Loomis news conference. Most important thing he said, imo (2 Viewers)

And the Saints have to just roll over and accept? Man, stop it

A 2024 1st is not a bad deal if we can squeeze a 2nd out of that team this season. With Dennis is charge, a 2024 1st might not be the worst thing. 2nd, Payton is only an asset until next year. This is the last year we can play hardball - but not too much. We have to deal Payton this offseason. Next year, teams will know that the Saints HAVE to accept something, there is no hardball next year.

Next year, if Payton says, Im only coming back to coach ________, then that team can offer even less for him, and Loomis can either accept it, or Payton sits one more year and there will be no compensation. So yes, play hardball this year too much, and you will have to roll over and accept whatever they offer next year.

We have to maximize Payton THIS offseason. Even if its accepting a 1 in 2024.

Personally, I think SP is at his highest value right now. 2 years left on his contract, only 1 year out from coaching, his abilities heightened by DA’s job this past year with virtually the same team and staff etc.

If SP chooses one team, then Loomis has to choose between taking what he can get from that team, or waiting to see what he can get following year. IMHO SP’s value goes down every year after this - the closer he gets to being a FA, the further removed he is from coaching, the unknown of up and comers stealing the thunder during the next coaching cycle, the unknown of which jobs will be available, etc. So, personally, I think the gamble of losing assets by waiting is not going to be worth it.

The leverage the saints do have comes from them having the rights to someone who a team - in theory - covets. If a team is all in on SP, if they think he’s the one to fix their franchise (which he is one of maybe 2 available coaches who has a history of doing so), then they’re going to go make sure they get him, and not waste time and money on a someone else, or wait a year to send less assets or two years to try and get him in FA.

I’m not saying Loomis doesn’t dangle the “we’ll just keep his right then” threat if they’re not appropriately ponying up, but I think everyone might know it’s pretty idle given the gamble of assuming SP’s value will be greater than or at least the same as it is now.

Maybe that is why he left with 2 years left on his contract. He wanted the Saints to be able to get back their 1st (and extra) pick for him. (Just my 2 cents)
There was 3 years left on his contract.

Let’s talk about how DA’s defense preserved a 13 point lead against Tampa.
Ummm. Defense didn’t blow that lead. Mark Ingram and Pete’s play calling on 3rd and 4th and 1 lost that game.

Wouldn’t take much notice of that, he’s saying what you’d expect him to say. He’s not going to say anything else.

It’s a pretty simple trade anyway, Payton will pick his team and Loomis will negotiate something in the region of a first (not in the top 10) and a third.
Exactly a team can only give up what they have for a draft pick. someone face palmed me the other day and said saints are getting a top 10 pick for him. Well, he might be worth that, but i guarantee you he isn't going to go to a rebuilding project. Now that the Chargers choked horribly that job should open up.

If Spanos was smart he would cough up whatever contract Payton wants. Give GM duties if that's what he wants. Because hiring bargain basement coaches for very talented rosters is not getting the job done. With all the talent the team has had the past 18 seasons, they should have been to a Superbowl. Whatever money he spends on Payton he will get back 10 fold at least

Its important for the chargers to win big, now. while the rams are down. If they don't, that franchise will never be relevant in LA

Personally, I think SP is at his highest value right now. 2 years left on his contract, only 1 year out from coaching, his abilities heightened by DA’s job this past year with virtually the same team and staff etc.

If SP chooses one team, then Loomis has to choose between taking what he can get from that team, or waiting to see what he can get following year. IMHO SP’s value goes down every year after this - the closer he gets to being a FA, the further removed he is from coaching, the unknown of up and comers stealing the thunder during the next coaching cycle, the unknown of which jobs will be available, etc. So, personally, I think the gamble of losing assets by waiting is not going to be worth it.

The leverage the saints do have comes from them having the rights to someone who a team - in theory - covets. If a team is all in on SP, if they think he’s the one to fix their franchise (which he is one of maybe 2 available coaches who has a history of doing so), then they’re going to go make sure they get him, and not waste time and money on a someone else, or wait a year to send less assets or two years to try and get him in FA.

I’m not saying Loomis doesn’t dangle the “we’ll just keep his right then” threat if they’re not appropriately ponying up, but I think everyone might know it’s pretty idle given the gamble of assuming SP’s value will be greater than or at least the same as it is now.
I don’t necessarily agree that Payton’s value is greatly diminished if we don’t deal him this year and instead wait until next year. The teams interested in Payton’s services this year will be different to those interested next year, assuming he isn’t traded. They don’t have the luxury of waiting around either. They’ll have to appoint a coach from somewhere and I definitely can’t see anybody making an “interim” appointment in the hope they’ll be able to get Payton again in 12 or 24 months’ time.

I personally think Loomis should stand firm and refuse to deal him if we get lowballed. If the best offer that’s tabled is a late first rounder, I’d be telling Payton not to hand in his swipe card for the Fox studio. He’s a good coach and the Saints derive a competitive advantage (however minimal depending on the division) from him not being a head coach in the league.

So…Payton should have been fired last year because the offense was even worse. I’m no Allen fan, but the Saints aren’t doing better next year. They’ll be bad. Might as well prep for 2024 when we’ll be in a much better position to require a legit replacement and not just the next guy who will fail

Record number of injuries last year, NFL record....we finished 9-8 with 4 different QB's playing and should have made the playoffs....more importantly your comment of the offense was worse in 2021 is just flat out wrong....averaged 21.4 in 2021 compared to 18.4 in 2022....and 2 points is not a tiny difference....

CSP's coaching in 2021 was coach of the year worthy considering all he had to deal with. DA's coaching in 2022 left me with the feeling of he couldn't have screwed up worse if he tried.....

Record number of injuries last year, NFL record....we finished 9-8 with 4 different QB's playing and should have made the playoffs....more importantly your comment of the offense was worse in 2021 is just flat out wrong....averaged 21.4 in 2021 compared to 18.4 in 2022....and 2 points is not a tiny difference....

CSP's coaching in 2021 was coach of the year worthy considering all he had to deal with. DA's coaching in 2022 left me with the feeling of he couldn't have screwed up worse if he tried.....
add to fact the offense in final 6 games scored only 81 points. That's pathetic. And there was way more offensive talent this year compared to last

Also confirmed DA would be back and they’re going to try to slowly manage the cap back to the middle.

But for anyone who still thinks they’re just gonna let SP walk, he was adamant that they’re gonna get the most they possibly can

Ugh. Manage the cap back to the middle is code for "We might suck for a couple years as our FA's walk"

I'm gonna need more beer...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom