Pete Carmichael Jr will be coming back for Revenge (4 Viewers)

Possibly - but working with Nix might be the situation that changes that. Payton and Wilson never seemed like a good fit, making last season an obstacle to get beyond to whatever the future of the Broncos was going to be. Now his QB is in place and we will see what that means for Payton.

I'm not particularly high on Nix. But, maybe he will turn into a good NFL QB. But, I doubt he will be that in his rookie season while trying to learn a Sean Payton offense. It even took Brees who was an experienced NFL QB at the time a bit of time to get it right. I don't see Nix showing up out of the Oregon offense and suddenly being a great player.

I also tend to think that Sean lost some of his fire and isn't quite as obsessed with doing the job as he once was before he took a year long break. He seems to be trying to recreate what he did in New Orleans down to bringing in the same staff and players when he can. He had a magical synergy here and I'm not sure that can be recreated in Denver. But, he appears to be trying to do it.

Of course, I'm just a fan so I could be way off.

Possibly - but working with Nix might be the situation that changes that. Payton and Wilson never seemed like a good fit, making last season an obstacle to get beyond to whatever the future of the Broncos was going to be. Now his QB is in place and we will see what that means for Payton.
Agreed. If Nix is actually any good. We'll see I guess.

I'm not particularly high on Nix. But, maybe he will turn into a good NFL QB. But, I doubt he will be that in his rookie season while trying to learn a Sean Payton offense. It even took Brees who was an experienced NFL QB at the time a bit of time to get it right. I don't see Nix showing up out of the Oregon offense and suddenly being a great player.

I also tend to think that Sean lost some of his fire and isn't quite as obsessed with doing the job as he once was before he took a year long break. He seems to be trying to recreate what he did in New Orleans down to bringing in the same staff and players when he can. He had a magical synergy here and I'm not sure that can be recreated in Denver. But, he appears to be trying to do it.

I’m not much of a Nix fan either but Payton was reportedly really impressed after the workout. Mostly I’m saying Payton has his QB now and will sink or swim with the selection (unless another QB comes out of nowhere).

That's my take as well.

I’m not much of a Nix fan either but Payton was reportedly really impressed after the workout. Mostly I’m saying Payton has his QB now and will sink or swim with the selection (unless another QB comes out of nowhere).

That's fair. Payton has an interesting history with QBs. It's hard to know if he knew Brees would be great or if he just lucked into him. He was apparently right about Mahomes, but he appears to have been wrong about Sean Canfield, Garrette Grayson, Tommy Stevens, and Ian Book. He was also arguably wrong about Taysom Hill to the extent he thought he would be a starting NFL QB.

Sean seems to have a talent for developing QBs Romo, Brees, O'Sullivan, but not so much at picking them out. Although arguably, Winston may not have really gotten better with Payton.

That's fair. Payton has an interesting history with QBs. It's hard to know if he knew Brees would be great or if he just lucked into him. He was apparently right about Mahomes, but he appears to have been wrong about Sean Canfield, Garrette Grayson, Tommy Stevens, and Ian Book. He was also arguably wrong about Taysom Hill to the extent he thought he would be a starting NFL QB.

Sean seems to have a talent for developing QBs Romo, Brees, O'Sullivan, but not so much at picking them out. Although arguably, Winston may not have really gotten better with Payton.

I think it's actually the other way around. If he has a good QB, he's good at adapting the offense around the QB's strengths. But other than Romo, none of the other QBs Payton drafted ever really developed under Payton.

I would think that Koobs has the Denver game circled just as much, with the family history there, and matching up against Payton.

Also, Derek Carr is 11-6 in his career against the Broncos.

Remember that Pete first hem hawed about even taking the OC job ... I'm guessing he might have wanted to be head coach with DA remaining as defensive coordinator ... I don't think he'll come in with an attitude .... CSP will just because ... well, he's CSP and will be looking to try and "prove" he was right for deciding to move on (I personally think he was wrong) ... Hopefully DA will see it as a chance of "redemption" after going through what is a tough six-week stretch including three divisional games to start the season. I'm feeling good about the offensive coaching staff changes, so we shall see, but I don't see PC coming in with an attitude. CSP will simply because that's who he is, good or bad (both in my mind)

I think it's actually the other way around. If he has a good QB, he's good at adapting the offense around the QB's strengths. But other than Romo, none of the other QBs Payton drafted ever really developed under Payton.

Could be. The question always arises whether Brees made Payton, Payton made Brees, or they helped make each other better. I tend to think that they both made each other better because Brees had the talent and Payton knew how to build around that talent. I think he probably had a big hand in developing Romo, but I'm not sure he has really "developed" other QBs at this point. Then again, coaching can only do so much unless the guy has the talent.

Why the heck didn't he take him with when he left?
Because he sat out a year waiting for another offer ... I wish PC would have just sat out that year along with CSP, or just left last year after the Broncos hired Payton

Why the heck didn't he take him with when he left?

Word is that Pete did not want to move his family after all these years in New Orleans. He had been offered OC interviews over the years but always turned them down because he was happy here and happy in the situation he was in.

He basically just wanted a job on DAs staff so he could keep his family here. And, I don't think it's that he didn't want the OC job, it's that DA wanted another OC and Pete was willing to wait around in hopes that he could keep his family here. DA tried to get other OCs but could not get the guys he wanted. So he went back to Pete to offer him the OC job. Probably don't want to hire your OC by default. But at least they targeted, went after and got Kubiak this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom