I've watched 5 of Rattlers games, here's what I think. (2 Viewers)

He's a steal. He's got negatives, no doubt, but the situation, injuries, scheme, play-calling, and lack of talent absolutely tanked his ability to display top 50 talent.

The negatives
- Drifts backwards in the pocket
- can be late on throws/Needs a #1 WR
- decision making
- throw location can be spotty
- Goal line arm??

*Rattlers tendency to drift backwards in the pocket does him no favors. It's an annoying habit that helps the rush, he needs to get it cleaned up. He can be late on throws because he'll dial in on his trusted weapon and take too long come off it. He and a #1 WR w/ jump ball ability could make wonderful music together because if he trusts the guy, he'll throw him 50/50 balls when they need a play. Rattler and AT Perry should become fast friends. His decision making is a bit hero-ballish but not quite to the degree of Jameis. There was an INT vs Clemson that he threw and it's like....cmon man toss that away. In his defense it was a two-man route concept and the defense had seven people in coverage, so it was doomed from the start, but you've got to throw that away and keep possession. As far as throwing location, he's accurate, but sometimes the balls aren't in the best place, and it makes it a tougher catch. Again, I point back to him needing a WR like Perry or Lagette who have a large catch radius, they'll make him look better and he'll make them money. Finally, the goal line arm. I haven't seen him make a lot of plays down there. Especially off script plays where he's got to whip it into a tight space. There's one or two but it's not a common occurrence. Is he a QB that can finish in the redzone?

The Positives
- Agile in the pocket and in space
- Consistent throwing motion
- Tough SOB
- Good Processor
- Sturdier than he looks.

One of the first things you notice, because he's leaving the pocket so much, is that Rattler can shake a LB or S in a phone booth. Time and time again, he can give a little shimmy and break a defender down. That same agility shows up in the pocket where he can escape some sticky situations routinely. His throwing motion is very whip like, and I'm curious if the consensus on how good his arm is, ranges so much, is because it looks effortless. Some guys when they want to throw a harder ball, you can see it in the motion where they add more velocity, whether he's flicking it 40 yards away or 10, the motion looks the exact same. He's tough as nails with how much he can throw when staring down the barrel of a gun. He takes a ton of hits and pops back up, no worse for wear. There's no question if he'll hold up like we've had w/ Haener due to his slight frame. As a processor Rattler sees things pre and post snap well. You can see him demonstrate his ability to get to other reads from 2020 w/ Oklahoma all the way to 2024 w/ South Carolina. Again, the only knock is, when he needs a big play, he's going to his #1 WR.

With regards to how he treated his teammate in HS I'll say this:

Some people can't take what they dish out. I get the impression that Rattler can, and he's hard on people because he's hard on himself. He called the kid soft, and in his mind, while that may have been true, when you're going to war understanding which one of your teammates can accept harsh criticism, and which ones need positive reinforcement is paramount for a leader. Thus, for me, it's a lesson appropriately learned in youth. Maturity has likely taught him to be more wary of those aspects of battle so that he learns how to motivate each unique individual under his leadership.

Sitting behind Carr for a year, 2 years, 10 games...doesn't matter. If he gets to soak the game up and gets some good coaching in a great system, he's absolutely got the talent to be one of the best QB's from this class.
I'm curious, did you do the same breakdown on Haener?

Seems to have a great arm and in addition is a scrambler and a threat running the ball. Don't know if that was a big part of his game.

If rattler beats Haener for the backup spot, do we keep Haener as 3rd qb and probably cut mond and peterman? Or should we let mond be 3rd string cut peterman and shop Haener for a late round pick?
My guess, in 2 years it'll be Rattler as 1 & Haener @2 & Carr gone, there's the future.. fwiw..

NW.

Many scouts said the same thing about Haener and his starts were great

That’s fine and all but as far as I can tell, this isn’t a discussion about Haener, so I don’t believe I see your point.

That’s fine and all but as far as I can tell, this isn’t a discussion about Haener, so I don’t believe I see your point.
There's never been a thread about one Saints QB that people didn't also talked about other QB's. The post that started this thread mentions Haener, so I don't see your point.

I do see the point of the other person. Haener likely would have also had a better college career if he was the Alabama starter and probably would have be drafted in the first or second round.

Two young QB's with starting potential is a good thing for the Saints, isn't it?

Or are we just going go ahead and fire up a Rattler vs Haener fued right off the bat to replace the Winston vs Carr fued which repalced the Winston vs Hill which, after a very long hiatus due to Brees, replaced the Brooks vs Delhomme feud?

There's never been a thread about one Saints QB that people didn't also talked about other QB's. The post that started this thread mentions Haener, so I don't see your point.

I do see the point of the other person. Haener likely would have also had a better college career if he was the Alabama starter and probably would have be drafted in the first or second round.

Two young QB's with starting potential is a good thing for the Saints, isn't it?

Or are we just going go ahead and fire up a Rattler vs Haener fued right off the bat to replace the Winston vs Carr fued which repalced the Winston vs Hill which, after a very long hiatus due to Brees, replaced the Brooks vs Delhomme feud?

The only people that are firing up or even making mention of any feud are you guys. I'm literally just minding my business and commenting on the kid we just drafted. As it relates to this discussion, I couldn't care less about Haener or what he would have done at Bama. It's irrelevant to me.

Not everything on the internet needs to be a debate or something for people to intentionally seek out/create disagreement with.

The only mention of Haener in the O.P. is factual data regarding his frame. In no way am I seeing some sort of debate about who is better or has more upside in Ellias' post. All I am seeing is a poster or two oddly offended that people are excited about the new QB we JUST drafted and not talking about Haener currently or singing his praises.

Last edited:
I'm curious, did you do the same breakdown on Haener?

I'm curious...what is your reason for asking this? It's a bit, um, "odd."

Also, care to respond in the other thread about why you feel like Rattler doesn't "Have it between the ears" even though the general consensus from scouts and publications is that he has a high football I.Q. (and also had a 3.8 gpa)?

Really wondering on why you're so hellbent on attacking Rattler and infusing this Haener defense into these discussions.

Last edited:
Having lived in SC for the past decade, I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement of Spencer Rattler being anything but a journeyman backup QB -- I hope he proves me wrong. The guy came into college as the #1 QB and has not lived anywhere close to the hype.

Sure, having support around you is important; but part of being an elite QB is elevating your team around you. To achieve this its more than physical traits; it's about leading your team mentally.

Having lived in SC for the past decade, I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement of Spencer Rattler being anything but a journeyman backup QB -- I hope he proves me wrong. The guy came into college as the #1 QB and has not lived anywhere close to the hype.

Sure, having support around you is important; but part of being an elite QB is elevating your team around you. To achieve this its more than physical traits; it's about leading your team mentally.

Generally, yes, but I’d imagine you’d agree that the SEC is a different beast than most conferences. If you don’t have a complete squad in the SEC, you will have problems regardless of what you have at quarterback.

I'm literally just minding my business and commenting on the kid we just drafted.
Nah, man. You most definitely snapped wise to someone for mentioning another QB. That's not "minding my business," that's getting up someone else's business you you didn't like their business. Nothing personal, it's just business. Now pardon me. I've got to take care of some business.

Nah, man. You most definitely snapped wise to someone for mentioning another QB. That's not "minding my business," that's getting up someone else's business you you didn't like their business. Nothing personal, it's just business. Now pardon me. I've got to take care of some business.

I “snapped wise?” All I did was tell him that my post had nothing to do with Haener and that I don’t understand why he asked me that, but whatever, if you say so.

Seriously..re-read that exchange. I genuinely had no idea I was creating a Haener Vs Rattler debate by making a simple point. I didn’t even know there even WAS a debate since we need to see them in the preseason before forming any opinions…or at least that’s my mindset.

Anything prior to seeing them on the field, to me, is agenda-driven.

Last edited:
I mean… you’ve seen what the Dennis Allen-led Saints look like right? The guy is a total joke of a HC. I don’t understand any optimism where he is involved.
There were a bunch of problems with last year’s team, but you have to give credit to DA for tackling those issues in the offseason. He went out and got the top offensive coordinator on the market. We addressed our biggest player/personnel needs in FA and the draft by landing Chase Young, a starting RT, a high ceiling CB to replace Lattimore or Adebo if they leave, and got the steal of the draft in the 5th round.

If you don’t understand the optimism, perhaps you really aren’t even a Saints fan. To me you come across as a Taysom only fan. I’ve heard you say if the Saints get rid of Taysom you’d stop watching the team even if it was in the best interest of the team to move on from him. Just saying.

If rattler beats Haener for the backup spot, do we keep Haener as 3rd qb and probably cut mond and peterman? Or should we let mond be 3rd string cut peterman and shop Haener for a late round pick?
WHOA...there cowboy, you're getting way ahead of yourself.
Let's watch and learn.

Generally, yes, but I’d imagine you’d agree that the SEC is a different beast than most conferences. If you don’t have a complete squad in the SEC, you will have problems regardless of what you have at quarterback.

I would agree the SEC is definitely more competitive than the other conferences.

That doesn't give Spencer any free pass. There are plenty of players that entered the NFL Draft with more skill, yet failed for the same reason I mentioned above.

To your original response; wouldn't he have a more favorable path to the draft if he stayed in a less competitive conference?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom