PFT: League source predicts Saints and Panthers to be sanctioned over Tommy Stevens draft negotiations (1 Viewer)

I don’t see how trading up to draft a player that was available cheating. Pretty sure nobody is allowed to talk to UDFA until the draft is over anyway...
We weren't supposed to know Carolina was cheating in having a deal in place for Stevens post draft. So now we are cheaters as well.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

good eye
legal beagles can weigh in

Carolina clearly violated the rule. They had an agreement with Stevens. We apparently made an offer, which turns into an agreement if accepted. Gray area.

And did we couch it speculatively? Perhaps the communication was: 'Please don't immediately sign with Carolina after the draft. We should be in a position to guarantee you twice as much money after the draft. I'll give you a call then.' Is that a violation?

Does the NFL rulebook define "agreement"? Otherwise, it's pretty ambiguous.

So wait, the league honestly thinks that hundreds of players enter into agreements with teams within minutes of the end of the draft without communication prior to the end of the draft? Come on.

So wait, the league honestly thinks that hundreds of players enter into agreements with teams within minutes of the end of the draft without communication prior to the end of the draft? Come on.
Do you honestly think the Saints were the only team with a pay for play/bounty/whatever you want to call it in the NFL?

These are the type of things that happen when Payton constantly pokes the bear.
Definitely. He’s a double edge sword with ego tgat writes a lot of checks that have to be cashed.
It’s going to be hard to win another Super Bowl between the leagues bias to stock it to Payton and his tendencies to let hubris take over in key games.

Yeah everyone does. Just not everyone brags about it. It's like Gronk "joking" about getting the TB playbook before trade went through. Some times these coaches and players need to keep a lid on it. Then we can all believe all the teams follow the rules to the T and Goodell has no reason to make a call.

Well all the teams but the Patriots.

Last edited:
The league wants to make the draft interesting and fun with potential blockbuster trades and maneuvering but when it happens and the Saints are involved they want blood.

Yeah everyone does. Just not everyone brags about it. It's like Gronk "joking" about getting the TB playbook before trade went through. Some times these coaches and players need to keep a lid on it. Then we can all believe all the teams follow the rules to the T and Goodell has no reason to make a call.

Well all the teams but the Patriots.
And what do you think will happen to Gronk or the Bucs? All he had to say was that he was joking.

And what do you think will happen to Gronk or the Bucs? All he had to say was that he was joking.

I doubt anything will happen to Gronk or the Bucs. Harder for Saints or Panthers to say they were just joking.

lmao, every single team does this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Saints get slapped for it.

We didn’t try to make a deal and couldn’t be in a bidding war b/c Carolina already had a deal in place during the draft which is illegal. We simply told him we wanted to sign him if he went undrafted and he said he already had a deal in place. So we drafted him, which is legal. Goodell’s office is a joke...

The fact is we did try to make a deal and would of if Stevens would of listened. The problem is that the league has proof from admitted statements. Knowing Goodell will more then likely hit is with a third round conditional pick because it’s the first we would of gotten in a long while and the sixth will be removed due to the Winston fiasco. Meanwhile the Panthers will only get hit with. Fourth round pick.

‘Last time I called you, I was asking you to come to New Orleans, but this time I’m not giving you the choice. We’re going to trade up in the draft, and we’re going to take you,’ ”

That’s Stone Cold Payton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom