PFT: League source predicts Saints and Panthers to be sanctioned over Tommy Stevens draft negotiations (1 Viewer)

The memo (a copy of which PFT has obtained) contains this message, which is the only passage in the three-page document that appears in bold print, with both underlining and yellow highlighting: “Although a club may inform a player or his agent that the club would be interested in the player’s services if the player is not drafted, no oral or written agreement can be made regarding a player’s future employment.”

Payton’s account of the events that led to the Saints eventually trading back into round seven and drafting Stevens shows that both the Saints and Panthers violated the rules by discussing financial matters and making financial offers to Stevens while the draft was still unfolding. The Panthers committed the more egregious violation by entering into an agreement with Stevens while the draft was still happening.

If they want to make a big deal out of this.... then the Saints should call-out the NFL for failing to prevent the leaking of players who failed drug tests and leaked wonderlic scores - all which the NFL says is confidential information. Who has been punished for failing to keep these leaks from happening? What investigation has occurred? The buck stops with you - commissioner.

the relevant part - from tripp's article

It became my project," said Payton, who said the Saints first offered to match Carolina's offer (a $15,000 signing bonus and $30,000 of Stevens' salary guaranteed).

Then Payton said the Saints tried upping the offer to $144,000 of the salary guaranteed. But Stevens and agent Buddy Baker didn't budge because Stevens wanted to honor his commitment to Carolina.

so that it's abundantly clear- Carolina is the original sinner here

Oh please lord let us win the Super Bowl after all that has happened between Saints/Payton and the NFL over the past 3 years. It would be so sweet to see Goodell hand Payton the trophy, I'd die a happy man.

And Payton is the idoit of the league who can't keep his mouth shut. Thanks Payton. 😂
That “idiot” has a 6-1 record against your squad over the last 3 years and hasn’t lost a meaningful game in that span. If he’s an idiot, then what does that make the team he’s embarrassing every year?

What a dumb move by coach. I guess he didn’t know it was a violation or he’s snubbing his nose at Goodell. Something will happen cause if it’s a violation and nothing happens then everyone will start doing it. Even though I think everyone already does. Look at this past draft, the UDFAs came fast & furious for all teams. I don’t think it will be a big deal, probably just a fine for both teams. The Panthers are going to just hate us even more now since Payton pretty much narced on them. And if we get a second violation then it gets worse

No surprise. Coach can't keep his mouth shut, but I am fine with it. Why not let it be known that you are breaking a rule that everybody else breaks. just to shed even more light on the hypocrites in the league front office. I can't use the words I want in front of his name...that whatever Goodell guy.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. If Stevens doesn’t make the active roster, the Stevens would have cost the Saints a 6th and penalties in return for a gag. Hopefully it was worth it.

The memo (a copy of which PFT has obtained) contains this message, which is the only passage in the three-page document that appears in bold print, with both underlining and yellow highlighting: “Although a club may inform a player or his agent that the club would be interested in the player’s services if the player is not drafted, no oral or written agreement can be made regarding a player’s future employment.”

Payton’s account of the events that led to the Saints eventually trading back into round seven and drafting Stevens shows that both the Saints and Panthers violated the rules by discussing financial matters and making financial offers to Stevens while the draft was still unfolding. The Panthers committed the more egregious violation by entering into an agreement with Stevens while the draft was still happening.

The key word in this is agreement. The Saints never made an agreement while the Panthers did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom