Payton Turner Could be Elite (1 Viewer)

To be fair, no one is calling Turner elite (yet) either.

The premise of the thread (and video linked in the OP) is that he has the potential/ability to be elite.

I think the poster you quoted was just pointing out that while Cam didn’t have a fantastic rookie year (for a few reasons), he flashed elite-level potential.

Cam realized that potential. Nobody is disputing that Turner might not. It is too early to say either way. People are just pointing out that when he was healthy, he played very well as a rookie.
my bad. I am just tired of throwing the elite word about like that. when he did play, he did flash pretty good. I guess I am old school and I like to see it for a couple of years before the elite word is used. remember Crawley had a good first season and we all thought he would be the next number two and the next year he fell apart. I just hope he isn't another Davenport. Plenty of talent but can't stay healthy. Hopefully the guy we got from Bama will help keep the players as healthy as possible.

Many, including myself, thought Cam Jordan was a bust after year 1. And look at him now, one of the all-time Saints greats and a possible HOFer if he can close his career out strong and maybe add a championship to his resume.

Give this young man some time; he’s shown flashes.

Look in any Mike Thomas thread recently or a Kamara thread from a few seasons ago. I'm sure that some of it is residual from MT clapping back on Brees after his . . . . statement a few seasons ago.
I think it's deeper / longer running than that. It may not be a popular view to say this, but it comes across as an expectation that the player should be performing at a high level, without exception, like some piece of autonomous machinery, rather than thinking about the person who is injured, unable to play the sport they love, as well as rely on for their income, while facing the mental and physical challenges of rehab back into playing condition.

It's pretty unreasonable to treat people like machines.

The premise of the thread (and video linked in the OP) is that he has the potential/ability to be elite.

I think the poster you quoted was just pointing out that while Cam didn’t have a fantastic rookie year (for a few reasons), he flashed elite-level potential.

Cam realized that potential. Nobody is disputing that Turner might not. It is too early to say either way. People are just pointing out that when he was healthy, he played very well as a rookie.
This bears repeating. People getting all indignant about talking about his potential are being silly.

my bad. I am just tired of throwing the elite word about like that. when he did play, he did flash pretty good. I guess I am old school and I like to see it for a couple of years before the elite word is used. remember Crawley had a good first season and we all thought he would be the next number two and the next year he fell apart. I just hope he isn't another Davenport. Plenty of talent but can't stay healthy. Hopefully the guy we got from Bama will help keep the players as healthy as possible.
To add to your point, PJ wasn't great at corner, but moving him to safety has been a revelation on his ability to impact games. I wasn't calling Turner elite, but the video was right about his hand usage. It's what he and Cam had in common in the first season. Hand usage was borderline great, but he couldn't string it all together and couldn't stay healthy. Cam is just built different to miss as few games as he has. No other pass rusher in his draft class has come close to his ability to avoid injury.

This 100%

I think it's deeper / longer running than that. It may not be a popular view to say this, but it comes across as an expectation that the player should be performing at a high level, without exception, like some piece of autonomous machinery, rather than thinking about the person who is injured, unable to play the sport they love, as well as rely on for their income, while facing the mental and physical challenges of rehab back into playing condition.

It's pretty unreasonable to treat people like machines.
these players have injuries that would basically put normal people in the hospital. I get that players get injured. the human body wasn't designed to play football. I really don't care if a player can't play because he is hurt. take all the time he needs to get well. we see a relative few players play every snap, every game, every year until they retire. that is not the norm. heck, look at soccer players, a blade of grass falls on them and they roll around like they were shot by a sniper.

To add to your point, PJ wasn't great at corner, but moving him to safety has been a revelation on his ability to impact games. I wasn't calling Turner elite, but the video was right about his hand usage. It's what he and Cam had in common in the first season. Hand usage was borderline great, but he couldn't string it all together and couldn't stay healthy. Cam is just built different to miss as few games as he has. No other pass rusher in his draft class has come close to his ability to avoid injury.
actually, when PJ was drafted, most of the "experts" said that his best move would be to move to safety. finally the Saints did move him and his play greatly improved. they now are saying the same thing thing about Taylor. Will the Saints stick him at corner or move him to safety? Payton Turner has elite traits. that is not in doubt. his get off was near the top of the league and his pressure rate was around 10% which is pretty dang good. and to be real honest here, I guess I shouldn't come online here after working a 14 hour day and imbibe on some green and read and react. I love my Saints but some folks believe that every Saint should be an all pro or pro bowler and that is just insane. give Turner some time and he can get elite. just not right now. now watch, he balls out and makes me look crazy, but I wouldn't mind that at all. prove me wrong and I will smile while they are hoisting the trophy. You are one of the few that don't gush over players without cause and I didn't mean to call you out. sorry brother.

You are one of the few that don't gush over players without cause and I didn't mean to call you out. sorry brother.
No worries. I went back and read what I wrote and saw how it could easily be interpreted the way you took it. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom