Jacob Hester as the Saints FB? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to see Jacob Hester as the Saint's next possible fullback?

• Yes

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 200 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This needs to be a public poll so that I can ridicule the 16 people who want to dump the best FB in the NFL for Jacob Hester.

Seriously.

I am a firm supporter of free speech, but this needs to be deleted and the original poster needs to be banned.

Yet I'm still here. This is only a debate, not a suggestion that the Saints should replace a proven Pro Bowl cusp fullback like Mike Carney with a possible fullback project like unproven Jacob Hester. That would be stupid. Obviously, this got a decent amount of attention. Remember, it takes an equal amount of effort to say I hate this concept as opposed to I love this concept.

I suppose that you measure success in terms of attention? Congrats. You're what keeps daytime talk shows selling ads to the bottom feeders of America when they're not busy auditioning for COPS.

no no no...

Haven't you read Saintsreport this past couple of days? All LSU players are overrated. No LSU players could help improve the Saints. According to SR, LSU prospects will be available as follows:

10th Pick - Glenn Dorsey
3rd Round - Ali Highsmith, Early Doucet
7th Round - Chevis Jackson
UDFA - Hester, Steltz

Didn't you post the EXACT same thing in another thread? :dunno:

Not as a FB, but as a back-up RB, H-back he'd be pretty good.

We also need to prepare for the very real possibility that Deuce will not be back. 2 ACLs is tough to recover from. I could see us entering the season:

Bush
Karney
P Thomas
McAllister (PUP)
Stecker - gone in FA

In that case Hester would be a good fit for us. IMHO we'll have to draft him to get him...he'll go late round 4 to early 6.

I suppose that you measure success in terms of attention? Congrats. You're what keeps daytime talk shows selling ads to the bottom feeders of America when they're not busy auditioning for COPS.

Ouch...that is quite funny though, even if the insult is at my expense. :hihi:

Even if we had FB as a need why would you go after Hester who is not a fullback? If the Saints picked him up all he would be is a camp body.

I don't think we really "need" him. But, he would not be a camp body. At worst he would take the place of guys like gleason or Branch on special teams. At best he would be a good short yardage back running behind Karney and a H-Back that Payton could use as a safety valve in the flat and to catch some of those short passes Payton likes to use to pick up firsts on third and short.

He's not great at anything, other than maybe short yardage, but he can do a lot of things that are valuable to a team. Personally I wouldn't spend more than a late 4th or early 5th on him, but he can do some things for a team.

It's just that so many people want to draft so and so from LSU. If we needed another FB I can guarantee that we would not go after Hester for that.

it would be nice to have two different types of FBs. I don't see us drafting a Fb though

Saints have a extra FB on the practice squad...

Remember Kevin Dudley (went to Mich) from pre-season last year? He ran well and caught the ball well.

Ouch...that is quite funny though, even if the insult is at my expense. :hihi:
I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see him as a Saint, but between Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister, Aaron Stecker, Pierre Thomas and Mike Karney, who do you cut? Maybe if he doesn't get drafted they can throw him an invite to camp where I have no doubt that he would at worst earn a spot on the practice squad, but I'd much rather see him go to some place like Indy or San Diego where he could really excel as another Steve Tasker-Kevin Faulk-type player who is good at everything, great at nothing and a valuable part of a winning team.

However you suggesting Hester as the Saints FB?

You know you should be smacked for that...

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see him as a Saint, but between Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister, Aaron Stecker, Pierre Thomas and Mike Karney, who do you cut?

Honestly, I don't really want to see anybody cut. All of these guys are solid players in the backfield. However, I think Hester would be worth a serious look say if Stecker signed with a new team. I think Hester can bring a lot to the table and seems like he'd have a good chance to be a contributer for the Saints. Maybe not as the starter over Karney as I've been scorned for (lesson learned), but as a utility back that can be put in the HB and FB spot on occasional plays. Sean Payton likes to give opposing teams different looks and a player like Hester can be an additional weapon in the Saint's arsenal. I seriously doubt that the Saints would get him because defense is a glaring need over augmenting the offense.

i had a discussion about him a while back on here. i think hester can be a FB/TE hybrid. a guy that plays like cooley for the redskins. a guy who can block and has proven hands and has speed. he will get drafted.

I think Hester is slightly under rated, and Karney is slightly over rated.
Hester's legs are probably stronger than Karney's. Hester is much faster, more elusive, and has better feet and hands. He would suit our pass-oriented offense perfectly.

There are knocks on Hester's weight at 230 (how much did Roger Craig weigh?) . Weight is a 2-edged sword. If a FB is too massive, it affects his aglilty, and he can miss blocks on swift, agile LB's and blitzing DB's.
If we can get him cheaply, we should. I wouldn't spend a 5th on Hester, but definitely a 6th. I think he will be gone by the 7th. He adds too many dimensions to our offense and ST that Karney simply can't give us.

I really like Karney, but he is a misfit in Payton's pass-oriented offense.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom