Not sure how you fix New Orleans [MERGED] (2 Viewers)

I cant even tell if this guy has any legit points or not because he cant stop railing against the evils of - GASP! - marijuana…. I dont do it myself, but you cant tell me it’s any worse than alcohol which is obviously not outlawed.

Also, like so many misguided souls, he cant help but whine about “the smells” on Bourbon St.. i have always wanted to scream from the Heavens, but no one ever seems to get it, that IT’S THE TOURISTS WHO VISIT and cant hold their liquor who then vomit and urinate on the streets, causing said smell.

wait a min...weed now legal in New Orleans????

Must be, because stroll down 16th St in Denver buddy...will you write the Mayor of Denver too about the "evils of weed" while they rake in billions in taxes?

The guy is on point. We are visiting from Connecticut this week and it’s truly sad at how the city looked and felt. I don’t mind the weed smell but at every red light it smelled like I killed a skunk. Can’t they make that stuff smell better. They had a group of guys smoking that skunk weed outside the rental car building at the airport as well.

Also while its not just limited to NOLA I take a deep interest as my brother is NOPD and is really over worked and always exhausted. It’s a recipe for disaster.

The smell of weed is indeed pretty pervasive these days. They've decriminalized it in Orleans Parish so whatever flimsy pretense was ever in place to keep it out of public view is long gone. It's a lot.

As for the rest of it, I am pretty concerned about the state of the NOPD and our crime rate. We have always led the league (or been near the top) in violent crime but we have fewer officers on the force than at any time since 1978, and its getting worse, for lots of reasons both local and national.

The homeless problem has definitely surged in the last 2 years, Can't tell how much of that is COVID and how much is just a permanent condition. It used to be mostly under the I-10 underpass, but folks are sleeping all over the CBD.

Saw a dude passed out on Canal two weeks ago on a Tuesday morning around 9:30 in the neutral ground where the streetcar stops for the medical complex. Just didn't expect that. Guess he slept it off or one of the streetcar conductors radioed to get some help because he was gone by the time I came back through about 2 hours later.

I cant even tell if this guy has any legit points or not because he cant stop railing against the evils of - GASP! - marijuana…. I dont do it myself, but you cant tell me it’s any worse than alcohol which is obviously not outlawed.

Also, like so many misguided souls, he cant help but whine about “the smells” on Bourbon St.. i have always wanted to scream from the Heavens, but no one ever seems to get it, that IT’S THE TOURISTS WHO VISIT and cant hold their liquor who then vomit and urinate on the streets, causing said smell.
sounds like one of our posters talking about when he has to drive to Portland - those goggles go on before he pulls out of the driveway

Every local, state, and federal government agency is facing shortages. Anyone with a pension and enough years retired in 2020.

Nola and consent decree for 50k, JPSO for 45k, or Kenner for 48k as first year officer salary? There’s also the north shore competing. What’s the worth of 2-5k? What’s the local opinion of police in varying areas?

The smell of weed is indeed pretty pervasive these days. They've decriminalized it in Orleans Parish so whatever flimsy pretense was ever in place to keep it out of public view is long gone. It's a lot.

As for the rest of it, I am pretty concerned about the state of the NOPD and our crime rate. We have always led the league (or been near the top) in violent crime but we have fewer officers on the force than at any time since 1978, and its getting worse, for lots of reasons both local and national.

The homeless problem has definitely surged in the last 2 years, Can't tell how much of that is COVID and how much is just a permanent condition. It used to be mostly under the I-10 underpass, but folks are sleeping all over the CBD.
well like MBS was saying it's a national issue - mix of economy & covid
it will get put on blast hugely bc like the pushback on the non-issue of CRT which is actually a kneejerk to the George Floyd debacle and the defund/reallocate discussion -- it will also be a major cudgel for upcoming midterms (whether it's an actual issue or not)

immigration plays big for national elections, crime plays big for locals

This is a little alarming.

We have visited twice a year, every year, for the past 15 years.

It's our favorite city in America.

We are going in a few weeks......I just hope it still has the great NOLA feel to it.....and I hope we are safe.

We are going in a few weeks......I just hope it still has the great NOLA feel to it.....and I hope we are safe.
You probably will be.

and that's kind of the thing isn't it - safety is a feeling much more than an actual dynamic
even at its worst in the early 90s, they likelihood of being a random victim of a crime is rather small
most crime stats are still those where the perp and victim know each other
obviously there is some mugging crime, but those are usually target rich - drunk tourists wandering away from crowds at 3am looking for their car or something
leaving a restaurant to walk to your car at 9pm is probably safer than the car trip to their

Denver has issues with homeless as well. As i imagine most metropolitan areas that see growth/contraction etc. Just as bad as described in the Facebook letter. Id argue worse because they have "encampments" along side streets off 16th and 17th ( we walked from our hotel to our friends apt on 17th and N. Clarkson and he pointed out specific areas they tend to congregate.

One block, they removed the grass between sidewalk and street and replaced with river rock to discourage them from putting up tents.

So its pretty bad i would guess everywhere and NO is no different from other cities.

What to do about it? Im not sure where to start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom