One of the Backups Starting? (1 Viewer)

No one said the backup did anything to warrant stepping in. If we had a seasoned veteran, as a backup, the offense stalled for how many weeks, and he never got inserted in. So why would a rookie?
I don't think I needed to wait for an invitation to bring it up. Thanks anyway.

Rattler nor Haener is getting in if DC4 plays poorly. Peterman may not even make the roster and if he does, and somehow gets into a game, then Lord have mercy on us all. This is a ride or die situation. It’s that simple.
I think the premise of this conversation (at least how I understand it) is what if Carr is out performed by young draftees behind him will they get an opportunity to supplant him if they (Haener or Rattler) have as good or better grasp of the offense.

As others have stated, I would think that Carr would have to really be putrid for DA to take that leap. Consider the following:

1. DA helped convince ML to bring Carr in.
2. DA quickly soured on Jameis Winston, I suspect because he thought SP and ML saddled him with Winston.
3. DA played Carr AND Winston when arguably the better option might have been to make them both sit until they were healthy and play one of the backups.
4. DA's fundemental approach is risk averse. From what I've seen, he doesn't take nearly as many risks as other HCs, esp. Sean Payton.

Everything points to DA's fate being tied to Carr's. I don't see DA benching a healthy--or even a banged up Carr--for any backup, and if he does both might be run out of town by next year.

So unless Carr is severely injured, I don't see any of the backups playing in the regular season. And if Carr is so bad that warrants benching him, DA might be out the door too.

So unless Carr is severely injured, I don't see any of the backups playing in the regular season. And if Carr is so bad that warrants benching him, DA might be out the door too.
One has to wonder if it will even be DA’s call to keep Carr in if he’s playing poorly. Loomis might override that decision.

That's right up my alley because I like young QBs to start in season 1 or 2.

I think Haener and Rattler both have the talent to be starters, but a 3 game preseason absolutely ruins the opportunity for fans to make a fair assessment. Rattler made us forget how promising Haener looked last season. We'll see who's the most consistent and works the hardest, and see who goes in when Carr gets nicked.

I think the premise of this conversation (at least how I understand it) is what if Carr is out performed by young draftees behind him will they get an opportunity to supplant him if they (Haener or Rattler) have as good or better grasp of the offense.
It was asked, what if DC4 plays so “putrid-ly”, could he be benched for a rookie or Haener. The only way anyone besides DC4 could outperform him, would be in practice, which is not the same as a game. Now if he asked, if DC4 missed time due to an injury, and Rattler/Haener played better in live action game time, could he be benched? Thats a better question. Even then, DC4 would not lose his starting spot to anyone. This is DC4’s team this year and next. Personally, I would like to think that every man has the equal opportunity to be the man, but we all know that is not the case. I’m pro-DC4 btw, so I don’t need anyone (not specifying you) thinking I’m not. It’s just what it is. This is 100% DC4’s team regardless of anything, excluding potential long term injury.

If we really want Rattler to potentially be the guy moving forward….. I think it’s in everyone’s best interest that he sits the entire year. End of a blow out or game that doesn’t mean anything, sure. But too often now QBs are thrown in before they’ve really grasped the magnitude of NFL defenses and that’s the last you’ll see of them with that team. Him sitting a whole year and getting a grasp of the offense/NFL defenses from a different perspective is invaluable IMO. Injuries change all of that. But I don’t see a scenario (other than already mentioned) where a healthy Carr shouldn’t play this year.

As others have stated, I would think that Carr would have to really be putrid for DA to take that leap. Consider the following:

1. DA helped convince ML to bring Carr in.
2. DA quickly soured on Jameis Winston, I suspect because he thought SP and ML saddled him with Winston.
3. DA played Carr AND Winston when arguably the better option might have been to make them both sit until they were healthy and play one of the backups.
4. DA's fundemental approach is risk averse. From what I've seen, he doesn't take nearly as many risks as other HCs, esp. Sean Payton.

Everything points to DA's fate being tied to Carr's. I don't see DA benching a healthy--or even a banged up Carr--for any backup, and if he does both might be run out of town by next year.

I think all that goes out the window with back to back QB selections

Your trying to add competition to the QB room but also with an eye for the future, if one of these guys actually show clear ability, Carrs days are numbered because just like any other position on an NFL roster the young ascending player keeps the team moving forward and your able to focus on other needs.

If we really want Rattler to potentially be the guy moving forward….. I think it’s in everyone’s best interest that he sits the entire year.
It's hard to keep a good young QB out of the game. The coaches will pay lip service to the learning process, but when they get half a chance, he will be put in a game. Almost all the really good QBs start early.

I don’t see DC as the issue on offense

my number 1 concern today is still LT and would like to see a bigger thumper RB

I do think the change in OC will help but if we don’t get a proven LT

It's hard to keep a good young QB out of the game. The coaches will pay lip service to the learning process, but when they get half a chance, he will be put in a game. Almost all the really good QBs start early.
Not saying there’s not more exceptions, but because you said “almost all” I had to reply. Palmer, Vick, Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Romo, Rogers. Not saying it’s the end all be all of successful career, but there’s goats in that list, don’t think that can be ignored.

DC4 goes out with an injury vs. Green Bay, we had a 17-0 lead if memory serves me correctly. We lose that game which cost us the division title.
DC4 is not going to play putrid within this offense.
Hopefully we get better play from our backup qb this season.

Let me preface this by saying I don’t wish this to happen, but would there be a point in the season where DC4 plays so putrid that there is a possibility they consider playing Rattler or Haener? I mean there’s a lot of hype for Rattler already and there’s a chance that DC doesn’t catch on to the new OC scheme. Just throwing it out there. Don’t hate me please!
I just saw this and thought I’d add it to the discussion. I think Matt can sometimes be a contrarian but this kind of jibes with what I was getting at.

He never really did play putrid at all. We just have become spoiled to Drew's play that everything else is a drop off. The hate that Carr gets is wholly undeserved, I feel the same way about Allen.

68% completion percentage, 3900 yards, 25 TD and 8 ints, is not putrid. He had a couple of mid games when he was playing injured, but he never had a multi-int game, had muilti-TD games 8 times, 6 games over 300 yards passing, I could go on, but it wont change anyone's mind.

In reality he only had 1 bad game, the first game against Tampa, which was Kamara's first game back, and DC was injured from the green bay game the week before. We predictably gave the ball to kamara for almost half our offensive snaps, and Tampa was expecting that. Then he got knocked out of the Vikings game. Not counting those 3 games, he either threw for 200+ yards, or we won the game the rest of the season.

It's weird we have fans rooting for him to fail.

the schadenfreude aimed at our own team is nonsensical.
Thank you 🙏

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom