Saints are really lacking talent (27 Viewers)

bad coached but also badly managed team
fire the guys responsible for destroying this franchise
I'll give you the coaching concern, but management is the only thing that can get us out of this, the plan was for a soft rebuild and that is a good plan, but poor drafting makes our roster look barren because we have no young guys that can step up or have the baton passed to.

Its lack of talent... I'm looking at the Lions roster with so much envy. Those guys are STACKED from top to bottom. They have some free agents sprinkled in their roster but for the most part their roster was built through the draft. They have drafted really well, and their coaches have developed them into really good and productive players. We can't say the same for the roster the Saints are throwing on the field.

Mediocre QB at best
Good running back (singular)
Zero TEs
decent duo at WR
couple Olinemen that was star-worthy but as a whole... mediocre at best oline

Defensively we have a bad-to-poor dline as a group. Bresee is a stud.
LB corps is mediocre at best
CBs are good... one guy is too grabby though
safeties are poor as a group

That roster won't contend for a super bowl... and if super bowls aren't the goal, then we need to clean house and start over (which I've been wanting to do since Drew retired).

I can't not blame the coaches for this too but they don't have much talent to work with. Whole staff needs to go. I would however like to see what Kubiak would do with some semblance of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Give me Kubiak with a DC like Jim Schwartz, and arm this team with studs on both sides like Detroit... we'd be scary.

I'm ok with guys getting beat by superior talent. That is going to happen. I'm not ok with the mental mistakes, not playing as a team, lack of individual effort, and lack of pride. Those are what we're seeing. The only fire I see from this team on the field comes during the pregame speech.

It’s stood out how much more dynamic the Falcons and Buccaneers look, especially depth at RB.
Yeah, we’ve drafted really poorly.

People are going to point to the cap issues. But most of these players on other teams who are standing out were originally drafted by those teams. And it’s not like we’ve let a lot of players walk who are shining in other spots other than T-Rex.

Pretty much the title.

Yes we are injured but if you look at this roster from a non biased POV you'll notice we just lack the top end talent to compete.

We have maybe 4 "good" players? 2 being Pro Bowl level?

Not enough to compete week in and week out.

We don't have great talent and we lack depth, but the first two weeks tell you that if they are properly coached and properly motivated, this group of players can be a good football team. Certainly not as good through a season as they looked the first two weeks, but they have the talent to be much better than they are right now.

This. Drew masked a TON of deficiencies with this team.

He certainly masked a sub-par OL with his ability to move in the pocket and sense pressure. And he made up for mediocre WRs.

And that's why this team has to keep churning QBs until they find a top 5 to top 10 guy. It's really the most important thing you need to win consistently in the NFL. Once you have that, you build around it. Until then you are only treading water hoping not to drown.

I'm ok with guys getting beat by superior talent. That is going to happen. I'm not ok with the mental mistakes, not playing as a team, lack of individual effort, and lack of pride. Those are what we're seeing. The only fire I see from this team on the field comes during the pregame speech.

Right. I noted above that the most important thing you need to win consistently in the NFL is a top 5 to top 10 starting QB. The second most important thing you need is a very good head coach. It's the other common denominator for good to great NFL teams. You need a head coach to motivate, be the leader of the franchise, and to be the guy really making the final decision on the right players to draft, sign, and keep/cut. He also needs to either be great on one side of the ball or be great at picking coordinators.

The most important role of a GM is to give the head coach the money he needs and freedom he needs to get the players he wants/needs. That and to fire that head coach if he isn't getting it done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom