I've watched 5 of Rattlers games, here's what I think. (1 Viewer)

He's a steal. He's got negatives, no doubt, but the situation, injuries, scheme, play-calling, and lack of talent absolutely tanked his ability to display top 50 talent.

The negatives
- Drifts backwards in the pocket
- can be late on throws/Needs a #1 WR
- decision making
- throw location can be spotty
- Goal line arm??

*Rattlers tendency to drift backwards in the pocket does him no favors. It's an annoying habit that helps the rush, he needs to get it cleaned up. He can be late on throws because he'll dial in on his trusted weapon and take too long come off it. He and a #1 WR w/ jump ball ability could make wonderful music together because if he trusts the guy, he'll throw him 50/50 balls when they need a play. Rattler and AT Perry should become fast friends. His decision making is a bit hero-ballish but not quite to the degree of Jameis. There was an INT vs Clemson that he threw and it's like....cmon man toss that away. In his defense it was a two-man route concept and the defense had seven people in coverage, so it was doomed from the start, but you've got to throw that away and keep possession. As far as throwing location, he's accurate, but sometimes the balls aren't in the best place, and it makes it a tougher catch. Again, I point back to him needing a WR like Perry or Lagette who have a large catch radius, they'll make him look better and he'll make them money. Finally, the goal line arm. I haven't seen him make a lot of plays down there. Especially off script plays where he's got to whip it into a tight space. There's one or two but it's not a common occurrence. Is he a QB that can finish in the redzone?

The Positives
- Agile in the pocket and in space
- Consistent throwing motion
- Tough SOB
- Good Processor
- Sturdier than he looks.

One of the first things you notice, because he's leaving the pocket so much, is that Rattler can shake a LB or S in a phone booth. Time and time again, he can give a little shimmy and break a defender down. That same agility shows up in the pocket where he can escape some sticky situations routinely. His throwing motion is very whip like, and I'm curious if the consensus on how good his arm is, ranges so much, is because it looks effortless. Some guys when they want to throw a harder ball, you can see it in the motion where they add more velocity, whether he's flicking it 40 yards away or 10, the motion looks the exact same. He's tough as nails with how much he can throw when staring down the barrel of a gun. He takes a ton of hits and pops back up, no worse for wear. There's no question if he'll hold up like we've had w/ Haener due to his slight frame. As a processor Rattler sees things pre and post snap well. You can see him demonstrate his ability to get to other reads from 2020 w/ Oklahoma all the way to 2024 w/ South Carolina. Again, the only knock is, when he needs a big play, he's going to his #1 WR.

With regards to how he treated his teammate in HS I'll say this:

Some people can't take what they dish out. I get the impression that Rattler can, and he's hard on people because he's hard on himself. He called the kid soft, and in his mind, while that may have been true, when you're going to war understanding which one of your teammates can accept harsh criticism, and which ones need positive reinforcement is paramount for a leader. Thus, for me, it's a lesson appropriately learned in youth. Maturity has likely taught him to be more wary of those aspects of battle so that he learns how to motivate each unique individual under his leadership.

Sitting behind Carr for a year, 2 years, 10 games...doesn't matter. If he gets to soak the game up and gets some good coaching in a great system, he's absolutely got the talent to be one of the best QB's from this class.
EXCELLENT analysis and I agree 100%.
I will be very transparent that I have been a harsh critic and a die hard Rattler fan since he entered the college ranks. Essentially hot and cold with him, with his ups and downs. I know this kid has all of the tools and that’s not just “cliche” talk, he’s got all of them. I would have hated if we spent a high pick on him, but getting him in the 5th, was an absolute no brainer. Mentally he’s there with a pro style offense to go along with his physical abilities. I hope he is willing to let time be his friend, when it comes to learning what it takes to make the leap. He has a chip on his shoulder and I bet he is desperately wanting to prove some people wrong, but it is all a process, and I hope that he understands that. Luckily for him, his obstacles are not of great magnitude, like others who do not possess what he does, nor is he under the pressure of having to perform now. He can literally sit shotgun to DC4 and will have the 1st opportunity to drive when the time comes. Patience, perseverance, persistence, and practice (the 4 “P”s) should be his mantra.

Elias … after reading your write-up, how close a comparison is Rattler to young Russel Wilson? You mentioned Rattler’s escapability — does Rattler throw well on the run?
He has similar elusiveness to Wilson to avoid the rush, but definitely isn’t a fast as Wilson was once they are taking off on the run. Rattler throws very well on the run. That’s part of the “arm talent” comments that are almost always brought up in Rattlers scouting reports. Tons of examples of him dropping dimes both deep downfield and into tight windows while throwing on the run. It’s an aspect that gives him a leg up on guys like Carr and Haener in what he’s capable of doing to make plays out of structure.

Once Dennis Allen completes his journey of leading this team firmly into the toilet (and is finally fired) the new coaching staff will pick their own new QB of the future (and they’ll likely have a high pick to do so…

…and Rattler will be nothing but an afterthought.

Best case scenario, he shows some raw ability and the new regime can trade him for something like a 3rd or a 4th rounder… but I’m not holding my breathe.

If rattler beats Haener for the backup spot, do we keep Haener as 3rd qb and probably cut mond and peterman? Or should we let mond be 3rd string cut peterman and shop Haener for a late round pick?
Heaner and Rattler will fill out the bottom of the roster behind Carr, they are draft picks, and young developmental talent.

Last edited:
Great write up. Curious, which 5 games did you watch?
Florida
Georgia
Missouri
Clemson
North Carolina

If rattler beats Haener for the backup spot, do we keep Haener as 3rd qb and probably cut mond and peterman? Or should we let mond be 3rd string cut peterman and shop Haener for a late round pick?

Whomever is the #3 is probably the guy running the scout team too. I don't see any reason to have either on the team if you keep 3 unless you want another developmental and in that case I'd take Mond.

Elias … after reading your write-up, how close a comparison is Rattler to young Russel Wilson? You mentioned Rattler’s escapability — does Rattler throw well on the run?
Russell always was an off schedule QB. Rattler is not, he just played off schedule a lot due to bad playcalling, play design, scheme, and injuries to Oline. He can get the ball out at the top of his drops and on time when afforded the time, it just wasn't that easy.

A lot of times, you'll look at him and see he's bailing like a few seconds after the snap. Then you see the all 22 and you realize it was because the play-call had max protect and there were only three routes being run. Meanwhile the defense rushed 3 and dropped 8.
Once Dennis Allen completes his journey of leading this team firmly into the toilet (and is finally fired) the new coaching staff will pick their own new QB of the future (and they’ll likely have a high pick to do so…

Best case scenario, he shows some raw ability and the new regime can trade him for something like a 3rd or a 4th rounder… but I’m not holding my breathe.
Don't think that'll happen and I think with some wins and a playoff appearance you'll warm up on Allen.

Last edited:

Damn that was like the ultimate pessimistic take LOL.

Wasted pick for me to see if he is good enough to backup Carr..... which is the best I see him getting

I keep wanting to call him Shane Rattler.. not sure how that affects his projection but I think I'll get it right if he becomes QB1.

Oh. And thanks for the breakdown EJW. I saw the same things you are seeing with him, and we agree on a lot of things about his game.

I pointed quite a few of these things out last year after the Tennessee game, and said then he was a draftable player with QB 1 Pro style upside.

I had him as a late 2nd or 3rd rounder last year. To get him in the 5th was kind of surprising to me. I thought he was as talented as anyone in this draft not named Williams or Daniels. I think if the bottom doesn’t fall out - mentally. He has a legit chance to be the 2 this year, and a starter the following year. And I like Jake too…. But I don’t see him beating out Spencer in a Pro Style Kubiak offense if all things are equal.

Also. Go back and watch the Tenn game. Lol

Last edited:
Can't help but think of a snake when I hear his name. Hope he eventually takes a big bite out of the NFC South teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom