NCAA Tournament (1 Viewer)

Did he do something? Or you just don't like the dude?
My brother worked for UNO athletics many moons ago, and Buzz was the coach of the men’s basketball team.

UNO decided to come back and play basketball ASAP, but as everyone who lived through Katrina will tell you (and it might shock Steven King) the rebuild (even for UNO) wasn’t easy.

As part of UNO Athletics (because of its size) everyone from the AD down is asked to wear multiple hats (by day you are an accountant, by night you are selling beer at basketball games). Well, when Buzz was coming up with his men’s basketball schedule the AD (Jim Miller, the father of NFL Free Agency) wouldn’t allow Jim to schedule something that he really wanted. Jim’s excuse was “people in the athletic department are still rebuilding, we can’t have them working every night after work because they have their own lives to get in order.”

(My brother was right there when Buzz blurted out the line that would make him person non grata )

Buzz yelled out (so everyone in the area could hear him) “people need to quit blaming Katrina for their problems, and get over it. The storm has passed, this is your job!” Katrina happened less than a year prior, and most of the employees (like my brother) lived in Gentily and Lakeview. My brother worked for UNO for a few years after that, and got a better job with a school in a different state, Buzz left for a different job the next year.

Fug Buzz.

Underneath finger-roll layup to win it - wow. The Terp winger made no effort and the center was blocked out inside so it was basically a 1 on 1 take. Huge cahones there. Great shot.

and I don't think it hit glass - it was an incredible drive and layup scoop. They'd hung 10 points at the rim - all much easier than that one - in the last 6 minutes of the game. And the hardest one with 1.6 seconds left hits.

Incredible.

And the defense was atrocious. Arms to his side? It looked like he was setting himself up to take a charge. He has length. He can move his feet. Just play honest defense. Waters is too good with his feet to get hit with a charge, plus, there's a chance it becomes a blocking foul.

Smith is 6'10". Spread your legs. Get your arms out. Move your feet. I mean, I'm glad he didn't. But if I'm a coach, I'm livid at that effort.

Game was terrific. That shot... just.... unf

and I don't think it hit glass - it was an incredible drive and layup scoop. They'd hung 10 points at the rim - all much easier than that one - in the last 6 minutes of the game. And the hardest one with 1.6 seconds left hits.

Incredible.

And the defense was atrocious. Arms to his side? It looked like he was setting himself up to take a charge. He has length. He can move his feet. Just play honest defense. Waters is too good with his feet to get hit with a charge, plus, there's a chance it becomes a blocking foul.

Smith is 6'10". Spread your legs. Get your arms out. Move your feet. I mean, I'm glad he didn't. But if I'm a coach, I'm livid at that effort.

Yeah the defense was atrocious - all three Terps with a chance to defend just failed.

It did kiss off the glass.

and now to watch two players go at each other I've coached against up here... Brazdeikis vs. Nembhard. So much Canadian talent, and specifically the GTA, in the tournament in recent years

Incredible.

You can't play that way when you have no timeouts left. Contest the shot and if it fails, you go to OT. If that's what Turgeon signaled in then it's on him, but the Terps had been better defensively than they demonstrated on the last shot, which ended their season.

Oh well, young team and good recruits coming in. Just hope we have the coaching to support them.

You can't play that way when you have no timeouts left. Contest the shot and if it fails, you go to OT.

we tell our players all the time - you have to know the game situation. Of course high school varsity vs. NCAA March Madness are on totally different planes.

But situational awareness is something that is hard for players to understand and respond/react to in real time. Take a shot too early in the clock or not soon enough depending on time and probable possessions left in the game. And so on. It's a lot to process, but there's not a lot I can see excuse-able in that defensive breakdown.

we tell our players all the time - you have to know the game situation. Of course high school varsity vs. NCAA March Madness are on totally different planes.

But situational awareness is something that is hard for players to understand and respond/react to in real time. Take a shot too early in the clock or not soon enough depending on time and probable possessions left in the game. And so on. It's a lot to process, but there's not a lot I can see excuse-able in that defensive breakdown.
And you see, Maryland actually HAD a head coach for the game :mad:

The tournament has been fun to watch. I had my eyes on Rui Hatchamura, and I was totally disappointed. That kid is expected to be a top 10 pick.

I'm no where near an expert on B-Ball but from everything I have seen/read is outside of Zion and Ja this draft class is extremely weak. Though next year is expected to be good.

I'm no where near an expert on B-Ball but from everything I have seen/read is outside of Zion and Ja this draft class is extremely weak. Though next year is expected to be good.

Gotta put Barrett in that mix.

If somebody beats Duke I’ll be hella impressed.

Charles Barkley made a good point about LSU and their vulnerability against the zone. They struggled yesterday when maryland went to zone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom