Report: Saints aren’t paying their fair share of payments for Superdome renovations (Update: Saints paid up!) (3 Viewers)

The can of worms are wide open.

They won’t relocate a team that encroaches on another territory.
They allowed the Ravens to move in Redskins territory.

Salt Lake City would bend over backwards for an NFL team. I don't buy the argument that Salt lake would not pursue a team because they already have the Broncos. That didn't stop them from pursuing the Jazz. Denver is 500 miles away.

Salt Lake has the economy and the the population to support a team and they are a threat to NOLA.

They allowed the Ravens to move in Redskins territory.

Salt Lake City would bend over backwards for an NFL team. I don't buy the argument that Salt lake would not pursue a team because they already have the Broncos. That didn't stop them from pursuing the Jazz. Denver is 500 miles away.

Salt Lake has the economy and the the population to support a team and they are a threat to NOLA.
Baltimore was already an established NFL market. There was less than a 15 year wait between the Colts and Ravens.

And SLC’s population is on par with NOLA. Even the state population of Utah is lower than Louisiana.

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like it happened all that long ago (2005 was only a couple of years ago to me).

I’m pretty sure that within the next 10 year the gap between Katy, Texas and San Antonio will be nonexistent, making Houston and San Antonio one massive metropolis.

My wife and I made the drive down to San Antonio this weekend. There aren’t a lot of gaps in the sprawl between there and Austin.

For people who haven’t been here to experience it, they might not fully appreciate how much and how quickly growth is taking place.

Geez, guys. This is just a contract issue. No one has said ANYTHING about relocation except posters in here.

Why? Not enough drama as it is?

For what it’s worth, I was disagreeing with a comment that there aren’t any other viable markets in the U.S. Even if that’s true now, it likely won’t be the case far out into the future.

I’m not making the case that the Saints should or will move (hoping that never happens).

Baltimore was already an established NFL market. There was less than a 15 year wait between the Colts and Ravens.

And SLC’s population is on par with NOLA. Even the state population of Utah is lower than Louisiana.

New Orleans is a relatively smaller media market and smaller population center, ranking in the 50s in both categories. I think you’re being really selective about when population matters and when it doesn’t.

I’m not pointing that out because I’m worried the Saints might relocate anytime soon, but rather to point out there are a number of markets potentially as well-positioned to support a team now or in the future. That could be to accommodate future expansion, or as target cities for teams where voters are balking at stadium proposals. Leverage, if nothing else. The Saints look to be in a good position long term - assuming issues with LSED get ironed out, and I expect they will.

Geez, guys. This is just a contract issue. No one has said ANYTHING about relocation except posters in here.

Why? Not enough drama as it is?
I don't think they'll move but I'm guilty of just making a factual statement that if they did I'd be done. So it's my fault. And I don't do drama, it's a message board about the Saints, it's the offseason, and this is an issue that could absolutely snowball if not handled properly by both parties.

Why wouldn’t the Saints play that card? Ticket sales are down, fans were booing before mid season and you can’t get to the game without crawling over passed out homeless people. We act like there aren’t 10 markets bigger than New Orleans who would love to have a team. Gayle has the cards. Glad to see she has the gumption too.

Sounds like the Saints are questioning how the money was spent. In our business we have been asked for documents to back stuff up before we are given payments. It’s common and if it was asked for in December and the saints kept paying in good faith then after 5 months I would no longer pay until I received the documentation I asked for. This is typical business
Note how the “and for the city” is in bold. If the state and LSED screw up a Super Bowl, this team is gone.

Why wouldn’t the Saints play that card? Ticket sales are down, fans were booing before mid season and you can’t get to the game without crawling over passed out homeless people. We act like there aren’t 10 markets bigger than New Orleans who would love to have a team. Gayle has the cards. Glad to see she has the gumption too.
But there is a tendency in this fanbase to throw the relocation card whenever something from the business side of the franchise has come up.
No one has mentioned relocation.
Not the League.
Not Gayle.
Not the state.

Can you say, “Los Angeles Saints”? :covri:
Los Angeles is no longer the relocation boogey man. Now that there are two teams in LA, the league will more vigorously push the idea of relocation to a non-US area.

Also don’t rule out St. Louis as another area that will get rumblings for a relocating franchise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom