Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (64 Viewers)

Would Davante rather play for a younger quarterback in Derek Carr? Or an older quarterback in Aaron Rodgers?

“Then after the season he’ll either restructure his 2025 salary or get an extension to bring down the 2025 cap hit. He could agree to a new contract when a trade happens”

The first option is a no. That is how you get stuck with 35M on IR and part of why LVR is moving on. Any trade deal with us has to involve a new contract the protects the team’s future before comp provided.

Adams has been very durable, and hasn't missed a game since 2020, and I think that absence was only due to Covid protocols. So what makes you believe that suddenly we'd end up with $35m on IR?

I'm not saying those guys are perfect options as #3 and #4, although there was a time that Kamara probably could have been the bets Slot WR in the league, I'm just saying that we do have other options. But, I'm not honestly sure how much a #3 WR would be used given how the read progressions work in this scheme.

Still, this team could certainly use another WR. But, they really haven't much tried to use the other WRs that they do have. Even in 11 it appears that the #3 WR doesn't get many targets. I suspect some of that is based on game plan and how the offense works with straight progression on reads, but maybe some of it is lack of talent at WR and Adams is a better and more complete WR than Shaheed.

It just comes down to the present and future cost to me.
If the Saints get Adams, I think thats a sign that they intend to run more 3WR sets or plan to target 3 WRs more often. We’ve been successful with using only 2 WRs most of the time since Olave and Shaheed are very effective and there’s the best satellite back in the league in the backfield.

It seems they’ve been making the most out of the personnel that they have or what they know can be successful for the time being. But over the course of the 17 game season, we’ll need a 3rd highly reliable WR in order to sustain wins and beat good teams in crucial moments. It’s difficult to see them heavily rely on 2 WRs for the entire season. At some point Tipton and Perry should be more involved, but it doesn’t seem like they’re at that point yet. Perry may not ever gain a role in this offense.

Seems too blockbuster for the Saints to pull this off

Plus, Raiders isn't a franchise that do deals that make sense

I guess overall I am just not understanding the narrative (or perhaps mental block) with a select few posters that this team isn't in or at least very-near title contention territory.

We have one of the best running games in football currently and one of the best defenses, along with an efficient passer...those three things alone at least make you a threat.

I get it we are injured and need to get healthy, but I am really perplexed as to how a team that was 2-0 and riding high, scoring at will, is suddenly not a contender after two very close, injury-ravaged losses. Is it because of Dennis Allen? Is it because people can't envision us winning with Derek Carr?

We are merely relying on McCoy, Ruiz, and Davis getting healthy to return to form, and if you add a Davante Adams to that mix, we suddenly become extremely dangerous. The 49ers are having an injury-riddled season, and are beatable. Who exactly in the NFC is far and away better than us, and in this context, who exactly in the NFC is far and away better than us with a healthy McCoy, Ruiz, Davis, and a Davante Adams added?

Draft capital is important but at the same time, I am not going to fret giving up a second or a third, especially knowing how hit or super miss our drafts have been as of late. That single draft pick isn't guaranteed to even be used on the positions being pointed out as current needs, and even if it is, it isn't guaranteed to be the immediate answer.

I will also add that I am just not understanding what "State of the roster" some are looking for us to achieve in order to be a title contender or to merely be worthy of being a player in a Davante Adams sweepstakes. Most Super Bowl rosters have weaknesses, but it seems like many are looking for a near flawless, all-star laden 15-2 level roster before finally believing we can do these sorts of things.

I guess I'm just not understanding the narrative or perhaps mental block with a select few posters that see this as a roster that is close to contending for a Super Bowl or that it's a roster that is one good WR from contending. The overall weakness of the NFC gives everyone some sort of chance, but this team has a 2-2 record and until it shows otherwise they are what their record says the are. And I don't think Adams would have changed the outcome of the Philly or Atlanta game.

I think we have issues on the starting OL and that our depth there is bad. In addition, I don't think we have enough pass rushers. Granderson and Young have been good in all but the Atlanta game but neither has shown to be elite or been able to make the big play to close out a game. Moreover, we don't have any effective depth behind them. Cam looks to be done and Turner flashes every now and then but is not enough.

We are also one Alvin Kamara injury away from not really having a running game and Kamara is already playing with broken ribs. Hill is a good backup plan, but he too is hurt and likely has broken ribs. We also don't really have an effective TE.

So, I think we are paper thin all over the roster and there are already holes in that paper in the interior OL. Which to me isn't a team with a real shot to be a contender. Most Super Bowl contenders do have flawed rosters but it's usually not at OL and Pass Rusher. DA and Kubiak are doing a very good job scheming around the holes in the roster but those holes are still there and will need to be fixed in the future.

But I didn't say they shouldn't look at a trade for Adams, I just think they need to make sure that they don't give up too much draft capital or blow up the future cap because we have many needs all over this roster next year and in future years.

Seems too blockbuster for the Saints to pull this off

Plus, Raiders isn't a franchise that do deals that make sense

This I agree with. This would definitely be outside of our norm. We don't usually swing for big time guys like this, at least not while they're still big time, and certainly not in the form of a "hot mid-season trade that the whole world will be talking about" sense.

I disagree.

Carr LOVES throwing jump balls to Adams, and Adams gets them

They didn't have a very good oline in oakland and Adams lead the league in TDs.

You can't base a title contending offense on jump balls. Well, maybe if you have Randy Moss or Calving Johnson, but even then, it's not a great plan.

Solid reasons to either get him or not get him, but the trajectory is belt-tightening, not back to all-in. Plus I think if Aaron needs a buddy and with Saleh desperate, he should go there. Adams and G. Wilson make a nice pair. Or go hook up with the stud, Jayden Daniels.

So, I think we are paper thin all over the roster and there are already holes in that paper in the interior OL. Which to me isn't a team with a real shot to be a contender. Most Super Bowl contenders do have flawed rosters but it's usually not at OL and Pass Rusher. DA and Kubiak are doing a very good job scheming around the holes in the roster but those holes are still there and will need to be fixed in the future.

When everyone keeps telling me the salary cap situation isn't a problem... but I keep looking at the oldest team in the league with no depth... then back at them...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom