Jameis upside is Unfathomable (2 Viewers)

That is an interesting take. Essentially you reduce the errors by disgraming plays that limit the workload on Winston's.

That is pretty close to what Payton intimated he was doing with Tayson.
Except JW can make any throw on the route tree from either hash and can go through a whole progression. It means CSP can make the mismatches he creates count for more and more often.

Except JW can make any throw on the route tree from either hash and can go through a whole progression. It means CSP can make the mismatches he creates count for more and more often.
He CAN'T make every throw in the route tree. His body of work and film show that. He has the potential to, but is extremely inconsistent outside the hashes. His intermediate depth ball placement is errant and he never developed a consistent pattern with pure timing routes. Having a great arm and deep ball doesn't always translate to a pure passer (Jeff George,Jamarcus Russell). As far as whole progressions, he stares down receivers, was given mostly single side field reads and even had trouble pulling the trigger on simple, wide open receivers. If people point out negatives in Hill's game, there are more over consistent time periods from Winston. There is potential that if Winston basically becomes a totally new player, CSP would have more options...but that is like saying if "insert any qb here" can be built to 99 Madden rating, he will be better. A totally revised Winston WOULD be amazing...but you have to think realistically.

He CAN'T make every throw in the route tree. His body of work and film show that. He has the potential to, but is extremely inconsistent outside the hashes. His intermediate depth ball placement is errant and he never developed a consistent pattern with pure timing routes. Having a great arm and deep ball doesn't always translate to a pure passer (Jeff George,Jamarcus Russell). As far as whole progressions, he stares down receivers, was given mostly single side field reads and even had trouble pulling the trigger on simple, wide open receivers. If people point out negatives in Hill's game, there are more over consistent time periods from Winston. There is potential that if Winston basically becomes a totally new player, CSP would have more options...but that is like saying if "insert any qb here" can be built to 99 Madden rating, he will be better. A totally revised Winston WOULD be amazing...but you have to think realistically.
Ok bud, you could have condensed that long winded opinion down because it’s just message board conjecture. CSP says he has great arm talent and can make all the throws.

Ok bud, you could have condensed that long winded opinion down because it’s just message board conjecture. CSP says he has great arm talent and can make all the throws.

Why dumb it down? We'll be reduced to grunts and squeaks next. May as well become a Falcons fan then.

Groovepro's post was informative, well thought out and a valid view point worth expressing.

There is a reason why I think Jameis will be much better than at any point in Tampa. Main one is Tampa’s coaching has been by and large pathetic while he was there. As people have said he was thrown out there, team was put on his back from day one and rather than being coached and mentored was left on his own.

So he comes here and learns from Brees. If he didn’t know how to be professional he wouldn’t have been invited back. There is no way someone who doesn’t care survives a year under Payton and Brees.
Second, Payton is rare in where he designs his offense to his QBs strengths. It’s well known when Brees came Payton created this offense to match Brees strengths, and minimize his weaknesses. Every QB has them. So, if coach is the same as he was in his outlook, this team will look different on offense because of that. Coach isn’t going to ask him to do what he does poorly. Also, Winston here doesn’t have to be the man. He’s got a good defense, a good offense and some exceptional people around him. Get the ball in their hands. Let them do their thing.

Why dumb it down? We'll be reduced to grunts and squeaks next. May as well become a Falcons fan then.

Groovepro's post was informative, well thought out and a valid view point worth expressing.
Less words is not dumbing it down. His long diatribe made you tingle a little. Good for you. Still just a long winded opinion.

I will re-phrase. He has the ability (can...should...) to make all the throws, but he hasn't consistently made all the throws in the route tree. I choose to be "long winded" because the whole picture of Winston isn't a simple, single tiered dynamic. I apologize for using insight and digging a bit deeper than, "you right, he good" or "you wrong, he bad".

I will re-phrase. He has the ability (can...should...) to make all the throws, but he hasn't consistently made all the throws in the route tree. I choose to be "long winded" because the whole picture of Winston isn't a simple, single tiered dynamic. I apologize for using insight and digging a bit deeper than, "you right, he good" or "you wrong, he bad".
Using more words is not digging deeper. Less is usually more unless you get paid by the word. JW has the arm and fundamentals to make every throw on the route tree. This is something Brees could not do from 2016-2020. It is something Taysom cannot do right now.

You can run up the word count all you want, but it is easier to fix a guy that has the skills and mechanics to make all the throws than it is to turn a guy that does not have the arm strength and mechanics into somebody that can throw the whole route tree.

It takes more than a strong arm and being able to stretch all parts of the field to be a
franchise QB, but it is harder to develop a supposed franchise QB that cannot make all the throws.

It would have taken you 5 times as many words to say that.

Using more words is not digging deeper. Less is usually more unless you get paid by the word. JW has the arm and fundamentals to make every throw on the route tree. This is something Brees could not do from 2016-2020. It is something Taysom cannot do right now.

You can run up the word count all you want, but it is easier to fix a guy that has the skills and mechanics to make all the throws than it is to turn a guy that does not have the arm strength and mechanics into somebody that can throw the whole route tree.

It takes more than a strong arm and being able to stretch all parts of the field to be a
franchise QB, but it is harder to develop a supposed franchise QB that cannot make all the throws.

It would have taken you 5 times as many words to say that.
Yet, you still are leaving conjecture, generalized opinion and judgment...guess you win! (there, one sentence)!

I am in the Jameis camp. Excited to see what he can do. The only time I recall seeing him last year was when he came off the bench. I thought he tried to do too much and seemed to show the carelessness with the ball. But, with a full TC and weekly game planning, hopefully that settles down.

Are you saying Jameis has an edge because Payton likes him more than Taysom?

Not really. I am saying that Payton clearly likes what he sees in Jameis and Jameis clearly has the edge in playing time as an actual starting QB. He has also shown he can play at a high level if he can cut down on his INTs. I know a lot of people here are sky-high on Taysom, but the times I have actually seen him start he is pretty *MEH* to me. He may win the job, but I don't think he can hold it for long. JMHO.

I thought he tried to do too much and seemed to show the carelessness with the ball.

That has always been his problem. He tries too hard to win games all on his lonesome and that has led him to make a lot stupid throws. I saw him play with my own eyes in high-school and he seemed to continue that tradition both at Florida State and Tampa Bay. It didn't hurt him much at Florida State because they were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. I just recently read an interview of him where he pretty much admitted it.

I'd also say that occasionally I saw the same thing with Brees. I can think of a few games where he had multiple INTs - I think he had one against Atlanta with 3 - and it was obvious he started getting desperate to pull one out and started to make some ill-advised throws. I tend to think the loss to Tampa this year was more about that and less about arm strength. His arm strength certainly didn't hurt us against Tampa in the first two games. What happened is Tampa kicked their defensive play up a notch, Drew wasn't having his best game and he started to press. He also had some receivers playing like chit which knocked him off his game.

Can Winston get his stuff together and keep it that way when things get tough? I don't know. :unsure: Do I think he gives us our best chance to win? Yeah, probably.

Sean Peyton knows what he has in jameis winston and will show it this season!

Sean Peyton knows what he has in jameis winston and will show it this season!

He has a plan for him like he does for every talented player he's aquired....in the immortal words of Coach Payton "look, we have a vision for the player we like his skillset...."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom