, no worse for wear. There's no question if he'll hold up like we've had w/ Haener due to his slight frame. As a processor Rattler sees things pre and post snap well. You can see him demonstrate his ability to get to other reads from 2020 w/ Oklahoma all the way to 2024 w/ South Carolina. Again, the only knock is, when he needs a big play, he's going to his #1 WR.

With regards to how he treated his teammate in HS I'll say this:

Some people can't take what they dish out. I get the impression that Rattler can, and he's hard on people because he's hard on himself. He called the kid soft, and in his mind, while that may have been true, when you're going to war understanding which one of your teammates can accept harsh criticism, and which ones need positive reinforcement is paramount for a leader. Thus, for me, it's a lesson appropriately learned in youth. Maturity has likely taught him to be more wary of those aspects of battle so that he learns how to motivate each unique individual under his leadership.

Sitting behind Carr for a year, 2 years, 10 games...doesn't matter. If he gets to soak the game up and gets some good coaching in a great system, he's absolutely got the talent to be one of the best QB's from this class.

Some people can't take what they dish out. I get the impression that Rattler can, and he's hard on people because he's hard on himself. He called the kid soft, and in his mind, while that may have been true, when you're going to war understanding which one of your teammates can accept harsh criticism, and which ones need positive reinforcement is paramount for a leader. Thus, for me, it's a lesson appropriately learned in youth. Maturity has likely taught him to be more wary of those aspects of battle so that he learns how to motivate each unique individual under his leadership.
A star athlete in high school acts like a spoiled brat? I'm SHOCKED. I'm sure he's matured since those days. Well...I hope.

He's a steal. He's got negatives, no doubt, but the situation, injuries, scheme, play-calling, and lack of talent absolutely tanked his ability to display top 50 talent.

The negatives
- Drifts backwards in the pocket
- can be late on throws/Needs a #1 WR
- decision making
- throw location can be spotty
- Goal line arm??

*Rattlers tendency to drift backwards in the pocket does him no favors. It's an annoying habit that helps the rush, he needs to get it cleaned up. He can be late on throws because he'll dial in on his trusted weapon and take too long come off it. He and a #1 WR w/ jump ball ability could make wonderful music together because if he trusts the guy, he'll throw him 50/50 balls when they need a play. Rattler and AT Perry should become fast friends. His decision making is a bit hero-ballish but not quite to the degree of Jameis. There was an INT vs Clemson that he threw and it's like....cmon man toss that away. In his defense it was a two-man route concept and the defense had seven people in coverage, so it was doomed from the start, but you've got to throw that away and keep possession. As far as throwing location, he's accurate, but sometimes the balls aren't in the best place, and it makes it a tougher catch. Again, I point back to him needing a WR like Perry or Lagette who have a large catch radius, they'll make him look better and he'll make them money. Finally, the goal line arm. I haven't seen him make a lot of plays down there. Especially off script plays where he's got to whip it into a tight space. There's one or two but it's not a common occurrence. Is he a QB that can finish in the redzone?

The Positives
- Agile in the pocket and in space
- Consistent throwing motion
- Tough SOB
- Good Processor
- Sturdier than he looks.

One of the first things you notice, because he's leaving the pocket so much, is that Rattler can shake a LB or S in a phone booth. Time and time again, he can give a little shimmy and break a defender down. That same agility shows up in the pocket where he can escape some sticky situations routinely. His throwing motion is very whip like, and I'm curious if the consensus on how good his arm is, ranges so much, is because it looks effortless. Some guys when they want to throw a harder ball, you can see it in the motion where they add more velocity, whether he's flicking it 40 yards away or 10, the motion looks the exact same. He's tough as nails with how much he can throw when staring down the barrel of a gun. He takes a ton of hits and pops back up, no worse for wear. There's no question if he'll hold up like we've had w/ Haener due to his slight frame. As a processor Rattler sees things pre and post snap well. You can see him demonstrate his ability to get to other reads from 2020 w/ Oklahoma all the way to 2024 w/ South Carolina. Again, the only knock is, when he needs a big play, he's going to his #1 WR.

Sitting behind Carr for a year, 2 years, 10 games...doesn't matter. If he gets to soak the game up and gets some good coaching in a great system, he's absolutely got the talent to be one of the best QB's from this class.
Good write up. Man, how I wish Brees would spend some time with him and show him the little nuances of preparing week after week and becoming a coach on the field for the offense

I think he's the best QB prospect the Saints have drafted in a long long time. This is a great opportunity for him, and he surely can grow his game. Saints need new attitude guys, like CJGJ was.

He was smart to spend two seasons at South Carolina, after getting sideways for weird carpetbagger Lincoln Riley.

Looking forward to seeing him in the camps. Could be fun with some crazy mixed in.

The competition for #2 is going to be the story of camp.

Ordinarily, I'd give the edge to Haener because he has had a year in the system. In this case, both Haener and Rattler will have to learn the new system. Haener doesn't even have the edge of knowing his way around training camp this year.

Good stuff, EJW. Thanks.

I don’t like Pennix going to Atlanta, but given the option of Pennix at 14 or stealing Rattler at pick 150, it’s Rattler by a wide margin.

I think we may have our Jalen Hurts pick. A great young college prospect whose college career was derailed by unknown circumstances. Love this pick.

Good write up. Man, how I wish Brees would spend some time with him and show him the little nuances of preparing week after week and becoming a coach on the field for the offense
Brees would be a great resource for him. I think Gruden, who worked with Haener could have a huge impact on him. I wouldn't doubt that Gruden will play a role in his development. Just a hunch

If rattler beats Haener for the backup spot, do we keep Haener as 3rd qb and probably cut mond and peterman? Or should we let mond be 3rd string cut peterman and shop Haener for a late round pick?

Elias … after reading your write-up, how close a comparison is Rattler to young Russel Wilson? You mentioned Rattler’s escapability — does Rattler throw well on the run?

I’m going to guess the 3rd QB (either Haener or Rattler) will be game day inactive and they’ll putt Peterman up from practice squad as the emergency QB on game days. He’s be a better “eye in the sky” for Carr

I think he's the best QB prospect the Saints have drafted in a long long time. This is a great opportunity for him, and he surely can grow his game. Saints need new attitude guys, like CJGJ was.

He was smart to spend two seasons at South Carolina, after getting sideways for weird carpetbagger Lincoln Riley.

Looking forward to seeing him in the camps. Could be fun with some crazy mixed in.
Crazy, but honest question: other than Archie Manning, who is the best QB the Saints have ever drafted?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom