Not a good sign (1 Viewer)

We didn't reach an agreement, thus, no violation. It's possible that the Panthers did 'reach an agreement' though that's Payton's perception as Stephens et al weren't returning calls.

Now, if there was a rule that teams can't contact players or make any offers before the draft ends, then we'd be guilty, as would every other team.

Except that he didn't, so is that a violation?

I’m definitely not a lawyer and don’t know where to look to see the exact rule how it’s written, but my common sense tells me we were in violation for offering something we weren’t allowed to offer. I don’t think a young football player’s decision to accept or decline an “illegal” offer will have as much impact on the decision as many believe. I hope if anything, we get a slap on the wrist. As said, this seems to be common practice, but Payton publicly confessed of making him an offer, which definitely puts us in a negative spotlight.

They are all wrong. King is just a mouthpiece (like Squealer in Animal Farm). Payton is arrogant. Goodell is dishonest and always happy to use us as an example to pretend he cares about the rules, especially when Payton yanks his chain. The Panthers cheated.

If the league wants to help cut this out maybe they should place a 24-48 hour grace period after the draft before any UDFA can be signed. It still will not stop teams but the kids can have more time between actually being forced put their signature on a contract.

Do not go to Vegas and bet. You are clueless. IF the Saints violated the rules, it is their fault and stupidity. What I cannot understand, is WHY did Payton make any comments, regarding on what went down?

I think you missed the sarcasm.
Considering that's exactly what bountygate eas.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about here. King is a hack and a tool for the NFL, I really don't understand what else he would have to write to make it more obvious.

That said, the player was eligible to be drafted, we drafted him. Period.

That said, there is a good chance said player doesn't even make the team....

I have nothing left to say here....:)

I don't see any difference in showing interest for someone projected for round 1,2, or 3 and someone projected for 6, 7, or UDFA. What's the big deal? Every player is a FA, every player is signable. As long as there is no ink before Mr. Irrelevant is picked, it's just talk. If you can't talk to UDFA's, you can't talk to projected 1, 2, or 3rd rounders.

Have I got this right?
  • Saints call to express interest (allowed)
  • Tommy has already cut deal with Carolina (prohibited)
  • Saint trade back into draft to kneecap Carolina's illegal deal. (allowed)

I also think everyone here is missing a potentially critical point. The league office sent out a memo, pre-draft, to all the possible on-camera personnel stating that only league sponsor appropriate items should be visible in the frame. Coach had a sundry of refreshments and a pile of snacks that are direct competitors of the league sponsors, counter to the memorandum.

Now that might piss of Goofdell way more that signing a seventh round QB and the shenanigans surrounding the signing. That vindictive jerk might go after Coach P. and the Saints as payback for “Snack-gate” during the draft.

Have I got this right?
  • Saints call to express interest (allowed)
  • Tommy has already cut deal with Carolina (prohibited)
  • Saint trade back into draft to kneecap Carolina's illegal deal. (allowed)

You are missing the part of the story where Payton specifically said the Saints tried to outbid Carolina’s contract offer. When the player refused because they didn’t want to go back on their word with Carolina, that’s when The Saints jumped back into the draft and selected him.

I also think everyone here is missing a potentially critical point. The league office sent out a memo, pre-draft, to all the possible on-camera personnel stating that only league sponsor appropriate items should be visible in the frame. Coach had a sundry of refreshments and a pile of snacks that are direct competitors of the league sponsors, counter to the memorandum.

Now that might piss of Goofdell way more that signing a seventh round QB and the shenanigans surrounding the signing. That vindictive jerk might go after Coach P. and the Saints as payback for “Snack-gate” during the draft.

The sponsors know they would look petty and stupid if they pushed the league to punish Payton for his Coke. Whereas, maybe 2% of the public noticed the dig, making a fuss and penalizing Payton would give coke much wider exposure.

The memo was just to prevent any overt promotions.

You are missing the part of the story where Payton specifically said the Saints tried to outbid Carolina’s contract offer. When the player refused because they didn’t want to go back on their word with Carolina, that’s when The Saints jumped back into the draft and selected him.

He must have given a second interview because I missed that part in the one I listened to. But if Carolina had already violated the rules with a negotiated deal then it's a lot harder to find blame with Payton simply playing Carolina's game.

If this is the exact wording of the memo it is hard to see where the Saints violated it.

The memo (a copy of which PFT has obtained) contains this message, which is the only passage in the three-page document that appears in bold print, with both underlining and yellow highlighting:

“Although a club may inform a player or his agent that the club would be interested in the player’s services if the player is not drafted, no oral or written agreement can be made regarding a player’s future employment.”

As I understand from all sources Steven's agent rejected the Saints, hence no offer, verbal or written, was in fact made.

If this is the exact wording of the memo it is hard to see where the Saints violated it.

The memo (a copy of which PFT has obtained) contains this message, which is the only passage in the three-page document that appears in bold print, with both underlining and yellow highlighting:

“Although a club may inform a player or his agent that the club would be interested in the player’s services if the player is not drafted, no oral or written agreement can be made regarding a player’s future employment.”

As I understand from all sources Steven's agent rejected the Saints, hence no offer, verbal or written, was in fact made.

So the question is, is attempting to violate a rule and publicly admitting it grounds for punishment? Are we totally innocent because the other party refused our "forbidden" offer. I'd like to think we'll just get a warning and that be it, but I can honestly see where this could call for some sort of fine or loss of draft pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom