Jameis Winston turned down a "more lucrative" contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Winston is lucky to be here, but he's no Teddy.

I like Teddy Bridgewater, but regarding talent...not in the same stratosphere as Winston. If somehow, someway, Winston improves his decision making by just 25%, he's likely a top 5 QB. He's only 26 years old. People forget that Brees didn't even become Brees until he was 29 year old. It's not inconceivable that Winston is humbled by this experience, that he learns from two of the greatest minds in the history of the game, and improves enough to be a good starting QB in this league.

It's never easy for anyone in any given career to turn down more money. I moved out of state and away from most my family for a pretty significant raise.

We’re not talking about you we’re talking about a millionaire NFL player who can afford to take less money.

We’re not talking about you we’re talking about a millionaire NFL player who can afford to take less money.

Tell that to Jimmy Graham, Leveon Bell, and the list is lonnnnng. Turning down more money is hard for anyone. Saying otherwise shows naivety by the person saying it.

I like Teddy Bridgewater, but regarding talent...not in the same stratosphere as Winston. If somehow, someway, Winston improves his decision making by just 25%, he's likely a top 5 QB. He's only 26 years old. People forget that Brees didn't even become Brees until he was 29 year old. It's not inconceivable that Winston is humbled by this experience, that he learns from two of the greatest minds in the history of the game, and improves enough to be a good starting QB in this league.

Lot's of implied if's, but's, and maybe's there. I'm not optimistic. You can fix a lot of things, but wiring is the hardest of all. If Lat and Mike accept him, maybe I'll warm up to him, but right now I'm questioning Payton's decision to throw such a stink bomb into our locker room.

Tell that to Jimmy Graham, Leveon Bell, and the list is lonnnnng. Turning down more money is hard for anyone. Saying otherwise shows naivety by the person saying it.

We don’t know how much he turned down. He’s betting on himself just like Teddy did. Teddy could’ve been in the 2nd year of an 11 mil contract instead he’s in the first year of a 60 mil contract.

Give me the money Jameis currently has and I’d never have to work again.

Obviously we are not talking about me, no need to act like a jerk. Regardless, my point still stands - its hard for anyone, not just athletes, to turn down more money. "affording" to take less is such a fan take on athletes. These guys have such a short career span that it generally is in their best interest to get as much money as they can regardless of where they go.
Jaemis is looking at this from a career pivot, in a way (so I assume). This move to the saints has a better chance of providing him longevity in this league with potentially bigger contracts in the future as opposed to taking a starting gig on another team ( possibly bad organization) and fizzling out of the league within 4 more years.

I think some of you guys bundle too many things together. Just because a guy makes bad decisions with the football or is immature doesn't mean they're cancerous or a bad teammate. There are guys that are immature throughout their entire career and are productive players and good teammates who are loved by their squad. Think Chad Johnson/Ochocinco or Deion Sanders.

From what I can best figure out from a fan's perspective, Jameis:
- Does not make great decisions with the football
- Is immature in his personal life
- Is a hard worker and is fairly humble
- Is pretty well-liked by his teammates

People are complex.

I wouldn't discount the idea Jameis Winston wants to stick it to Tampa and Tom Brady. The Bucs are trying to take a shortcut that reminds me in part of what the Vikings did with Brett Farve at the end of his career except the Bucs are jettisoning a number one overall pick and demoting a nineteenth overall pick in OJ Howard for two near retirement players for maybe a year or two year run. Winston clearly has arm talent and needs coaching. The Saints seem like a better one year career revival than the Steelers if Winston wants to ascend to a pro bowl level talent rather than erratic Jeff George impersonation. Winston is only 26, he's younger than Taysom at 30 and one year younger than Bridgewater.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom