Kidd to Mavs? (1 Viewer)

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't think this deal makes the Mavs much better, if any better right now. they are losing there entire bench which was a huge strength. There starting 5 will look good on paper, but even then they are all of the sudden and old, slower team. I believe Howard would be the only starter under 30.

I think the Mavs would be better off if they kept their team intact and tried like hell to get a really good big man in the off-season. To me, that's the missing piece, not Kidd.

well prior to this the Stackhouse thing Harris was the only player they were loosing that contributes, offensively Kidd is head and shoulders above Harris and will up the offensive game for the rest of th players, probably Damp as well - Harris had to look to the bench still to get plays.

they are an old team anyway, and getting older every year always saying we will add pieces in the off-season and never adding anyone of major consequence - Bass, Jones are good players, role players and wont make a huge impact though they will help some.

this is about the Mavs wining it all this year, not in the future - they are not as good as they were last year nor the year before - Kidd gives them a chance, as is - they will be lucky to go deep in the second round, if they make it that far. - No players on that roster are true go to game changing players - Dirk, Howard are good players, Jet is a good player - Kidd is better than all of them, if you get Howard and Dirk the ball with a path to the basket or Dirk with a open shot without him having to worry about passing out of double teams etc he will be much better.

basically if you watched the game last night - all you would be doing is adding Kidd and Howard and Stack to that roster, minus Diop and George - together they dont nearly bring what Kidd will add to the mix. that game would have been won if the Mavs had Kidd and Howard and Stack stayed out , add to that Howard and Stack and Jet as a true shooting Guard, with Kidd distributing the ball (and the threat he of Kidd shooting that Harris doesnt have) not to mention Kidds rebounding - Shaq would have been on the bench, he wouldnt be able to keep up.

well prior to this the Stackhouse thing Harris was the only player they were loosing that contributes, offensively Kidd is head and shoulders above Harris and will up the offensive game for the rest of th players, probably Damp as well - Harris had to look to the bench still to get plays.

they are an old team anyway, and getting older every year always saying we will add pieces in the off-season and never adding anyone of major consequence - Bass, Jones are good players, role players and wont make a huge impact though they will help some.

this is about the Mavs wining it all this year, not in the future - they are not as good as they were last year nor the year before - Kidd gives them a chance, as is - they will be lucky to go deep in the second round, if they make it that far. - No players on that roster are true go to game changing players - Dirk, Howard are good players, Jet is a good player - Kidd is better than all of them, if you get Howard and Dirk the ball with a path to the basket or Dirk with a open shot without him having to worry about passing out of double teams etc he will be much better.

basically if you watched the game last night - all you would be doing is adding Kidd and Howard and Stack to that roster, minus Diop and George - together they dont nearly bring what Kidd will add to the mix. that game would have been won if the Mavs had Kidd and Howard and Stack stayed out , add to that Howard and Stack and Jet as a true shooting Guard, with Kidd distributing the ball (and the threat he of Kidd shooting that Harris doesnt have) not to mention Kidds rebounding - Shaq would have been on the bench, he wouldnt be able to keep up.

I just don't think this move makes you the best team in the West, maybe not even in the top 4, so why mortgage the future with Harris and Diop if there's a 90% chance you won't make your goal?

Looks like Dallas has found a way to make it work without involving George or Stack...

NBA Source: Kidd trade deal finalized

This deal is better for the Mavs. Instead of 2 contributors like George and Stackhouse, they lose 2 guys that haven't contributed in Hassel and Van Horn.

I wonder what they're gonna do about a big man to backup Dampier though. Could another trade be on the horizon that includes either George(with his blessing this time) and/or Stackhouse?

I just don't think this move makes you the best team in the West, maybe not even in the top 4, so why mortgage the future with Harris and Diop if there's a 90% chance you won't make your goal?

because Harris, Diop and now Hassell arent going to get you anything either - Kidd has a better chance - Kidd is less than 2 rebounds per game from averaging a triple double for the year.

will they win the west with Kidd, who knows - will they without? IMO no way - Kidd gives the Mavs a true offensive leader who can run plays and create opportunities for the other 4 guys - Paul, Nash and Kidd are the assist leaders this year, and Kidd is now going to be moving to a much Better team - he maybe 35 but he still can play.

i guess you have to look at it this way - do you stay with what hasnt been working just because youre close every year but can get over the hump or improve the team with one of the best players ever to play the position. - Its time for the Mavs to make a major change, they make minor moves basically swapping for similar players, none make a huge impact.

other than this deal the only thing the Mavs could do is make a major move on draft day and get a top PG - this was the only logical and doable deal - its a good move.

IMO Shaq to the Suns makes much less sense

04-fat-lady-sings.jpg

Mavericks finally complete trade for Kidd

BTW, the Mavs first post-trade game?

@ New Orleans, tomorrow night.

Am I the only one that thinks this trade actually works pretty well for the Hornets? To be honest one of the few PG's that could hang with Chris Paul as far as speed wise was Devin Harris and now Harris isn't there any more.

BTW, the Mavs first post-trade game?

@ New Orleans, tomorrow night.

I wonder how many games it'll take for Kidd to "gel" into the offense? :shrug:

Am I the only one that thinks this trade actually works pretty well for the Hornets? To be honest one of the few PG's that could hang with Chris Paul as far as speed wise was Devin Harris and now Harris isn't there any more.

It's an exhibition game and you could argue pretty well that Kidd wasn't giving his all, but Paul was taking Kidd to task pretty well the other night when Kidd tried to man up on him. Paul was much too quick for Kidd and pretty much went wherever he wanted on the court. I'd imagine Dallas will have to put someone quicker and/or longer than Kidd on CP (Terry or Howard?) or try and run more than one defender at him as often as possible when he's bringing it up the court. Problem with the latter option is that Paul usually doesn't turn the ball over and then you're short a rotating defender if the ball is passed out of the double team.

In short, yes I think it causes matchup problems for Dallas on defense. They're going to be dangerous on O, though.

It also works pretty well for the Spurs and Suns if you look at it from that angle. Harris was an exceptional perimeter defender. He always gave Parker and Nash fits with his defense. The Mavs are seemingly losing some on defense on the perimeter. But Kidd should also make it tougher to defend the Mavs as well.

They are also losing interior defense with Diop gone as well. But they're hoping that Brandon Bass can fill in and be a good backup to Dampier.

2/28 @ Spurs. Next 3 are on FSNSW.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom