[Merged] Saints Select Clemson DT Bryan Bresee (2 Viewers)

How do you like the Bryan Bresee pick?

• Total voters
On what basis do you make this assertion? Tell me you’re being sarcastic or something.

I said what I said. Lol. Also edited my post to provide context….

He honestly looks more like Cam Jordan version rookie year with the Saints…. Than a bonafide DT prospect on film.

Last edited:
It took the Saints a while to make this pick which makes me think they we're a little shell shocked by Murphy getting taken right in front of them. I think they would have prefered him and then DT at 40. Ended up the other way around. Oh well.

I still think this guy is insanely talented, and different than Dav/Turner because he isn't raw. He's just got an injury history.

I'm excited. I think he is going to struggle with pass rush early on, but there will be some great flashes. Rooting for him.

Is Benton the one your sources told you the Saints were targeting? Either way, the Saints aren’t the only ones who were higher on Bresee. McGinn’s scouts and personnel rated him the second best IDL behind Carter and ahead of Benton, who is seen as more of a 3-4 IDL.
Just want to be clear. I never said they were targeting anyone. I don’t have those kind of friends. Said my guy mentioned him. Matched the height/weight/speed they like as does Breese. I personally just think he’s a better player based on true production over a full college career. I also think Pittsburgh has a very good read on defense linemen when it comes to scouting. Not saying they would’ve took Benton over Breese just saying what I saw in game and the fact Pitt took him are 2 very good indicators of future production.

Again; I hope I’m wrong but nothing I’ve seen makes me excited about the pick. And again, I love the rest of the draft. Foskey, I think, will be a very good player. Again, based on college production at a major university and what I’ve seen in breakdowns same for Miller. I just think Breese is a pick that was based on his potential more than based on what he is at this point.
I almost posted the exact same thing early today.

And instead of feeling like we got a guy with an extremely high ceiling at DT and a guy I think will be very solid at DE … I would feel like we got a guy with an extremely high ceiling at DE and a guy I think will be very solid at DT.
i actually like Foskey more than Murphy after doing some more research on him. And I hope I’m wrong on Breese but I just don’t see much there. Hopefully NFL coaching makes the difference. Seems to be a good guy with a good family just doesn’t impress me on tape. But 6’5 300 lbs is a big man.

Apparently, he had shoulder surgery also. Not singular.

Oh? Most injury plagued player? Do some research. He missed time, but to a singular injury. Little sis fought cancer and lost which caused him some lost time and a kidney infection (a non-football **illness**). The singular injury was a serious one - an ACL. It took him awhile to come back to normal.

The question is not that he is injury plagued, but how close to 100% he is and will the ACL cause future problems. That remains to be seen.
For a team that’s had an abnormal amount of bad luck in the injury department for several years now, I do find it odd that we decided to roll the dice and try our luck with this prospect.

Hopefully he works out, but anyone that’s denying that he doesn’t come with “availability baggage” has some serious black and gold blinders on.

If say, the Falcons, had picked this player, we’d all be saying the same thing in unison.

For a team that’s had an abnormal amount of bad luck in the injury department for several years now, I do find it odd that we decided to roll the dice and try our luck with this prospect.

Hopefully he works out, but anyone that’s denying that he doesn’t come with “availability baggage” has some serious black and gold blinders on.

If say, the Falcons, had picked this player, we’d all be saying the same thing in unison.
Yeah I think most Saints fans understand there is an injury concern here. But without that injury concern he's not still on the board at 29. I'm one of those people who keeps up with the draft year around and I check out the way too early mock drafts. Bryan Bresee has been mocked way up there for a long time. A lot of it is simply hype because he was the #1 recruit in the country and the expectations for him at Clemson were out of this world. But some of it is because he's super talented.

To me this wasn't the Saints getting cute or trying to outthink the room. It was simply a case of drafting a player with immense upside at a position of need. They were able to get a late 1st round pick for SP and they decided to take a big swing with it. At the end of the 1st round teams are faced with the decision of playing it safe with a quality prospect or taking a risk on a big time prospect that fell due to injury/character concerns. So they swung hard in case they hit it. I can't fault them for that. Not at 29. Now had they traded up and drafted him in the top 15 then yeah, not great. But staying put and going for the HR, I'll allow it.

Yeah I think most Saints fans understand there is an injury concern here. But without that injury concern he's not still on the board at 29. I'm one of those people who keeps up with the draft year around and I check out the way too early mock drafts. Bryan Bresee has been mocked way up there for a long time. A lot of it is simply hype because he was the #1 recruit in the country and the expectations for him at Clemson were out of this world. But some of it is because he's super talented.

To me this wasn't the Saints getting cute or trying to outthink the room. It was simply a case of drafting a player with immense upside at a position of need. They were able to get a late 1st round pick for SP and they decided to take a big swing with it. At the end of the 1st round teams are faced with the decision of playing it safe with a quality prospect or taking a risk on a big time prospect that fell due to injury/character concerns. So they swung hard in case they hit it. I can't fault them for that. Not at 29. Now had they traded up and drafted him in the top 15 then yeah, not great. But staying put and going for the HR, I'll allow it.
This is the one thing that makes this pick ok with me. Unlike Davenport or Sullivan or a list of others we didn’t mortgage future draft picks for a player that may or may not pan out. Essentially it was a free pick Payton gifted us when he left. So no gain no loss. I just less impressed with the player the more I look. I think based on his high school rating and his first year got him taken in the first in addition to potential and testing numbers. Personally I prefer a player that has trended up during his career but again, free pick and you don’t win anything you aren’t willing to lose. At least he seems like a high character high effort guy, unlike some of our other busts.

This is the one thing that makes this pick ok with me. Unlike Davenport or Sullivan or a list of others we didn’t mortgage future draft picks for a player that may or may not pan out. Essentially it was a free pick Payton gifted us when he left. So no gain no loss. I just less impressed with the player the more I look. I think based on his high school rating and his first year got him taken in the first in addition to potential and testing numbers. Personally I prefer a player that has trended up during his career but again, free pick and you don’t win anything you aren’t willing to lose. At least he seems like a high character high effort guy, unlike some of our other busts.
Oh no doubt. This was a house money pick. If he turns out to be not awesome at football then oh well, wasted late first round pick. Hardly the first and far from the last.

The injuries aside… Do you have any experience or idea how difficult it is (as a young adult) to cope with a loved one battling a life threatening disease? Now add the element of it being a kid, and the disease ultimately taking their life.
Call me crazy, but that may have had a huge impact on this kid’s ability to focus and “trend up”.

The injuries aside… Do you have any experience or idea how difficult it is (as a young adult) to cope with a loved one battling a life threatening disease? Now add the element of it being a kid, and the disease ultimately taking their life.
Call me crazy, but that may have had a huge impact on this kid’s ability to focus and “trend up”.
And to add to that, he fought through a severe kidney infection. Which saps your strength even after it's over. It leaves you in a weakened condition. I've had 3 of them over the years, I don't wish that on anyone.

And to add to that, he fought through a severe kidney infection. Which saps your strength even after it's over. It leaves you in a weakened condition. I've had 3 of them over the years, I don't wish that on anyone.
I agree totally. i got colonized bacteria after multiple kidney infections. To the point I had to have my bladder removed in 2012 due to it (Ive been a C5/6quadriplegic since 1990). It can knock you on your rear end real quick like.

It took the Saints a while to make this pick which makes me think they we're a little shell shocked by Murphy getting taken right in front of them. I think they would have prefered him and then DT at 40. Ended up the other way around. Oh well.

I still think this guy is insanely talented, and different than Dav/Turner because he isn't raw. He's just got an injury history.

I'm excited. I think he is going to struggle with pass rush early on, but there will be some great flashes. Rooting for him.
I think they may have preferred Murphy as well (that is who I was hoping for), but all teams take a while in the 1st round

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom