Beastie Boys... license to ill
Michael Jackson...Thriller
Toad the wet sprocket....fear
Weird al yankovic....haha....greatest hits
Nirvana...nevermind
Just too many but this thread is bringing
back memories.

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yeah, only five songs and two are nearly the same, but it's perfect.
Actually, "Dogs", and " Sheep" are more fully worked out, lyrically mature, and articulate final versions of bits and pieces of previous PF songs the group had been rehearsing and playing live for a few years called, "You Gotta be Crazy" and " Raving and Drooling" where actual lyric stanzas from these songs are on those previously mentioned songs on Animals. The music is far more harder, intense, and has less fluid textures you see on DSOM and Wish You Were Here, but more strident in its focus and album themes overall.

I've said it on SR before and I'll say here it again, Animals was probably the gradual but likely inevitable start of Pink Floyd's music/lyrical and album themes being more a vehicle for Roger Waters ideas and feelings towards organized religion, ruthless unfettered capitalism, morally vacant and disreputable yet "holier-than-thou" moral crusaders who are in actuality the worst type of hypocrites possible.

Roger Waters probably would be the first to say Animals wasn't his best, most creative PF album in terms of his lyrical contribution, overall socio-political themes and commentary at least compared to the Wall, to a lesser extent The Final Cit and some of his later solo albums, the characters, songs, and images are somewhat crude in how their portrayed and expressed, by comparison.

Alanis Morisette- Jagged Little Pill
Boys II Men - II
Michael Jackson- Thriller
Fleetwood Mack - Rumours

Actually, "Dogs", and " Sheep" are more fully worked out, lyrically mature, and articulate final versions of bits and pieces of previous PF songs the group had been rehearsing and playing live for a few years called, "You Gotta be Crazy" and " Raving and Drooling" where actual lyric stanzas from these songs are on those previously mentioned songs on Animals. The music is far more harder, intense, and has less fluid textures you see on DSOM and Wish You Were Here, but more strident in its focus and album themes overall.

I've said it on SR before and I'll say here it again, Animals was probably the gradual but likely inevitable start of Pink Floyd's music/lyrical and album themes being more a vehicle for Roger Waters ideas and feelings towards organized religion, ruthless unfettered capitalism, morally vacant and disreputable yet "holier-than-thou" moral crusaders who are in actuality the worst type of hypocrites possible.

Roger Waters probably would be the first to say Animals wasn't his best, most creative PF album in terms of his lyrical contribution, overall socio-political themes and commentary at least compared to the Wall, to a lesser extent The Final Cit and some of his later solo albums, the characters, songs, and images are somewhat crude in how their portrayed and expressed, by comparison.

I mostly agree with above. Back when I was a decent guitar player, my friend (who was actually good) and I figured out all of Dogs but we could never get the exact guitar sound right on the leads, Gilmore had some effect or trick we couldn't emulate. As much as we played and listened to it over and over, I still love it just as much, it is an intense, emotional commentary on what Rogers viewed as a nightmare of possibility (if that makes sense)....

Alanis Morisette- Jagged Little Pill
Boys II Men - II
Michael Jackson- Thriller
Fleetwood Mack - Rumours

Um.. One of these does not belong with the others... I’ll give you a hint, it’s the one by ALANIS FREAKING MORISETTE.

We’re all entitled to our opinions and everything, but come on man.

The perfect hip hop/rap album is a little bit elusive. I'm going to list a few that I think are really strong and deserve consideration:

Here is my top 5. A little bit of bias...but I think that these are all phenomenal albums from top to bottom.

- 2pac "All Eyez on Me"
- Notorious BIG "Ready to Die"
- Jay Z "The Blueprint"
- Enimem "Marshall Mathers LP"
- Twista "Kamikaze"

Honestly, I'm not a big Kanye or P Diddy fan...but there's no denying that these were among the most well rounded albums ever. There was HIT AFTER HIT on these two albums, and that is something that is incredibly rare in a hip hop album.
- Kanye West "The College Dropout"
- Puff Daddy & the Family "No Way Out'

I don't think that it is hip hop/Rap, but if you choose to fit it there...then I think that Black Eyed Pea's "The E.N.D." probably deserves to be somewhere on the list. Not a big fan, but no denying that they monopolized the charts for about a year or two with the release of that album.

The perfect hip hop/rap album is a little bit elusive. I'm going to list a few that I think are really strong and deserve consideration:

Here is my top 5. A little bit of bias...but I think that these are all phenomenal albums from top to bottom.

- 2pac "All Eyez on Me"
- Notorious BIG "Ready to Die"
- Jay Z "The Blueprint"
- Enimem "Marshall Mathers LP"
- Twista "Kamikaze"

Honestly, I'm not a big Kanye or P Diddy fan...but there's no denying that these were among the most well rounded albums ever. There was HIT AFTER HIT on these two albums, and that is something that is incredibly rare in a hip hop album.
- Kanye West "The College Dropout"
- Puff Daddy & the Family "No Way Out'

I don't think that it is hip hop/Rap, but if you choose to fit it there...then I think that Black Eyed Pea's "The E.N.D." probably deserves to be somewhere on the list. Not a big fan, but no denying that they monopolized the charts for about a year or two with the release of that album.
Problem for most 90s (into aughts) hip hop albums is that to be perfect, their skits/interludes needs to be perfect as well
It lets albums like De La Soul is Dead and College Dropout rise above Miseducation or Amerikkkas Most Wanted

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

It's a concept album with an overarching story, powerful lyrics, excellent musicianship.

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Liz Phair Exile in Guyville
I see Joshua Tree and Purple Rain have gotten their due
I’m a bit of a parrot head, so I could list a few of Jimmy Buffet’s albums from the ‘70s
I'll add Dire Straits' Love Over Gold as well. Any album where the title tells you upfront that the group has chosen art over money has my vote. I bought this album almost 40 years ago and still listen to it on my turntable with wired headphones. Beautiful....

Last edited:
Soundgarden badmotorfinger and superunkown are both raging rockers start to finish.

I remember a pretty good band called Crack the Sky....I've heard of Mastodon but haven't heard any of their stuff, will check it out....
Crack the Sky was one of the best bands never to make it big. I’ve still got 3 of their albums, and Live Sky is another great live album

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom