Job situation update (1 Viewer)

Welp, just finished. I have no idea how I did. I guess we will know soon enough. I'm drained, lol. I did all of this prep and hardly used any of it. Weird.

He called me 30 minutes late, so that didn't help my nerves too.
I'm sure you kicked arse!

I'm sure you kicked arse!

I sure hope so, phone interviews have never been my strong suit because sometimes things get lost in translation. That, and I can't tell how the guy is responding on the phone. I probably asked a few too many questions at the end. For a short interview I feel like I should have asked one, not three. It's done though. In five months this was only my 2nd interview. So, not a lot of practice tbh.

It's never been a question of ability for me. I feel like I just need an opportunity to prove that I can do the job.

I sure hope so, phone interviews have never been my strong suit because sometimes things get lost in translation. That, and I can't tell how the guy is responding on the phone. I probably asked a few too many questions at the end. For a short interview I feel like I should have asked one, not three. It's done though. In five months this was only my 2nd interview. So, not a lot of practice tbh.

It's never been a question of ability for me. I feel like I just need an opportunity to prove that I can do the job.

God bless you, Dave. I pray that you are granted favor with the decision makers and may the Lord open the door wide for the job He has for you very soon.
?

Did he say when they’d be getting back to you?

No, and I probably should have asked. The interpreter wasn't very good and she seemed to miss some of what we were saying. I've read some reviews online who did basically what I'm doing with the same company and location and looks like it usually takes a day or 2. I just hope the interpreter didn't screw up my chances. I've never done a formal phone interview before. All have been in person in the past.

Lol, I'm actually debating whether I should reach out to the recruiter and explain the issues with the interpreter. But...I dunno. I'd rather interview in person and I think the hiring manager would have a better impression than what he got on the phone.

Hard to decide because I don't want them to think this would be a problem in my work. It's never easy with me, :hihi:

Last edited:
Lol, I'm actually debating whether I should reach out to the recruiter and explain the issues with the interpreter. But...I dunno. I'd rather interview in person and I think the hiring manager would have a better impression than what he got on the phone.

Hard to decide because I don't want them to think this would be a problem in my work. It's never easy with me, :hihi:

Any news? I hope you find work soon. This is suppose to be a really good job market.

Any news? I hope you find work soon. This is suppose to be a really good job market.

You would think so, especially here in DC. I sent a follow up email to the recruiter twice last week, explaining the situation with the interpreter during the interview and that shouldn't affect my ability to do the tasks required of the position.

I do know that she seemed pretty enthusiastic in referring me to the hiring manager and she told me I had a really impressive resume. But, having sent two follow up emails without getting a response, I'm concerned I've been "ghosted" yet again. I mean, I don't know, they may still be debating a decision, but it shouldn't take more than a week to figure out whether or not to hire me.

In the meantime, I've continued sending out applications to both Federal and private companies, but nothing new in terms of interviews. Honestly, it just proves to me that deaf and hard of hearing candidates have far higher barriers to entry into the job market than not only the general public, but also among the disabled community.

I mean, I've got all the qualifications I need, I'm a reliable worker (never missed a day at my last full-time position), self-starter, competent communicator who knows how to run meetings, capable of delegating tasks and responsibilities and holding peers and subordinates accountable for their work. Even with the resume and qualifications, it seems that doesn't do much for me.

In 30 years, I've worked a wide variety of jobs and I've never been fired, and never been written up or had negative comments about my work. No matter what I'm doing, I always try to do it well.

If there was a negative for me, I guess it would be that I've never done any highly specialized work. Most of the positions I've held over the years have required working well with people, the ability to perform a wide variety of tasks, follow through, the ability to set short and long term goals and creating a plan to accomplish those goals.

I've always been a bit of a dreamer, big picture sort of guy. I like thinking about what's possible for an organization and not afraid to try new things. I no doubt can do detail-oriented tasks and perform assignments requiring precision, and I've done a lot of that well in the past. It's part of the reason I'm still working part time as an accounting assistant for a local law firm.

This honestly has been the most frustrating 6 months. I'm at a loss for what to do. I mean, if this is one of the hottest economies in the country, why would I uproot my family and go somewhere else where my odds of getting a job goes down? But, I can't afford to stay. I may have enough money to pay the rent in April, but I'm sol when most of my other bills hit mid-month.

To make matters worse, my daughter got sick and brought home this nasty upper respiratory virus, and of course, I got it from her. Had to go to the clinic to get checked out and tested for the flu, which fortunately was ruled out. I'm starting to come out of it now, so hopefully I'll be back to 100% in the next day or 2.

I really need a bit of good news on the job front. My wife and kids are worried and it's stressing all of us out. All I want is for the recruiter to call and give me some good news tomorrow. I don't think that's asking too much.

I'd be remiss not to say thank you, so I want to express my deepest appreciation to those who have donated and helped us get to this point. Your support matters to our family. I tell my wife and kids every time we receive a gift. It's humbling to know that there are people out there who do care. I wish you all the best!

:9:

You would think so, especially here in DC. I sent a follow up email to the recruiter twice last week, explaining the situation with the interpreter during the interview and that shouldn't affect my ability to do the tasks required of the position.

I do know that she seemed pretty enthusiastic in referring me to the hiring manager and she told me I had a really impressive resume. But, having sent two follow up emails without getting a response, I'm concerned I've been "ghosted" yet again. I mean, I don't know, they may still be debating a decision, but it shouldn't take more than a week to figure out whether or not to hire me.

In the meantime, I've continued sending out applications to both Federal and private companies, but nothing new in terms of interviews. Honestly, it just proves to me that deaf and hard of hearing candidates have far higher barriers to entry into the job market than not only the general public, but also among the disabled community.

I mean, I've got all the qualifications I need, I'm a reliable worker (never missed a day at my last full-time position), self-starter, competent communicator who knows how to run meetings, capable of delegating tasks and responsibilities and holding peers and subordinates accountable for their work. Even with the resume and qualifications, it seems that doesn't do much for me.

In 30 years, I've worked a wide variety of jobs and I've never been fired, and never been written up or had negative comments about my work. No matter what I'm doing, I always try to do it well.

If there was a negative for me, I guess it would be that I've never done any highly specialized work. Most of the positions I've held over the years have required working well with people, the ability to perform a wide variety of tasks, follow through, the ability to set short and long term goals and creating a plan to accomplish those goals.

I've always been a bit of a dreamer, big picture sort of guy. I like thinking about what's possible for an organization and not afraid to try new things. I no doubt can do detail-oriented tasks and perform assignments requiring precision, and I've done a lot of that well in the past. It's part of the reason I'm still working part time as an accounting assistant for a local law firm.

This honestly has been the most frustrating 6 months. I'm at a loss for what to do. I mean, if this is one of the hottest economies in the country, why would I uproot my family and go somewhere else where my odds of getting a job goes down? But, I can't afford to stay. I may have enough money to pay the rent in April, but I'm sol when most of my other bills hit mid-month.

To make matters worse, my daughter got sick and brought home this nasty upper respiratory virus, and of course, I got it from her. Had to go to the clinic to get checked out and tested for the flu, which fortunately was ruled out. I'm starting to come out of it now, so hopefully I'll be back to 100% in the next day or 2.

I really need a bit of good news on the job front. My wife and kids are worried and it's stressing all of us out. All I want is for the recruiter to call and give me some good news tomorrow. I don't think that's asking too much.

I'd be remiss not to say thank you, so I want to express my deepest appreciation to those who have donated and helped us get to this point. Your support matters to our family. I tell my wife and kids every time we receive a gift. It's humbling to know that there are people out there who do care. I wish you all the best!

:9:

Yeah, Dave this sounds bad, but you have skills it sounds like. Can you ask the law firm to go full time? If your kids are old enough, maybe they can work part time or full time?!?! What about trying temp agencies for accounting work? At this point, take what you can get. Also, if you apply out of state, maybe it's time for a move, if you get the job?!?!

I will never forget what a teacher told me, "God will provide where he wants you to be." I obviously just know a fraction of what your going through, so please understand I'm trying to help with possible solutions. I would also recommend asking your church friends, if they can help out with your job search. Your friends are usually your best referral for finding work. The old saying, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Yeah, Dave this sounds bad, but you have skills it sounds like. Can you ask the law firm to go full time? If your kids are old enough, maybe they can work part time or full time?!?! What about trying temp agencies for accounting work? At this point, take what you can get. Also, if you apply out of state, maybe it's time for a move, if you get the job?!?!

I will never forget what a teacher told me, "God will provide where he wants you to be." I obviously just know a fraction of what your going through, so please understand I'm trying to help with possible solutions. I would also recommend asking your church friends, if they can help out with your job search. Your friends are usually your best referral for finding work. The old saying, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Yes to almost all of the above. The law firm is a small non-profit and knowing all of their financial situation, hiring a full-time accountant isn't feasible. The lead attorney has stated as much in the past as well. My 2 older kids are both in college, and they both have worked when not in school. My daughter is working part time while in school. My 2 younger ones haven't started yet. One will start working this summer after school lets out. I've actually had to take money from them in the past and want to return it to them as soon as I'm able to.

In the right situation, I'm willing to move. But most likely, I'd leave the family in Virginia so that the kids can finish school. My wife and I committed to not moving again in 2009 after moving 15 times in 12 years. We haven't relocated since then. I'd like to see this through until my daughter graduates HS. After that, we'll re-assess and see where we are at that time.

I have talked with several local pastors and some are keeping an eye out for opportunities.

As for the temp agencies, I've had some bad experiences with them in the past, so I'm not to high on them. To give an example, I saw an ad for a budget analyst position with the US Marshals. It was contracted through a staffing agency. The lady I spoke with contacted me after I applied. I did a brief phone interview. She said she'd get back to me. Since then, I've heard nothing from her. Pretty typical ghosting experience. Most temp agencies I've reached out to don't return my calls. So I don't waste my time with them. You've made good suggestions, and I don't know why, but it's not working for me.

:9:Keep applying, Dave! Strength. Confidence. Resolve. Determination. Endurance.
Remember, the worst they can do is say "No." :9:

Thank you so much! I'm humbled that you and several here have started chipping in. Means more than you know. We're pretty much in survival mode, which is no fun way to live.

Living on credit, talking my language there! Lol. Yeah, we're pretty much at the end of the line this month. Next week, I'll probably have to miss my first payment since all this started. I'm hoping for enough to cover it by the 15th, but we'll see.

I've already spoken with several here about some potential leads, so I'm hopeful something that will come from all this. I'm also interviewing a recruiting agency Monday, but that's probably more of a meet and get to know than a work opportunity. Never know until we get out there and see what it is.

Who dat! :9:
If you can come here to Ms you can get a job here at easy reach where I work. I have no extra money but I can tell you how to get a job here in Hattiesburg Ms. I will pray for you and your wife brother

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom