N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to stop throwing rocks. The Redskins won THREE Superbowls to our one. (if we count prior to the SB error the disparity widens). We also had 20+ years of consecutive non-winning seasons.

----
And their glory years ended when that doof Snyder bought the team. That's the main reason people have been suggesting new nicknames that imply maximum suckitude.

Red Tails seems like a really bad idea for a name--not because it's not a noble idea to honor true American heroes, but because it's so easily parodied.

What about Washington Potomacs, which references the river and the tribe from the name originates?

For a more patriotic/historical name: Washington Continentals?

Continentals refers to the original founders of the colonies, those were racist slave owners, that would be offensive, so you'll have to cross Continentals off the list of options.

Continentals refers to the original founders of the colonies, those were racist slave owners, that would be offensive, so you'll have to cross Continentals off the list of options.

I’d cross Continentals off because it’s a four syllable word that describes a cheap breakfast.

I do think it is time to changes the name , but I will point out the team name “Yankees” is also derogatory and won’t likely get changed....

some decent names...
Express (not a plural that can be referenced easily in singular form but does represent minority ownership .... FedEx)

Senators (the old baseball team name)

Powhatan (one of the native Virginian tribes that spoke Algonquian

Monks (reference to hall of famer)

Battlers (reference to hall of famer)

Turks (reference to hall of famer)

Diesels (reference to hall of famer)
Yankees is a derogatory name ?
😂😂😂

😂😂😂

Only if you take offense to it. It originally meant a coward or a double-crosser. In the 20th century it morphed into a term for a run of the mill American dumb arse. If you happen to be in Britain or Australia and somebody calls you a bloody yank, it’s not really a term of endearment, no.

It’s in the ballpark of gringo or redneck, kind of a slur but not really packing much of a punch either.

The Yankees were originally called the Highlanders btw.

Washington Georges

(Unless George might be offended. :unsure: )

😂😂😂
Ive been called a damn yankee before and it wasnt somebody being nice.
The term was often used by confederates to describe their northern rivals during the civil war.
Southerners still use it today to demean northern transplants.

Last edited:
American indians were a symbol for the United States. I don't understand why we can't have symbols celebrating them. Just like Uncle Ben. The dude was known for growing great rice. I just don't understand the arguments. But since everything has to be rewritten these days, Redtails sounds like the best choice to me. Something will be wrong with that too I presume.
Make for a great nickname for all the other fans and teams: The Tails

DC Donkeyphants . The mascot should be half donkey and half elephant joined at the abdomen walking in opposite directions. Also for those unaware the name redskins does not root in skin color. The term roots in the legalized bounty for scalping indigenous people and the color of blood. Settlers used the word redskins for mutilated corpses of scalp-hunts for a state bounty per head.https://saintsreport.com/#_edn1 The team name needs to go.

https://saintsreport.com/#_ednref1 1. Dunbar-Ortiz, Roxanne An Indigenous People’s History of the United States (Boston: Beacon Press, 2014) Ch 4 Bloody Footprints
2. Kiernan, Ben Blood and Soil: a World History of Genocide and Extermination from Sparta to Darfur (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007), 356. in 1863 “The State reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom