Maybe we are asking the wrong questions about the QB contest (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
There seems to be a consensus among the majority that Jameis is a forgone conclusion. If it is that obvious to everyone on the outside looking in, then certainly the person who has the most informed insight and in fact the one who will make the call must be even more certain of the outcome.

Put a different way; if Payton is any less certain than we are, then maybe some of us need to reevaluate how stubborn our convictions are.

So ...

Postulate #1 - The consensus is certain it is Jameis Winston
Postulate #2 - Payton's certainty how this will play out > than the consensus
Postulate #3 - In the limited time between now and opening day Payton needs to design a new or at least a heavily modified playbook for the next starter.
Postulate #4 - A Jameis playbook will be different than a Taysom Playbook. A lot different.

So the question is not "Who starts?", instead, we should be asking ...
  • Why is Payton continuing this charade?
  • Why pretend he will dilute his time crafting two divergent playbooks if he knows one is a wasted effort?
  • Why make the Offense adjust and readjust to the cadence, timing, and plays of two QB's when Payton knows one won't be starting?
  • Between all the new players on offense, a new playbook for the season, and a new QB isn't the best use of the preseason focusing on one uniform direction?
My conclusions

Payton really does not know what he has in Jameis or how much Taysom will improve with crafted plays and more experience.
At this point in time, the two are within a check-down pass of each other.
Payton's only recourse is to divide his time and the team's time between the two. Even at the risk of reducing the time the team and eventual winner will have to gel together.

I live by the maxim "The more you convince yourself something must be true the less likely it is."

See you all in Preseason. "Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?"

I think it should be an open competition for the starting job at every position every season all season long. Need to field our best every game. Personally, I think Winston will win the starting job, but we will see Hill in the Joker role, and we should.

Excellent thread. As of one week ago (mid March), SP said in an interview the same thing. So, he has yet to design an offense for either. For obvious reasons, FA, the draft, etc. That tells me that the offenses will be different from each other.
That’s the part that baffles me though. If this is going to be a true QB competition, then what kind of offense will he install for the both of them to run, during this competition? Depending on that, one QB will have an advantage over the other one, I would assume. Would it be a mixture of both?

I think you may be right that we are asking the wrong question. Since it is highly unlikely that the Saints will be able to trade (or have cap room) for Wilson or Watson and it is also unlikely that any of the top 5 QBs in this year's draft class fall to the Saints, the question is how does the team view the remaining 2021 class as well as the QBs that should be in the 2022 draft? OK, long question. Maybe they just love Jamie Newman, Davis Mills or Kyle Trask. Maybe they are taking the long view, believing that they need to fill all of the holes left by the cap purge in this draft and they can address the QB position in next year's draft/free agency if Winston/Hill don't work out this year.

We don't know what Payton and the front office are thinking or their plans going forward. I am comfortable believing that they have a plan that is flexible and allows for jumping on an opportunity to upgrade the position if Winston or Hill don't appear to be the answer for the future. I won't spend a lot of time concerned about it, but if I had to guess, I would say they will roll with what they have this year and reevaluate after the season with an eye on drafting a QB in 2022.

I think you may be right that we are asking the wrong question. Since it is highly unlikely that the Saints will be able to trade (or have cap room) for Wilson or Watson and it is also unlikely that any of the top 5 QBs in this year's draft class fall to the Saints, the question is how does the team view the remaining 2021 class as well as the QBs that should be in the 2022 draft? OK, long question. Maybe they just love Jamie Newman, Davis Mills or Kyle Trask. Maybe they are taking the long view, believing that they need to fill all of the holes left by the cap purge in this draft and they can address the QB position in next year's draft/free agency if Winston/Hill don't work out this year.

We don't know what Payton and the front office are thinking or their plans going forward. I am comfortable believing that they have a plan that is flexible and allows for jumping on an opportunity to upgrade the position if Winston or Hill don't appear to be the answer for the future. I won't spend a lot of time concerned about it, but if I had to guess, I would say they will roll with what they have this year and reevaluate after the season with an eye on drafting a QB in 2022.
I’m pretty sure that this is what the plan is.

Excellent thread. As of one week ago (mid March), SP said in an interview the same thing. So, he has yet to design an offense for either. For obvious reasons, FA, the draft, etc. That tells me that the offenses will be different from each other.
That’s the part that baffles me though. If this is going to be a true QB competition, then what kind of offense will he install for the both of them to run, during this competition? Depending on that, one QB will have an advantage over the other one, I would assume. Would it be a mixture of both?

JW in a designated power run off left tackle

Every year that we’ve shown major interest in a draft prospect, we didn’t go QB. SP has been firm that we’re set at QB, which makes me think we aren’t. Idk if we’ll make a move in draft day or anything, but I feel like there is a missing piece to this puzzle.

Every year that we’ve shown major interest in a draft prospect, we didn’t go QB. SP has been firm that we’re set at QB, which makes me think we aren’t. Idk if we’ll make a move in draft day or anything, but I feel like there is a missing piece to this puzzle.
Technically, he said “I think we are set” at QB. Not much of a firm statement

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom