Article Mike Detillier: Saints face huge challenge in Chicago (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1571526029675.png

By Mike Detillier / Sports Correspondent

In the 2019 season, we have seen the best coaching job done by New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton and his staff since the 2006 season.

In Payton’s first season, the Saints went through a complete overhaul, going from 3-13 in 2005 to 10-6 in 2006. They made it to the NFC Championship Game versus the Chicago Bears in Payton’s first season with the Saints.

Now in 2019, the Saints have won four straight games with defense, special teams, and Teddy Bridgewater at quarterback since Brees went down to a thumb injury versus the Los Angeles Rams.

In two of the last three weeks, the Saints have won with “small-ball” football. You get nothing extra during the season for style points, but in the Payton era in New Orleans, he has mostly won with offense, Brees and a high powered offensive attack.

Now they are winning with a relentless flock to the ball defense, a terrific special teams unit and just enough offense with few turnovers. That will be the gameplan on Sunday in a game that looks similar to the 12-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys and the 13-6 victory last Sunday over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Full Story - houmatoday.com

Some good info in the article about how the Saints may handle Kahlil Mack.

Last edited:
This game is no bigger challenge than the Seahawks a then red hot Cowboys team and a QB sensation in Gardner. They Saints play true to themselves and not turnover ball they will win Tommorow. That and because Lawn guy Dave, Coach Pete and some Janitor who lives in a mop closet have deemed it so ?

This game is no bigger challenge than the Seahawks a then red hot Cowboys team and a QB sensation in Gardner. They Saints play true to themselves and not turnover ball they will win Tommorow. That and because Lawn guy Dave, Coach Pete and some Janitor who lives in a mop closet have deemed it so ?
The Chicago defense on the road is a different animal. Can't compare that to any of those teams you listed. And they are angry about Oakland. Really angry.

The Chicago defense on the road is a different animal. Can't compare that to any of those teams you listed. And they are angry about Oakland. Really angry.
I'm hoping the Saints can take advantage of their aggressiveness. I see your point clearly though. They are going to be Angry after letting the Raiders win after Oakland did whatever they could to help Chicago win. At this point im trying to get the juju going the Saints way. Tomorrow I
Will always do what I do watch the game without saying a word and making no noise.

If the Defense can yield some turnovers and set up a couple of scores I say they get a win.
I say we get a win anyways. The defense will cause havoc and so will there’s. But we have the absolute best punter in the game and one of the best FG kickers in the game. Field position will determine this one, and we are masters at it. The offense needs to protect the ball at all cost, they do that and it’s a win

If they didn't want to be angry about Oakland then they should have played better football. Right now the strongest, most physical & fundamentally sound football team in all three phases is the Saints. Heavenly Father, I pray for Ryan, Larry, Eric, Andrus, & Teron. I aske that you endow them with heavenly strength from on high like Samson had & bless the swiftness & strength of our wonderful defensive line as well. Give our LBs the Johnny on the spot play diagnosis & protect all of our boys from injuries. God grant Teddy a laser like arm & split second precision timing to the ball out to only his receivers. Give Dan Arnold the power & talent to not only make every grab, but hold onto the ball as those dirty bears try to rip it from his grip. Keep CGM in your merciful blessing & continue to safeguard his talented hands which you gave him. And lead our wonderful young warriors to another glorious victory in Jesus sweet name. WHODAT!

I fear we may have fallen victim to over hyping an opponent this week. We make this Bears team out to be a top notch contender. We talk about their defence like it is last years squad. There is nothing wrong with respecting your opponent.

That being said, I just don’t see one positional matchup that the Bears have the edge in.

Our Oline is Superior, they have the motor to contend with a Mack type player, we have proven this already by going against the Watts and Barrett’s of the league.

We are explosive at RB. Murray is tremendous in zone run schemes and plays with an incredible burst. Bears run game has been anything but good.

MT and Ginn are both better than any receiver on the other team. Robinson is a great player but it isn’t close. He doesn’t have someone to get him the ball.

QB goes to us as well. Teddy makes the right calls, the smart calls. He’s not going to jeopardize a drive by forcing the ball. Trubisky makes bad throws and bad reads.

Defensively, as a unit, our Dline can create better pressure and run stop ability. Same with our LBs.

Our Secondary are shut down type or players. They have major upside on creating turnovers.

The Bears are an average team. We are a great team. If we play a team oriented game and execute at every aspect on O, D and specials, I don’t think it will be close. If we play full tilt boogy, I just can’t see them keeping up.

I truly believe that we will expose them tomorrow for who they really are.

Lest we forget that SP was a sponge in his time with Parcels. He has Demonstrated that he knows how to play small ball. And in these last 4 weeks he has done it beautifully. Let’s hope today he paints his masterpiece

Lest we forget that SP was a sponge in his time with Parcels. He has Demonstrated that he knows how to play small ball. And in these last 4 weeks he has done it beautifully. Let’s hope today he paints his masterpiece

Amen Brother.

Small Ball typically boils down to effort and timing. Taking what is given and being aggressive at the right time. Putting guys in the proper position to succeed. Momentum and field position are crucial in these types of games. We have had a few bungles on play calls that could have cost us over the last month but for the most part, Payton has done a wonderful job of managing these type of games and keeping the boys focused and making the plays to close out games.

That being said, I truly believe that we are going to go into this game with a statement to make. We may not need a lot of small ball this week, could be a real ground and pound, beat em up type of game.

Amen Brother.

Small Ball typically boils down to effort and timing. Taking what is given and being aggressive at the right time. Putting guys in the proper position to succeed. Momentum and field position are crucial in these types of games. We have had a few bungles on play calls that could have cost us over the last month but for the most part, Payton has done a wonderful job of managing these type of games and keeping the boys focused and making the plays to close out games.

That being said, I truly believe that we are going to go into this game with a statement to make. We may not need a lot of small ball this week, could be a real ground and pound, beat em up type of game.

To the extent that pounding helps you control TOP, I would include it in my concept of small ball. I think the game totally hinges on the O line. The way they played against Dallas would get you a loss 98 percent of the time. Most of that game was downright unwatchable due to penalties. Today will show just how much of that was due to Dallas front 7 and how much was just an off day for our line. I’m sure hoping it was the later because even without Hicks, the bears can maul.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom