Saints among teams engaging Jets in talks for WR Mike Williams (21 Viewers)

I was against the Davante Adams deal because I though the pick compensation and future cap hits would be a problem for building the team. But, if they can get Williams for a late round pick, 6th or 7th, I can see the value in him as a one year rental to give Spencer Rattler someone to throw to. I think this year is done, but I want to see what Rattler has and if he has nobody to throw to you won't get a fair evaluation and you could ruin him. And the way I read his contract, this is his last year with less than a million left on his deal. He actually has 4 void years at the end of his deal.
In reality, Rattler has tonight and maybe one more game to play this season. Carr is going to get healthy and get his job back. Mike Williams isn't going to make a difference for Rattler.

Would use up some of our potential rollover cap money for 2025, but yeah, the effect here is relatively minimal.
We've been using cap money adjusting the bottom of the roster. Just bringing in Connor McGovern cost us $766k if we keep him on the roster for the rest of the year. Who know how many more times we'll need to do something like that. AT Perry cost us $300k in dead money to cut. With 11 more games left, we're going to need to keep that money for that purpose.

Yep. Shows you how delusional the management is looking to trade any asset for a team that’s sinking rapidly. It’s time for wholesale changes that will never happen.
So...we just go without any receivers and tank? I see how it is.

And I'm not interested in Williams. He's not gonna add much.

We've been using cap money adjusting the bottom of the roster. Just bringing in Connor McGovern cost us $766k if we keep him on the roster for the rest of the year. Who know how many more times we'll need to do something like that. AT Perry cost us $300k in dead money to cut. With 11 more games left, we're going to need to keep that money for that purpose.

Team seems to think otherwise. As I always preach, you have years of cap space available to operate with; surely they can make a move or two to add a little more if necessary to grab more “JAG” type guys.

Yes, we’re cooked if Mike Williams even resembles an answer to our problems. Why waste picks for some a player like him. Even a 7th is too much.

That's fair. I honestly haven't watched Williams play recently. If he's cooked I don't see the point, but someone like that to give Rattler a solid vet target that doesn't cost much in terms of draft pick or money compensation could make some sense. As it is now, I'm not sure you can get a proper evaluation of him when you are likely going to be without your top 2 WRs for several weeks if not the rest of the season.

I don't understand why the Saints would do this. Until they get their injuries under control and get a decent blocking o line, it's not going to matter. It's just lipstick on a pig.
they have no one but kamara to catch the ball tonight. thats one reason. if broncos play the run and have someone on kamara all game, its over. zero faith anyone else can beat them with no olave, shaheed and hill. its just too much.

with that said, still wouldnt have williams tonight anyway. just tank.

Team seems to think otherwise. As I always preach, you have years of cap space available to operate with; surely they can make a move or two to add a little more if necessary to grab more “JAG” type guys.
If Loomis is willing to restructure another player and trade a pick just to fit Mike Williams, who has 29 catches and 1 TD over the last season and a half, on the roster then Loomis needs to be locked in an office with no phone and no fax machine.

He wouldn't use up any cap space. He's a free agent after this year.
My comment was based upon the fact that i originally saw he was on a 1 yr 5 mill deal. I'm not sure what our prorated remainder salary cap charge would be in a trade. Looks like he's got a strange deal with numerous void years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom