New info on Merriman (1 Viewer)

The thing about steroids now is that there are so many out there and a lot of them are naturally produced by the human body, plus there are so many hormones and steroids put into the cattle, chicken, and turkey we eat; so testing for steroids will never be as acurate as testing for illegal drugs. The interesting thing about Merriman is that he tested positive for nandrolone. Just a few things to note about nandrolone:

Nandrolone is an anabolic steroid that has recently caused a great deal of controversy after a number of big name athletes have been banned from competition after failing tests for this drug. These include Linford Christie, Mark Richardson and Dougie Walker (all well known British sprinters), Merlene Ottey (the Jamaican former 200 m world champion), and Dieter Baumann (the German 500 m runner). After protesting their innocence, all were subsequently cleared by their national athletics organisations, although the International Amateur Athletics Federation fueled the controversy further by overturning the reinstatement of Christie and Walker. As well as athletes, French soccer star Christophe Dugarry tested positive for nandrolone after a match last year, and following a Wimbledon quarter final in 1998 Czech tennis player Petr Korda also failed a test. But the fact that so many sportsmen have tested positive for the same substance in such a short space of time has led to speculation that the testing procedure may be flawed, or inaccurate.

The drug known as nandrolone (also known commercially as Deca-Durabolin) has the IUPAC name 17b-hydroxy-19-nor-4-andro-sten-3-one, and is an anabolic steroid (a muscle-building chemical) which occurs naturally in the human body, but only in tiny quantities. It is very similar in structure to the male hormone testosterone, and has many of the same effects in terms of increasing muscle mass, without some of the more unwanted side-effects such as increased body hair or aggressive behaviour. As such, it is being actively examined in clinical tests as a possible treatment for wasting diseases, and to strengthen and increase body tissue and musculature in HIV infected men. In this form it is usually injected in its decanoate form, after first being dissolved in a suitable edible oil.

However, what is detected in the drug tests is the metabolism product of this molecule, called 19-norandrosterone, which is excreted from the body in urine, making it easy to obtain samples. A limit of 2 ng per ml of urine (set by the International Olympic Committee) is the maximum concentration thought possible to occur in human body by 'natural means', and if this is exceeded the drug test is considered positive. Since some samples given by athletes have shown levels up to 100 times higher than this, the conclusion is that the athletes must have been taking extra quantities of the drug to enhance their performance.

Isn't a google search and "cut and paste" great? http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/nandrolone/nandc.htm

You left out the following from this article which should have been inserted here:

"So, if the tests are flawed, what could be going wrong? Many excuses have been put forward to suggest why nandrolone is present in much higher concentrations than it should be. Bobsleigh racer Lenny Paul said that his positive test was due to eating a plate of spaghetti bolognese which contained beef from cattle that had been fed steroids. Although the UK Sport Nandrolone Review Group said that there was only a 'remote' possibility of meat consumption leading to a positive test, the athlete was cleared by his sporting body. Another sportsman, a boxer, said he failed his test after having sex with his pregnant wife! He too, was cleared.

Another possible explanation, often cited by athletes caught with positive tests, is that the nandrolone in their system arose from the use of protein milkshakes and the amino acid creatine, which are perfectly legal and used as dietary supplements to increase weight. But it is difficult to see how nandrolone could be produced from the benign components of these substances, unless they had been accidentally or deliberately contaminated. Subsequent testing, however, ruled out any deliberate contamination."

A much more likely theory has recently emerged from the results of a preliminary investigation at Aberdeen University. The findings are that dietary supplements themselves are harmless and produce no increased levels of nandrolone. Exercise alone, too, doesn't cause any problems. But a combination of both dietary supplements (none of which contain a banned substance) and exercise, can result in a positive nandrolone test. The reason for this is still unclear, but one theory is that there is a link between heavy training, the dehydration that goes with it, and their effects upon the components of high protein diets. Until more work is done, however, the 'nandrolone mystery' goes on...

For a much more detailed review of the issues involved in drug taking and testing in sports, see the excellent article in Chemistry in Britain (vol.36, September 2000) written by Rob Kingston.

The University of Aberdeen study was discounted by an arbitration panel for a variety of scientific reasons, including the fact that the professor who conducted the study was not independent as he subsequently was part of the U.K. Athletics disciplinary committee that considered favourably the cases of Christie, Walker and Cadogan.

As for the "Chemistry in Britain" article by Dr. Rob Kingston, I've read it. It does not support the Aberdeen study, but does cites it under a section titled, "Excuses, Excuses...".

Great post Pjgaryjr. I do often wonder how these players have gotten so much bigger and faster than they were just a few short years ago? Like one of the HBO NFL analyst's said, You see guys that are in the 270 lb range that run a 4.5 40, where it used to be 240 lb players that could do that. Somehow they are getting freakishly bigger and faster?

Merriman's defense, as I understand it, is that his supplements were "tainted" with the illegal substance. My question is: is nandrolone ingestible, or must it be injected to be useful?

Merriman's defense, as I understand it, is that his supplements were "tainted" with the illegal substance. My question is: is nandrolone ingestible, or must it be injected to be useful?

According to a Sport Law Centre article, nandrolone has become available in pill form which is more easily ingested and more quickly cleared from the system, thus increasing its usage by athletes.

I was just about to get to that...

To my knowledge, there is no way to make nandrolone metabolize orally.

Had to be injected...

Thanks, Biloxi. I had wondered about that.

As a much younger man I took Deca-Durabolin AND Dyanabol one injectable the other in capsule form! You don't take these without KNOWING your taking them! There may be other ways these days of having a % of these muscle enhancing drugs administered (in the way of various powdered suppliments or someuch but I seeriously doubt it!)

Merriman is a BEAST and now we, sort of, know why!

As a much younger man I took Deca-Durabolin AND Dyanabol one injectable the other in capsule form! You don't take these without KNOWING your taking them! There may be other ways these days of having a % of these muscle enhancing drugs administered (in the way of various powdered suppliments or someuch but I seeriously doubt it!)

Merriman is a BEAST and now we, sort of, know why!

It's also stupid for a guy making millions of dollars a year to take a substance which creates an unknown effect in his system. I call BS....QOUTE]

Maybe so, but this guy is pretty young. Were you always as cautious and responsible and wise at that young of an age? If you ask the team trainer and he says it looks fine does this account for anything? Maybe Merriman himself was unaware this could happen, otherwise he would have been more careful.

While it's true that I wasn't as cautious at Merriman's age as I am now, your line of questioning overlooks the fact that Merriman is a multi-millionaire athlete playing playing in a league which has some very clear-cut guidelines pertaining to substances and the legalities thereof. Merriman had business to determine the legality (or lack thereof) of the substances prior to using them.

If the team trainer gave him the go-ahead, then let's see the proof. Shouldn't there be some sort of official letterhead accompanying the trainer's certification of legality of the substance?

Further down the road, shouldn't there be some sort of repercussions against said trainer, had he given poor guidance to Merriman? Perhaps a lawsuit against that trainer is/should be forthcoming (for lost paychecks due to bad info cauing bad tests)?

I'm not ready to proclaim Merriman guilty of anything other than poor judgement at this point. But if further inquiries offer proof of Merriman's attempt to skirt the system via masking agents, I submit that a 4-game suspension isn't enough.

So are you saying that even if he did test positive, that he should sue people because they reported this information? They aren't stating anything false, he's the one that took the substance, so he's the one causing himself to lose face. Even if for some reason his appeal goes through and its shown that he wasn't on "steroids" then it still doesn't matter, because he tested "positive" on the first test and that is what they are reporting. They aren't saying he's smoking crack in some back alley somewhere. They stated that he tested positive for a banned substance.

No, he's saying that Mort shouldn't report that it absolutely is steroids when there was no way to know.

No, he's saying that Mort shouldn't report that it absolutely is steroids when there was no way to know.

Sadly, if Mort reported only the actual facts he wouldn't have a job!!! It seems that he throws stories out there hoping that most stick. Some end up sticking better than others and some flop completely.

Remember when the news came out ESPN's Chris Mortenson was quick to say Merriman failed his urine anaylisis for "steroids", Merriman test positive for steroids was the breaking news ticker, and "it is definately steroids" was what came out of anyone's mouth who reported this? If I were Shawn Merriman, I would lawyer up. He got trashed, no matter if he is completely innocent, he got trashed. His rep will forever be stained much the same way a man with false rape or molestation charges is forever stained.

I do not think ESPN is vindicative. I do believe the NFL needs to start firing people who are leaking these results that are supposed to be "confidential". And to not link the whole truth is the worst of it. Merriman's test showed that his body showed TRACES of a chemical that METABOLIZES LIKE nanodrol. Lets explore that. There have been many players in the NFL who have tested positive for steroids. Take QB Jim Miller for example. He took over the counter (OTC) health supplements, which metabolized in his body as a trace of a steroid. He tested after working out, before he got in the cold tub, and tested positive. 4 hours later he showed as clean.

These OTC supplements ARE NOT REGULATED BY THE FDA. The list of ingredients, therefore, is not accurate. The NFL has no "go to guy" to ask about whether a new supplement is safe. There is no list either. The fact is, you or I could take the same OTC supplement right now. There are no ingredients on the label banned by the NFL. Some of the herbal ingredients will metabolize differently in body than in yours. I may show a large level of estrogen, you may show a small level of a substance that chemically is similar to an anabolic steroid. Does this mean you took steroids? Does this mean that atheletes should not take supplements? Protein shakes? Vitamens?

My purpose in writing this is not to defend Merriman. It is, however, to help you as the fan make an informed opinion. The media, in every facet, on every issue and subject, the greater majority of the time lacks objectivity and goes with the story that either makes the best headline, whether or not the info is accurate, or coincides with the propaganda of conditioning the public to think a certain way. It is just sad what crappy reporting does to people's reputations.

For the record, no appeal has ever been won by someone who fails a urine anaylisis in the NFL. I doubt it will change in Merriman's case. The NFL has taken a zero tolerance stance and will not budge, no matter what circumstances transpired, or even if the person can be proven to be innocent. This shows that at least the NFL picks no favorites in who to test or how to punish. That is all good, but in the future, the FDA should get involved in regulating these OTC supplements. Thats a multi-billion dollar industry. On the other side, the NFL should have a list of approved supplements, and also someone in place to approve/disapprove new supplements as they arise.

I believe Merriman is innocent in that he took a supplement with no ingredients that were banned by the NFL. This supplement metabolized in his body, leaving a chemical signature of a trace of a substance "LIKE" a steroid. I think it is a shame he will lose the appeal, a shame this happens often, and a shame that there are many who rush to judgement. I am against steroids and their abuse. There are good medical uses that are prescribed, but I do not believe in the advantage they give and the integrity they rob the game of. On the subject of supplements, I differ in opinion. They are legal, have no harm on your body, and benefit your total health. How many of your children drink protein shakes or take supplements?

One last thing. The substance abuse policy for most substances gives a 4 game suspension on the second violation. For steroids, you get the suspension on your first violation. There has been confusion, and many people believe since he is getting a 4 game suspension this is his second time. The fact about bodies metabolizing supplements differently and supplements leaving different signature traces is not well known to the media, but players are aware of it. I have seen former players like Chris Carter lash out against Merriman, claiming that someone with a body his size should not be as athletic as it is, therefore, this proves he is on the juice since you never saw someone 270lbs run a 40 in 4.4 ever. To this I say that todays linebackers, RB's, and some QB's are the size of yesterday's offensive lineman. Average height, weight, and sizes are growing larger not only in the NFL, but in America in general over the past 30 years. Genetics are improving becuase the gene pool is more diverse. I criticize Carter for being so quick to bash Merriman. I generally dislike yahoo NFL "anaylists" anyway.

I hate to break the news to you but you are uninformed. The NFL DOES have a list. They pay EAS a popular suppliment company to test and approve a list of suppliments and approve them for use by NFL players. They take a random sampling of a suppliment and break them down in the EAS labratories, the Myoplex series that i use is on the list. Basically if it is on the list then its approved. I lift 6 days a week and have been on numerous suppliments. I KNOW what goes into my body because I use reputable companies and their products. The only way to get nandro or its precursors in your body is by using a suppliment ordered from another country where is is LEGAL (neither nandro or its its precursors are legal in the United States) or by using the steroid itself. What the previous poster would like you to believe is that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it could be an antelope. It is a duck dude........

These athletes get paid millions of dollars a year. They have a small army of doctors and nutritionists on hand 24 hours a day. They have UNLIMITED resources at their disposal and your telling me that they can't monitor what they are taking? That they don't know what they are putting in their bodies??
PLEASE.... give me a break... What the previous poster would have you belive is that there was a conspiracy... a disreputable suppliment dealer laced their product with a steroid.... setting up MILLIONS of dollars in fines and possible FDA banning of their whole product lines. After all maybe just maybe noone would ever notice.....i mean its not like there are several different magazines and companies that validate and check the claims of nutritional products...... once again people don't let people make you believe the truth is beyond the rainbow and past the pot of gold when its staring you straight in the face.

By the way i DO believe that a players right to confidentiality are ARE being breeched by these finding going public. Reporters are getting way too much information and fines should be levied.

"Supplements" is ALWAYS the excuse from EVERY player. Why? Because even if it was steroids, the public will hear Merriman say "supplements" so the public remembers that. So if his agent gets him an endorsement deal, the public will remember he took the wrong "supplements", not steroids.

Sorry, but he should know what the supplements have in them, if he indeed took supplements and not steroids. If he doesn't, why take them? Supplements don't do anything extraordinary that he just "has" to use them. And if they do, then there performance-enhancing.

Using the "supplement" defense is a cop-out, plain and simple. He plays in the NFL with official, professional team doctors that could tell him what supplements are okay. He has teammates who have been around that could tell him based on their own, or others', experiences. It is the player's job to know what goes into his body, tainted supplement or not. If someone slips me a drug, such as PCP, ito my drink and I get tested, jail, no questions asked. It is your responsibility and if you get caught, you lose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom