My guess: Caitlin & Angel will garner co-Rookie of the Year honors (11 Viewers)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
My guess is that Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese will share the 2024 WNBA ROY honor(s). Both have played exceptionally well.

Caitlin is exciting, and is spurred attendance records everywhere she goes.

Angel has already broken the record for consecutive double-double games for a rookie.

My hope is that the best player is recognized based solely on their merits, without political correctness.

Peace, out. 😎

Last edited:
I’m all for them growing the game and growing the brand. They have the potential to be this generations Magic vs Bird (which the league desperately needs if they ever want to get past the low salaries they they often complain about).

I’m all for them growing the game and growing the brand. They have the potential to be this generations Magic vs Bird (which the league desperately needs if they ever want to get past the low salaries they they often complain about).
Complain? Do you not agree?
Brittany Grimes was in Russia bc players wnba salaries pretty much force players to seek additional seasons
And the Magic/Bird comp only gets us a little way there
WNBA has been ascending for several years (in both dabs and product) , when magic bird came to nba it was a godawful mess
And while CC and Angel are good, there’s reason neither are on Olympic team - neither are top 12 players (maybe you could argue for top 20)

Complain? Do you not agree?
Brittany Grimes was in Russia bc players wnba salaries pretty much force players to seek additional seasons
And the Magic/Bird comp only gets us a little way there
WNBA has been ascending for several years (in both dabs and product) , when magic bird came to nba it was a godawful mess
And while CC and Angel are good, there’s reason neither are on Olympic team - neither are top 12 players (maybe you could argue for top 20)
I’m actually fine with players playing oversees in order to make ends meet. Welcome to the real world ladies. Some folks need to work a 2nd or even a 3rd job in order to keep working their dream job.

They say that Bob Cousy played against plumbers and mail men, because he really did play against players who had to take on second jobs in order to keep playing the sport they loved. It’s part of the process for players playing in developing leagues.

This isn’t unique to the WNBA, NBA, NFL, or any other upstart league (and yes, 28 years in I would still consider the WNBA an upstart). We recently watched the US Cricket team compete with players who have full time jobs at Google and Adobe in order to make their cricket playing dreams a reality.

I think the WNBA is positioning itself for long term financial success, and the Angel Reese CC storyline is going to be a big factor in driving that success.

I’m actually fine with players playing oversees in order to make ends meet. Welcome to the real world ladies. Some folks need to work a 2nd or even a 3rd job in order to keep working their dream job.

They say that Bob Cousy played against plumbers and mail men, because he really did play against players who had to take on second jobs in order to keep playing the sport they loved. It’s part of the process for players playing in developing leagues.

This isn’t unique to the WNBA, NBA, NFL, or any other upstart league (and yes, 28 years in I would still consider the WNBA an upstart). We recently watched the US Cricket team compete with players who have full time jobs at Google and Adobe in order to make their cricket playing dreams a reality.

I think the WNBA is positioning itself for long term financial success, and the Angel Reese CC storyline is going to be a big factor in driving that success.
otoh, I’m not a fan of exploiting workers
Seemingly most male team athletes get about 50% of revenue (as valuable as these teams are it should clearly be more, but…)
seems wnba players get about 20%
So almost certainly the revenue is a fraction of nba and even still their cut is much smaller
Not cool - pay them

otoh, I’m not a fan of exploiting workers
Seemingly most male team athletes get about 50% of revenue (as valuable as these teams are it should clearly be more, but…)
seems wnba players get about 20%
So almost certainly the revenue is a fraction of nba and even still their cut is much smaller
Not cool - pay them
I would love to see the books of a WNBA team to see if they could even afford to pay them. I also agree that they should look to make more than what they are making (stagflation is real bruh), however it’s more complex than you or I demanding that they be paid more. The NBA and WNBA need to work together to accomplish that goal.

The NBA owns 50% of the WNBA, and subsidizes the WNBA. Something tells me that if the WNBA were packing the rafters with fans and tv deals were paying the league the GDP of most small countries, then these woman would be compensated more. Wouldn’t you agree?

:covri:

Clark is -800 to win ROTY. Reese is +400.

The media is going to hype it up obvi but it’s really not close.

I rooted for LSU against Iowa and I am a Reese fan but basketball wise it’s not close. It’s not Larry vs Magic it’s more like Larry vs Charles Oakley - which I mean with utmost respect. But they aren’t the same.

Clark is -800 to win ROTY. Reese is +400.

The media is going to hype it up obvi but it’s really not close.

I rooted for LSU against Iowa and I am a Reese fan but basketball wise it’s not close. It’s not Larry vs Magic it’s more like Larry vs Charles Oakley - which I mean with utmost respect. But they aren’t the same.
Why?
Isn’t Angel setting rookie records?

Why?
Isn’t Angel setting rookie records?
They both are. But using a more modern frame of reference Reese’s double double records are what you might see from Sabonis or even Valenciunas. Clark is more like Luka. All great players but different levels.

They both are. But using a more modern frame of reference Reese’s double double records are what you might see from Sabonis or even Valenciunas. Clark is more like Luka. All great players but different levels.
I get what you’re saying but you could have used a much better example to convince me
CC is WAY tougher than Luka - that dude is the paperest of tigers

just do we’re clear, I will never hire you to GM any of my sports franchises

That's fine - I'd only do it in a Jerry Jones/Owner-GM role anyway, in which case I'd probably have Elon shut down SR.com at the first sign of trouble.

Also I would turn SKC into Sphere 2.0.

I have plans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom