Know who to pull for: week 11 (1 Viewer)

If your assumption came to pass, and we were in the "unlikely" position of playing SF on Dec. 3rd for what amounted to a wild card berth... And if we subsequently lost that game, then we don't deserve to go to the post season this year... JMHO

I hear you, but thats logic I never followed. Chicago lost to Miami at home, would that mean they dont deserve to go?

I'll take the playoffs any way I can get them this year. If we end up tied with SF and they go because they get the wildcard would you really not look back and wish the niners lost to the seahawks?

If you win enough games to get in you "deserve" to go in my book, no matter how you get in.

I really dont find my assumption all that unlikely either. I can see us losing to Cincy and I can see the 49ers beating seattle. Neither outcome would be viewed as some big upset. Its not probable, just very possible.

I hear you, but thats logic I never followed. Chicago lost to Miami at home, would that mean they dont deserve to go?

I'll take the playoffs any way I can get them this year. If we end up tied with SF and they go because they get the wildcard would you really not look back and wish the niners lost to the seahawks?

At this point in time, no, because I don't see SF as a serious interruption in our post season plans, and I don't expect them to beat us at home.

Here' s their schedule after the home game with Seattle this week:
Nov 26 @St. Louis
Dec 3 @New Orleans
Dec 10 Green Bay
Dec 14 @Seattle
Dec 24 Arizona
Dec 31 @Denver

Only one game should be a lock for them after this week, and that's AZ. If they're going to beat Seattle, this is the week to do it because they won't do it on the 14th with Has and Alexander coming back and the game in Seattle. I can't see them beating Den in Den, or St Louis @ home, Us @ home, and perhaps even GB.

JHMO

Last edited:
St. Dude,

Great post & analysis (...as usual).

I'd absolutely love to see the Giants & Seahawks, as well as Panthers & Falcons lose this weekend. It move us a step closer to a 1st round bye. And a step closer is certainly better than the alternative. :scratch:

Again, thanks for the analysis.

The Colts are developing a great team's knack for doing just what they need to take care of the lesser teams while stepping it up for the big games. They are a chic pick to win this week, but, obviously, let's hope not.

I assume you mean to say that the Colts are a chic pick to get knocked off by Dallas, and you hope they don't, correct? Not trying to nitpick, just wanted to clear it up in case there was something I may have missed as to why we would want Dallas to win. Ever.

And very good insight and discussion on this thread I may add. Gives those of us who enjoy only using 10% of our brains a break. :ezbill:

I assume you mean to say that the Colts are a chic pick to get knocked off by Dallas, and you hope they don't, correct? Not trying to nitpick, just wanted to clear it up in case there was something I may have missed as to why we would want Dallas to win. Ever.

And very good insight and discussion on this thread I may add. Gives those of us who enjoy only using 10% of our brains a break. :ezbill:

Whuhhhhhps. Will fix.

This Saints team has one thing we have never really had before. Power Offense. Yes, we have had the weapons, but we have never had the offensive production to go with them. We now have a QB and a Head Coach/Offensive Coord. who knows how to use what we have. Until the Playoffs get here, this offense alone will help us get into the Playoffs. None of the games we have left after the Bengals are scary to me.

Dallas: The TO fiasco is what I thought it would end up being when they brought that guy in. He is older now and he drops balls, which is the beginning of the end for a WR. They also just lost Greg Ellis for the year, and that hurts them on the defense. They also have a young guy in Romo at QB, and he has been ok, but not great. This team is very beatable, even at their house.

Atlanta: I have been saying this for years. Vick is NOT an NFL QB. He'll look great one or two games, then looks like a Rookie in others. He is just like Randall Cunningham was - a glorified RB who happens to play QB. Randall at least learned how to be a pocket passer towards the end of his career. Atlanta's defense has also been beat up all year. We dominated them in our 1st matchup, and I believe we will again.

New York: This team is on the verge of falling apart. The loss of Amani Toomer has demoralized Eli Manning. The defense is almost all hurt, and their secondary has not been very good all year long. Very beatable.

San Francisco: Much improved team, especially offensively. However, most of their wins have come against bad teams. When they go against our offense, they will be dogged.

Washington: The defense has not been very good, and Randle El has been a bust. They are now going to an untried 1st year QB. Basically, this team has given up.

Carolina: Is anyone truly scared of this team? We almost beat them at Carolina. Their running game has been atrocious, and since they lost their best LB in Witherspoon, they have not been the same defensively. Plus, we play them next time at our house. Very winnable.

After this weekend, I don't see us having a major tough opponent the rest of the way. Yes, there are games that we could potentially lose, but I just don't see Payton letting that happen. Drew Brees has continually gotten better in this offense the way I said he would and now we can play with anyone offensively. If we can stop the turnovers, I don't think we will lose again until the playoffs. And then, I'm not so sure about until the Superbowl.

Dallas: They also have a young guy in Romo at QB, and he has been ok, but not great.

If this is "ok" I'd hate to see what "pretty good" is. Interesting gradation scale you're using.

QUARTERBACK RATING RAT

1. Peyton Manning, IND 104.5
2. Tony Romo, DAL 101.2
3. Philip Rivers, SD 100.4
4. Donovan McNabb, PHI 98.2
5. Marc Bulger, STL 98

Dallas: The TO fiasco is what I thought it would end up being when they brought that guy in. He is older now and he drops balls, which is the beginning of the end for a WR. They also just lost Greg Ellis for the year, and that hurts them on the defense. They also have a young guy in Romo at QB, and he has been ok, but not great. This team is very beatable, even at their house.

A few weeks ago, I saw two games in the second half that concerned me, but I no longer do, at least not as much.

Atlanta was one, but that was before their recent downward spiral began. If it contiunes this week against B' Mor, and I suspect it will, they should be a far less formidable team that we face in their house next week, than they were a few weeks ago. That game is very winnable for me now, as before, I had it as a toss up - possible loss.

The other was the NYG game. At this point, with all of their injuries, I see this game as winnable now, but I'll re-evaluate as it draws closer, depending on who they get back, or who else goes down - Injuries simply have not been kind to them this year.

The game that really has me concerned now, and didn't when Bledsoe was in there, is the Cowboys game.

Romo has been very consistent since taking over, even in the loss to Wash. He also seems to have given that whole team a spark. Their D has always been solid, and playing in their house, with a playoff berth definitely on the line for them, I just see them as being a lot tougher now than a month ago...

I can only hope that TO will do something else really stupid to become a distraction again right before we play them. Not that I don't think we can still win this one, I simply know now that if they continue on the trend they've been on for the past 3 weeks (regardless of the outcome of their game this week with the Colts), they will still have a lot to play for when we meet them. We will definitely have to bring our A game to win that one.

Last edited:
Great work but if we keep winning the only teams we need to worry about are the Bears and Seahawks. 10-6 will win the division and we should be able to hit that mark. I'd hate to have to go to Chicago at that time of the year and Seattle is a tough place to play any time of year. 11-6 or 12-5 would be sweet but unlikely.

After this weekend, I don't see us having a major tough opponent the rest of the way. .

Wow David. You must not have gone to the Ravens game. I see most all of our games being tough. We barely beat Tampa in the dome and just lost to a 2-6 team.

Dallas beat Carolina on the road. We did not. Dallas looks to be a tough game. We have to go to New York, thats a tough game. Atlanta has played extremely well at time this year. Carolina has a way better defense than we do. SF is the easiest game but even they are an improving team.

Funny, I see all these games as tough. They are all winnable, but all tough to me. I think we will be underdogs in all three road games. We might be favored slightly in Atlanta if they continue to struggle. To me any game where you are favored less than a td sets up as a tough game and the only game we will remotely be a td favorite in will be SF.

Romo has been consistent, but he also is suseptible to mistakes. He doesn't have a lot of experience in games. There is more and more film being generated on him, and as the playoffs draw closer, the games (tempo) gets a lot more intense. +, Dallas slaughtered us in the Pre-season, and Parcells admitted to Payton that he actually game planned for us where teams don't do that. I look for our team to want revenge for that game.

Wow David. You must not have gone to the Ravens game. I see most all of our games being tough. We barely beat Tampa in the dome and just lost to a 2-6 team.

Dallas beat Carolina on the road. We did not. Dallas looks to be a tough game. We have to go to New York, thats a tough game. Atlanta has played extremely well at time this year. Carolina has a way better defense than we do. SF is the easiest game but even they are an improving team.

Funny, I see all these games as tough. They are all winnable, but all tough to me. I think we will be underdogs in all three road games. We might be favored slightly in Atlanta if they continue to struggle. To me any game where you are favored less than a td sets up as a tough game and the only game we will remotely be a td favorite in will be SF.

Like I said, these games are very winnable. Of course, that could also mean that they are not. No-one knows for sure right now. However, with the high powered offense we have I just don't see any of these games that are left with the exception of the Bengals game as being that hard for us.

Romo has been consistent, but he also is suseptible to mistakes. He doesn't have a lot of experience in games. There is more and more film being generated on him, and as the playoffs draw closer, the games (tempo) gets a lot more intense. +, Dallas slaughtered us in the Pre-season, and Parcells admitted to Payton that he actually game planned for us where teams don't do that. I look for our team to want revenge for that game.

Romo has a better QB rating than Brees and their touchdown to INT ratio is almost identical.

8 TD to 4 INT (Romo)
8.5 TD to 4 INT (Brees)

papyflingueurgi4.gif

Like I said, these games are very winnable. Of course, that could also mean that they are not.

Fantastic insight.

Atlanta: I have been saying this for years. Vick is NOT an NFL QB. He'll look great one or two games, then looks like a Rookie in others. He is just like Randall Cunningham was - a glorified RB who happens to play QB. Randall at least learned how to be a pocket passer towards the end of his career. Atlanta's defense has also been beat up all year. We dominated them in our 1st matchup, and I believe we will again.

Vick has been farther in the playoffs than Brees

papyflingueurgi4.gif

New York: This team is on the verge of falling apart. The loss of Amani Toomer has demoralized Eli Manning. The defense is almost all hurt, and their secondary has not been very good all year long. Very beatable.

The secondary is dead middle of the pack. 15th in the league. How has the loss of a mediocre receiver demoralized Eli Manning? The guy who replaced him, David Tyree, had 38 yards in his first start ever. Toomer averaged 45 yards a game this year.

Big dropoff

papyflingueurgi4.gif

The team that is on the verge of falling apart is 5-1 in their last 6. Their margin of victory in those five wins was 12.1. That smells like a collapse to me

papyflingueurgi4.gif

If this is "ok" I'd hate to see what "pretty good" is. Interesting gradation scale you're using.

It's really hard to single out the BEST thing I appreciate about SSF.

But one on my list has to be "intelligent dialogue" from knowledgeable fans. For example: The quote (above).

I, for one, have put a few "bonehead" posts/threads on this board. But if it's off, someone will catch it. They may even be a little cynical and sarcastic, but nothing mean-spirited.

Sigh! ...if only the folks on Airline Hwy would get their act together at the "official Saints' website." :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom