Kool-Aid McKinstry Can he play safety? (1 Viewer)

I like the way CSP said it many years ago. I'm paraphrasing, but "when you draft a CB, you play him at CB until he PROVES he can't play CB at this level." IMO, Kool-Aid is a CB until he proves he isn't. If we have a "surplus" of good CBs (is there such a thing?) and a shortage of good Safeties (we spent a decade asking "can he play safety?"), I'd rather see Alontae moved to the Safety spot. Not because Alontae can't play CB, but he's our 3rd best CB (possibly 4th with KA in the fold?) and it's too soon to move KA, IMO. I see Alontae as that Malcolm Jenkins CB/S hybrid player, no doubt. JMO...

God remember years and years ago when this was the first response to every player we looked at or signed. "Can he play safety?" I think this was around the Kaesviharn years LOL.

If we had the secondary talent we have now back in Drew's heyday we'd have 2 more rings.

God remember years and years ago when this was the first response to every player we looked at or signed. "Can he play safety?" I think this was around the Kaesviharn years LOL.

If we had the secondary talent we have now back in Drew's heyday we'd have 2 more rings.
whos that Ditka drafted safety with the tattoos from Nebraska that busted big time?

The top ranked safety in the draft was available when we picked McKinstry in the second round. If the Saints wanted a safety they should have picked a safety.

I like the way CSP said it many years ago. I'm paraphrasing, but "when you draft a CB, you play him at CB until he PROVES he can't play CB at this level." IMO, Kool-Aid is a CB until he proves he isn't. If we have a "surplus" of good CBs (is there such a thing?) and a shortage of good Safeties (we spent a decade asking "can he play safety?"), I'd rather see Alontae moved to the Safety spot. Not because Alontae can't play CB, but he's our 3rd best CB (possibly 4th with KA in the fold?) and it's too soon to move KA, IMO. I see Alontae as that Malcolm Jenkins CB/S hybrid player, no doubt. JMO...
You literally sharted all over your logic. Alontae PROVED he can play outside and yet you want to move him to safety, however Kool-Aid hasn't played a down in the NFL yet you feel like he's already potentially better than Taylor and a CB until he PROVES otherwise.

You literally sharted all over your logic. Alontae PROVED he can play outside and yet you want to move him to safety, however Kool-Aid hasn't played a down in the NFL yet you feel like he's already potentially better than Taylor and a CB until he PROVES otherwise.
You're operating under the assumption that this is a move I'm advocating for; which is a false assumption. I don't WANT to move Alontae (for the same reason I cited not to move KA!) No one believes it's a good idea to move Lattimore, for obvious reasons. Same with Adebo. We're left with Alontae and KA. I think Alontae is a pretty good boundary CB, but gets burned a little too often in the slot. Dude can play CB, but is the weakest of 3 good CBs. We don't know what KA is yet, and probably won't know for certain until we see his TC, maybe even his first season. It's absolutely too soon to make that decision and move KA, IMO. Of those 4, I see Alontae as the most viable option IF THE NEED ARISES....and if I remember correctly (i wouldn't swear to it), didn't Alontae play some Safety at Tennessee?

What I'd prefer is that we find a dude who can play Safety at a high level. But that wasn't the scenario posited by the OP. Based on his question, I'd be looking at Alontae as the top choice to move to Safety, but not because he can't play CB. This wouldn't be a voluntary move to save a player's career or to garner them more playing time. This would be a move to cover a hole in the secondary that can't be covered any other way. Nothing more...

You're operating under the assumption that this is a move I'm advocating for; which is a false assumption. I don't WANT to move Alontae (for the same reason I cited not to move KA!) No one believes it's a good idea to move Lattimore, for obvious reasons. Same with Adebo. We're left with Alontae and KA. I think Alontae is a pretty good boundary CB, but gets burned a little too often in the slot. Dude can play CB, but is the weakest of 3 good CBs. We don't know what KA is yet, and probably won't know for certain until we see his TC, maybe even his first season. It's absolutely too soon to make that decision and move KA, IMO. Of those 4, I see Alontae as the most viable option IF THE NEED ARISES....and if I remember correctly (i wouldn't swear to it), didn't Alontae play some Safety at Tennessee?

What I'd prefer is that we find a dude who can play Safety at a high level. But that wasn't the scenario posited by the OP. Based on his question, I'd be looking at Alontae as the top choice to move to Safety, but not because he can't play CB. This wouldn't be a voluntary move to save a player's career or to garner them more playing time. This would be a move to cover a hole in the secondary that can't be covered any other way. Nothing more...
Your original logic states:

If you draft Player A he should play position A until he proves he can't and only then should he be considered for position B.
Yet Alontae was drafted as a CB, proved he can play CB but you are suggesting he'd be the player to move to position B.

In other words your logic makes sense as to why you wouldn't move Kool-Aid, it does not clarify why you decided Alontae would be the player to move in that scenario. Is it because you'd rather ask a veteran to move vs a rookie?

Last edited:
Your original logic states:

If you draft Player A he should play position A until he proves he can't and only then should he be considered for position B.
Yet Alontae was drafted as a CB, proved he can play CB but you are suggesting he'd be the player to move to position B.

In other words your logic makes sense as to why you wouldn't move Kool-Aid, it does not clarify why you decided Alontae would be the player to move in that scenario. Is it because you'd rather ask a veteran to move vs a rookie?
Yes. I don't like moving Alontae either, for the same logic. But if this is a move that HAS to be made, Alontae is the one I would look to. And I thought he played a CB/S position at Tennessee, so would have SOME experience and familiarity with the Safety position. But I've since looked him up, and all I see is references to CB at Tennessee. So maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly? That changes the calculus a little too....

Alontae also seems stuck behind Lattimore and Adebo on the depth chart, relegating him to slot duties. But he doesn't seem as good in the slot as in the boundary. I think we could use an upgrade at the slot CB position. It's been suggested on this forum that KA is likely a good fit for that position. So I'm hoping that KA displaces someone in the secondary (preferably the slot), but it's also possible Alontae improves with another year of CB under his belt.

Truth be told, I think the Saints are getting in position to trade Lattimore; fill a different hole, and help reset the cap on this team. Adebo gonna get paid soon too, or we're gonna lose him. That's where the younger & cheaper talent comes in. If KA is who we think/hope he is, I think Lattimore is a post-June 1 transaction. At the most, i think we have 1 season of a surplus of CB talent. Your question is interesting, because we MIGHT have to do something like this to stash the talent, get the best players on the field, and walk the salary cap tightrope. This might be a real scenario for 1 season?! IF that happens, I prefer to move the vet. Rookies got enough on their plate without learning a whole new position in addition to a whole new defense.

JMO...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom