Poll: Best 80's One Hit Wonder (2 Viewers)

Best 1980's One Hit Wonder

• The The (This is the Day)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alphaville (Forever Young)

• Ultravox (Vienna)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Dexy's Midnight Runners (Come on Eileen)

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Bonnie Tyler (Total Eclipse of the Heart)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Nina (99 Red Balloons)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Peter Schilling (Major Tom)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • When in Rome (The Promise)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Kon Kan (I beg Your Pardon)

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
Bonnie Tyler had several successful songs, most notably "I'm Holding Out For a Hero" and A-Ha is a supergroup in Europe. They were only a one hit wonder here in the states.

Yeah, forgot about Hero. I think most or all of the groups in the poll were supergroups in Europe. I think the question has to imply popularity in the States.

Autograph: Turn Up The Radio - one of the coolest guitar solos ever, not so much because of its complexity, but more because of its absolute perfection

Thomas Dolby: She Blinded Me With Science - science! Nerdy pop rock reigns, albeit briefly.

Men Without Hats: Safety Dance - I remember this goofy video with all the midgets. Fun tune.

Buggles: Video Killed The Radio Star - first video ever played on MTV, and a seminal 80's tune

Timex Social Club: Rumours - this freaking song was all over the airwaves in mid-'86. And everyone knew that one about Tina or Gina or Nina (or whatever the chick's name was).

Kim Wylde: Set Me Free - cover version of the Supremes' huge hit. Cute, but a flash in the pan for a career.

Quarterflash: Harden My Heart - Rindy Ross + saxophone = sexy. Sultry tune.

The Dream Academy: Life In A Northern Town - more of an MTV phenomenon than anything else, but most of the girls I knew dug this tune.

Taco: Puttin' On The Ritz - I personally hated this song with a passion, but there's no denying its ubiquitousness.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Relax - When you wanna..... (what did he just say???)

Murray Head: One Night In Bangkok - I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine! Everything you want in a show, and Yul Brenner! Yay!

I could go on for days. These should help dredge up some of your respective memories, though.

Elecric Avenue by Eddie Grant.
Mickey by Toni Basil
When I'm with you by Sheriff
Into the Night by Benny Mardones
Harden my heart by quarterflash
Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry- journey
Wait by White Lion

I don't know I have a soft spot for oh sherri. It reminds me of being a kid at the roller skating rink.

I hear you. we must have been roller skating at around the same era. Embarassingly, I would have been 2 years older than you and still doing that. I also forgot a genuine contender: Erasure - A little Respect.

I know you didnt just call steve perry a one hit wonder. he has had more solo hit than I can count on one hand.

I know you didnt just call steve perry a one hit wonder. he has had more solo hit than I can count on one hand.

White Lion as well. I think "When the Children Cry" was a bigger hit than "Wait". "Pride" may have been also.

Two words... Whip It

BUZZ. Devo also had hits with "Girl You Want" and "Freedom of Choice". NOt to mention their first hit, a remake of the Stones' "Satisfaction".

Was (not Was): Walk the Dinosaur.

The DBs: A Spy in the House of Love (which was actually written by the guys who were Was (not Was).

Former 10cc frontman Donnie Iris scored with "Ah! Leah!" in 1980 or 81, then promptly fell off the face of the earth. It was a cool tune with some interesting vocal and guitar work.

Then there were two cousins:
Rocky Burnette (son of Johnny Burnette): Tired of Toein' the Line (I HATED that song, bubblegum pop sold off as 'Rockabilly')
Billy Burnette: In Just a Heartbeat (kind of liked this tune, though it was just yet another rip-off of the "Bo-Diddly" tune just like Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy")

Also,
Right Said Fred: I'm Too Sexy (one of the funniest videos of the 80s)

Last edited:
The DBs: A Spy in the House of Love (which was actually written by the guys who were Was (not Was).

Dude, you can't mention The dB's w/o mentioning "Amplifier".

and that Donnie Iris Album rocked. I REALLY need to get my turntable hooked up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom