Manning Center of attention - too bad it's Archie (1 Viewer)

The writer seems to suggest that other players and personnel were a little annoyed at the spectacle of Archie's visit. I'm thinking that he may have been inspired by off the record comments made. I'm sure Eli welcomed Archie's presence, though.

I think the writer pretty much tips his hand by commenting, for no real reason, on the San Diego-NYG-Manning family draft saga, which rubbed some people the wrong way because Eli essentially got to avoid playing for a small(ish) market in favor of the Big Apple. (Not that playing for small market Indy or Denver seemed to hurt Peyton or Elway in terms of money making endorsements, exposure, etc.)

That said, I don't blame Archie. Think, what if Eli wins the Super Bowl for the New York Giants. Sure, he could also be playing in the Super Bowl for the San Diego Chargers. But look at Namath or LT or Phil Simms -- a championship as a Giant buys you a lot of attention once your career is done. Look at Tiki, who didn't even win an SB.

Now compare any number of solid players integral to smaller market Super Bowl victories or appearances (Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Kurt Warner, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas) and ask how much you ever see them on TV. If Archie is some sort of Svengali, it may be that he learned from his own experience.

The writer seems to suggest that other players and personnel were a little annoyed at the spectacle of Archie's visit. I'm thinking that he may have been inspired by off the record comments made. I'm sure Eli welcomed Archie's presence, though.

Eli was the target of highly notable on the record comments by recently former teammate Tiki Barber this summer, calling Eli's leadership "comical." I'm sure that Tiki was not alone in disgruntlment with Eli. That said, it almost seems like, since it's hard to rip on Eli for at least the next 2 weeks, they're going to direct their venom at Archie. New York must be a great place to play, where every pseudo-star (wonder if anybody's noticed the Giants playing better /without Shockey/) is working on getting attention and a book deal.

Anyone watching the Fox telecast repeatedly pan to Archie and Archie not even be able to stomach watching the game knows Archie was there to congratulate his youngest son on a huge accomplishment and without a doubt Eli wanted him there. On the field after the game, instead of giving interviews Eli was walking around looking for his fiancee and family. Wouldn't you want your Dad there? Ridiculous article imo.

Eli was the target of highly notable on the record comments by recently former teammate Tiki Barber this summer, calling Eli's leadership "comical." I'm sure that Tiki was not alone in disgruntlment with Eli. That said, it almost seems like, since it's hard to rip on Eli for at least the next 2 weeks, they're going to direct their venom at Archie. New York must be a great place to play, where every pseudo-star (wonder if anybody's noticed the Giants playing better /without Shockey/) is working on getting attention and a book deal.

No doubt others were disgruntled with Eli's play. People act as if his very recent spurt erased the years of frustration some teammates and fans had with him. Some fences may not have been mended so soon. I'm glad to see him playing well, of late..... I'm thinking Archie was right to show Eli support, for this instance.

the writer is a joke. if my son wins the nfc championship game, I'd want to be there with him, and I think he'd want me there. Archie is one of the most self effacing guys in sports. Further, you can see this guy's agenda by his quoting stats. today's stats are far different. for example Joe namath threw 220 ints to 173 tds, but I guess that's ok for a new yorker. what a joke this guy is. what a foolish article

This is the only article that I have seen that even mentions Archie. I'm not sure how that qualifies as stealing the spotlight from his son. Clearly the two are close and this is a non issue. Simply another bad article by a poor writer.

That's pretty much exclusively between Archie and Eli. I don't care if my dad upstaged me or not, if you were that snarky about him i'm 90% sure i'd throw a punch.

Are you a dad? Most dads would allow their kids to be in their deserved spotlight. I would be just as proud unseen. Oh, you can throw a punch however, there is a possibility your arm won't return. and I like Archie.

If I were a QB and had just won a NFCCG I'd want my parents there... and yeah I saw the footage of Eli looking for his family. He obviously wanted them to be there.

Archie is a star in his own right. He's not just the dad of Peyton & Eli Manning, he's a member of the media himself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom