reasons not to draft leonard fournette (1 Viewer)

I agree with just about everything you said, but I believe defense wins Championships (for the most part)
But having a running back or two that can wear out a defense in the 4th quarter is pretty important too.

Why can't we have both?
This article is a bit dated but it makes a prettt good argument that the saying defenses win championships is overblown.

Does Defense Really Win Championships? - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Good teams win championships.

I'd like to discuss it further when im not at work and busy.

i feel u. Id trade back and target an Alvin Kamara and Evan Engram. Defense still needs help tho bro. however 99% chance in non armchair GM world you take Fournette. Hands down

Have you missed all of my posts ranting about needing defensive prospects?

Im just not unreasonable or irrational enough to make an argument for reaching for a defensive player over a potential offensive star. Such an argument would be akin to saying that Fournette is the only player worth drafting in the first round.

It's equally ridiculous, man.

This article is a bit dated but it makes a prettt good argument that the saying defenses win championships is overblown.

Does Defense Really Win Championships? - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Good teams win championships.

I'd like to discuss it further when im not at work and busy.

The #1 scoring offense has met the #1 scoring defense 9 times in the Super Bowl since the games inception in 1967. The #1 defense is 8-1
during these matchups. The only exception was 1989. The Niners won, but also had the 3rd ranked defense. Defense wins championships.
Don't kid yourself and believe otherwise.

sorry, but no. He was clocked at 22.9 mph on a 76 yd td run against a SEC defense. I don't care if you play for Harvard or Slippery Rock,you
are going to be very high on NFL draft boards.

No one's draft board at pick 11. Should've been more specific. LF is one of the best RB prospects in the last 5 years or so, so of course he's high up everyone else's draft boards. But if he wasn't an LSU guy, no one here would be dying for him like they are. He's not a need, plain and simple. I would argue that he wouldn't be BPA, but even if he is, he's not someone that would help the Saints win more games. There's at least 20 first round caliber defensive guys that would.

No one's draft board at pick 11. Should've been more specific. LF is one of the best RB prospects in the last 5 years or so, so of course he's high up everyone else's draft boards. But if he wasn't an LSU guy, no one here would be dying for him like they are. He's not a need, plain and simple. I would argue that he wouldn't be BPA, but even if he is, he's not someone that would help the Saints win more games. There's at least 20 first round caliber defensive guys that would.

I don't believe that at all. If Adrian Peterson was in this draft, I'm sure most of the same people would be saying the same things. I would and I'm far from being a Texas fan.

Belichick has figured out you can't really know what you are getting in the draft. So he trades down and compiles picks and trusts more in the math. He can do this because so many other teams are still under the illusion that they can 'know' and because he has the best coached program.

All this said - I think if Belichick was ever picking this high in the talent pool he would absolutely take a player. I highly doubt that player would be a running back.

How many on this forum wanted Elliot last year? Equally as talented an RB prospect and not an LSU alum. I don't remember a single thread.

Just told my friend that is a die hard Colts fan that Louisianians want Fournette in the 1st round. His response: "Lololol"

The difference is that Elliott played in a shotgun and pistol offense which was a knock I had on him last year. It was hard to project him having such early success out of a pro set. I was also too wrapped up in Paxton Lynch and William Jackson to notice or even consider him. Fournette played in a pro style offense

The same goes for Michael Thomas. OSU did not showcase his best nfl attributes in their offense. How many Michael Thomas threads were there? Get the point. I for one hated Thomas because but had no idea he could be so successful catching back shoulder passes. He just didn't show it at OHio state.

The #1 scoring offense has met the #1 scoring defense 9 times in the Super Bowl since the games inception in 1967. The #1 defense is 8-1
during these matchups. The only exception was 1989. The Niners won, but also had the 3rd ranked defense. Defense wins championships.
Don't kid yourself and believe otherwise.

But top 5 offenses have also won 30 + sbs iirc.

I will check these articles out later.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/06/does-defense-really-win-championships

Belichick has figured out you can't really know what you are getting in the draft. So he trades down and compiles picks and trusts more in the math. He can do this because so many other teams are still under the illusion that they can 'know' and because he has the best coached program.

All this said - I think if Belichick was ever picking this high in the talent pool he would absolutely take a player. I highly doubt that player would be a running back.

That and they have a team full of excellent coaches. Something Sean has started to build over the last 2 seasons.

The Pats are the best team in the NFL at coaching up talent across the board.
So they acquire a ton of picks, draft a ton of players each year and coach them to their peak ability and let their higher priced players leave in free agency.

It's crazy how successful they have been in so many areas.

That's because of this:

aTiz2vH.png

Defense has been, and continues to be a major issue.

Just to clarify, that is Total Yards and Points Per Game.

Oh no doubt that's been a problem area for us since Sean has been head coach. Just pointing to the fact that picking defense in the 1st round hasn't helped us, the problem has actually gotten progressively worse.

Most of that has to do with having different defensive systems over a large period of time and drafting different players for different systems.

Oh no doubt that's been a problem area for us since Sean has been head coach. Just pointing to the fact that picking defense in the 1st round hasn't helped us, the problem has actually gotten progressively worse.

Most of that has to do with having different defensive systems over a large period of time and drafting different players for different systems.

No doubt in my mind. Revolving door at DC with position coaches who can't properly evaluate talent and extremely suspect scouting has put us where we are now.

Things like Stanley Jean Baptiste... :covri:

Things like drafting Kikaha, who led the NCAA in sacks his senior year, and dropping him back in pass coverage... :jpshakehead:

This is the most optimistic I've been about the defense since Gregg Williams was brought in. We've got a DC that Payton trusts in Dennis Allen, we've got proven Secondary and Linebacker coaches, and a promising up and comer to coach the Defensive Line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom