Let's Quit Smoking (2 Viewers)

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Anyone want to? We've discussed this before. I have one of those clever electronic cigarettes, which does make a passable substitute, but I don't use much it because I haven't really wanted to quit. It's a security blanket. It's an old habit that I love. And I'm addicted to it. It will be hard to quit.

But it's a lot easier to do something with someone else in your corner, going through the same thing. So if anyone else has been fighting this and thinking about quitting, maybe we could come back here and get our pep talks. People who have successfully quit may share some pointers. Even non-smokers who have given up other bad habits (like soft drinks or junk food) may be able to give us some ideas.

Some will have it rougher than others. Those who are free to smoke whenever they want to, like me, will need to find a new habit. Tic-Tacs, gum, lolly-pops may help. I've known people who chewed a toothpick to satisfy the oral part of the habit. I'll use that e-cig to transition, which is just a nicotine inhaler, because I don't need to go into full-on nic withdrawal ***** mode since I'm starting school. There are only 16 people in my program and I don't need them all to hate me right out of the gate!

It may also be useful to create a list of good reasons to quit. We all know the basic good reasons: it costs too much money, it's killing us, it's stinky, it's a socially-ostracizing habit, it's a bad example for the kids, it raises your insurance rates, and so forth. But we've ignored those reasons in the past, right? Specific personal reasons may be the added motivation we need.

My personal reasons to quit:
--I have caught a lot of guff about the expense of going to school. What I spend in smokes each week will pay for all my gas and cold drinks. I can't go to school because the gas costs too much? Screw you. I just found the money.
--I'm planning to be a massage therapist. Who would use me when I smell like Marlboro? My future plans can't be derailed over a dumb habit that I can break.
--I promised someone I would quit. They have kept their promises to me and I can't let them down.

What are your reasons? Share them if they aren't too personal, and we'll light a candle and work up some mojo for you.

If the Saints can win the Super Bowl, then you (and you and you) and me can quit smoking. Ready?

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Today is day 1 of Chantix.

I've tried quitting intermittently over the last couple of years, but this time I am not pulling any punches.
If i had known Chantix was going to be so effective, i would have smoked a lot more the first and second week i was on it.

Since the end of the second week of Chantix, i have not had a single cig in a month and a half, and have no desire for one. It really was the majic bullet for to quit smoking.

ktulu909

Not Band
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 and a half years ago, I quit smoking and started vaping. During that time I slowly weaned myself from 18mg nicotine down to 0mg. I quit nicotine 10 weeks ago, and quit vaping 2 and a half weeks ago, the day after my birthday. Still fighting some moderate cravings, but so far so good!

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
33 Years and counting.

Nobody has the right to tell me which rolled up weed I can and can not smoke!

Wait... this isn't the "Atlanta Falcons sux!!!" thread?

St. Chris

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Today makes 6 years since my last cigarette. Have not cheated once. I will not because I accept the fact that if I take one drag, I will take another and will be at a pack a day within a week. Chantix worked perfectly for me. Drugs are a wonderful thing.

Doug5984

All-Pro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been put here, but for Louisiana residents that began before September 1, 1988:

https://www.smokingcessationtrust.org/

This program will not last forever as I understand it.

If anyone has questions on this program/wants to quit send me a PM- my wife recently started a new job, where she is the Tobacco Treatment Coordinator and works heavily with this program.

ThibodauxSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If anyone has questions on this program/wants to quit send me a PM- my wife recently started a new job, where she is the Tobacco Treatment Coordinator and works heavily with this program.
I just got accepted into this program. Had my 1st of nine classes last week. Seems like a great program. Covers all the medication and I up to 5 doctors visits and none of this goes through you're insurance.

Claw

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I'm 10 weeks without a single drag. Been weening myself off all summer, from a pack a day to about a pack a week by the time I 'quit'. Been using the Nicorette lozenges throughout. I'm good in relation to the cigs now, barely even bothers me at this point, but I can't seem to stop these damn lozenges. When I run out, and say I'm not getting another pack, I end up back at the store to buy more that same day, because I'm scared the craving will turn into me picking up a cig. I did go from the 4mg to the 2mg though, and now I'm good with that. So while I'm no doubt happy that I'm approaching 3 months of being smoke free, I know that I'm still not in the clear due to my new addiction to these damn mints.

As an FYI, I've tried both vaping and cold turkey in the past, and never even made it 24 hours without smoking, much less this long. Now my will is extremely strong not to start back the clock, just have to get past this new hurdle.

Any ideas?

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 10 weeks without a single drag. Been weening myself off all summer, from a pack a day to about a pack a week by the time I 'quit'. Been using the Nicorette lozenges throughout. I'm good in relation to the cigs now, barely even bothers me at this point, but I can't seem to stop these damn lozenges. When I run out, and say I'm not getting another pack, I end up back at the store to buy more that same day, because I'm scared the craving will turn into me picking up a cig. I did go from the 4mg to the 2mg though, and now I'm good with that. So while I'm no doubt happy that I'm approaching 3 months of being smoke free, I know that I'm still not in the clear due to my new addiction to these damn mints.

As an FYI, I've tried both vaping and cold turkey in the past, and never even made it 24 hours without smoking, much less this long. Now my will is extremely strong not to start back the clock, just have to get past this new hurdle.

Any ideas?
I wouldn't stress about the Nicorette at this point. You may be trying to rush the process.

It has only been 3 months and you have come a long way IMO. You have dropped to 2mg and you have truly accomplished a lot in 3 months. Be proud of that and just keep going on slowly weaning yourself off the mints. If you are still at 2mg mints after say 6 months then maybe you should try something else. Great job!

Claw

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress about the Nicorette at this point. You may be trying to rush the process.

It has only been 3 months and you have come a long way IMO. You have dropped to 2mg and you have truly accomplished a lot in 3 months. Be proud of that and just keep going on slowly weaning yourself off the mints. If you are still at 2mg mints after say 6 months then maybe you should try something else. Great job!
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. I really think it's for good this time, I enjoy seeing this little day counter widget thing on my phone add up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

whodat79

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I haven't had a cigarette or dip in nearly 5 years. It is really great to have better health and that extra cash in my pocket. I heard someone at work saying that a pack is $6 holy crap

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. I really think it's for good this time, I enjoy seeing this little day counter widget thing on my phone add up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Awesome... A lot of cash saved so far. Good looking Son, (I assume), you have there! My boy just turned 4....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom