King: Saints Paid Price For Mare (1 Viewer)

Calling a guy an idiot makes us sensitive overreactors? I never knew idiot was such a powerful word. I now see why people still badger Vanderjagt!

If I called you an idiot, I would get banned.

I think the point of the thread, and citing his quote is perfect SSF material. I just don't see where the ambiguous but valid point he makes warrants the label of "idiot".

And let me guess: Peter King went on to talk about how he changed some guys life by visiting him in a hospital, and how it changed his life also and put everything in perspective. King is a self-righteous blow-hard that tries way too hard to come accross as a softie that cares so much for others. If he cared so much for others, maybe he would have a little tolerance for some of the players with substance abuse and other problems in the NFL instead of ripping them and saying how horrible people they are b/c they aren't perfect like him. Go drink another triple mocha whatever-the-$#%$ latte your pushing in your column today.

This, on the other hand, is a pretty self-important post.

Peter King, after visiting post-Katrina New Orleans, was one of the city's biggest supporters. Consistently and repeatedly. I'll always cut the guy plenty of slack because of that.

No Shawn I like King.

Still, colums are meant to be debated. That is why these guys 1) Have an opinion on everything 2) will present it matter of fact.

I am still shakey about he trade. When I thought Carney was going to retire I was fine with it. Now...I don't know. A six for any position does not seem over board and if we really want to recoup that sixth we could always bump back one of our 4s'.

The way I see it if Mare eliminates the need to have mutli-kickers than it was a good trade. If we sign Cundiff or Vandi mid season...we are out a 6th (Josh Lay/Mike Hass)

The only problem with his comment that I have is the part about the 199th pick being so freaking glorious... as if every 199th pick has turned into a 3-time Super Bowl winning QB... other than that... his comments were OK.

I think the problem we as Saints fan have is when one writer says something (anything) negative about the team (or player on the team)... we seem to jump the guy... when all along its one man's opinion... and he/she has that right... we smash players and teams all the time... what makes our word so golden?

We shouldn't be so sensitive to what people say. Whether they're right or wrong its their opinion... which means about as much as anyone's.

just chill

It's not that he said something negative. I don't have a problem with that. It's that he used a 6th round pick as his basis for the negative comment. If he thinks Mare sucks, that's one thing. If it's be cause we could miss Jerry Rice with our 6th rounder, he's an idiot. Teams have a hard enough time getting their first round pick right, let alone their sixth!

it's the purpose of these sports writers to create debate...if they come out and say everything just as it is, with no opinion, there is nothing to talk about...this writer was actually successful in that he got a discussion going.....so to call him an idiot is silly.....the article served it's purpose

he may not even actually believe what he said, but saw that it would generate a good debate

No Shawn I like King.

Still, colums are meant to be debated. That is why these guys 1) Have an opinion on everything 2) will present it matter of fact.

I am still shakey about he trade. When I thought Carney was going to retire I was fine with it. Now...I don't know. A six for any position does not seem over board and if we really want to recoup that sixth we could always bump back one of our 4s'.

The way I see it if Mare eliminates the need to have mutli-kickers than it was a good trade. If we sign Cundiff or Vandi mid season...we are out a 6th (Josh Lay/Mike Hass)

You essentially said the same thing as King, and I tend to agree with you. If Mare ends up being an 80% kicker, than I'm pretty happy. But it was a trade I had to sort of think about before I was on board with it.

As TI Rider eloquently eluded to, we didn't do too well in the 6th last year. When we get a starting kicker with a 6th round pick, that's a good thing (as long as he doesn't stink). If he plays all year and gets 20 TB's and kicks for 75 %, is reasonably effective in the clutch, we'll have done well.

When I think of 6th round picks, I think more of Josh Lay and Mike Hass than I do Tom Brady. Brady in the 6th was lucky, just like Colston in the 7th was lucky.

I like the value we got this year, again, it's more than what our 2 6s brought us last year.

Mikeeee

It's not that he said something negative. I don't have a problem with that. It's that he used a 6th round pick as his basis for the negative comment. If he thinks Mare sucks, that's one thing. If it's be cause we could miss Jerry Rice with our 6th rounder, he's an idiot. Teams have a hard enough time getting their first round pick right, let alone their sixth!

I don't exactly get your point. Kings says that the Saints gave up the chance to draft a potential great player. He illustrates that by pointing out that Brady was drafted with that pick - that's his job.

Obviously this chance is pretty slim. So the question is; Is Mare worth giving up that chance? I say yes but I know a few Dolphins say who would say no and they were surprised the Fins got anything at all for Mare.

It was clear to all of us that we had to address the kicking dept. this offseason. A three man team just wasn't going to get it done. Mare for a 6th is decent. Not too many 6ths can come in immediatly and contribute like Mare can. I like this pick only if he can come back to his former self and hit those long ones.

our opponents enjoyed excellent field position on our kickoffs. I think their average starting field position after kickoffs was more than most other teams starting point.

4. I think I'm not sure Olindo Mare will be worth a sixth-round pick

This is the only part that makes me say "huh...what?" It's almost like he was playing with both openings and forget to delete one.

No actually if you look they all start with "I think..." because they are part of his "10 things I think I think section of his article."

And let me guess: Peter King went on to talk about how he changed some guys life by visiting him in a hospital, and how it changed his life also and put everything in perspective. King is a self-righteous blow-hard that tries way too hard to come accross as a softie that cares so much for others. If he cared so much for others, maybe he would have a little tolerance for some of the players with substance abuse and other problems in the NFL instead of ripping them and saying how horrible people they are b/c they aren't perfect like him. Go drink another triple mocha whatever-the-$#%$ latte your pushing in your column today.

That being said, his comment about Mare didn't really offend me. I had just been holding those feelings on King in for so long.

As for the actual comment it looks like King was going to say something about Mare, he does have 10 items to fill up and it was a pretty slow week NFL wise, so decided hey this is an interesting fact Tom Brady was selected with the 199th pick overall and that is what just got traded for Mare so let me work it in there. He's not saying the Dolphins are going to find a future HOF'er with our pick and that we are moron's he's just trying to injecting something in the comment to make it a little longer and more interesting. As someone pointed out King has been very supportive of the Saints staying in New Orleans, he even purchased 4 season tickets and donated them to Habitate for Humanity (I think I could be wrong about the specific group). Lightin' up people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom