Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (59 Viewers)

Adams has to redo the future 35M/yr deal. Remember when an aging WR caught the injury bug and we couldn’t move on from his 19M/yr?
It seems almost certain that Adams will rework his contract to facilitate a trade according to reports. Adams has a lot more successful seasons, and overall NFL seasons, under his belt than to remind us of MT. He’s worth every penny of his salary as a reliable WR1 but I think he’ll cut his cap hit down. He wants out of Vegas that much.

It's the wrong data. We had 30 rushes against Atlanta if you take out Carr's credited rushes.
oh, i feel better now. I just charted Kubiak SR w/ Shaub vs the Saints (Brees) from 2011. To me, that game is the best of the Kubiak plan vs the best of Payton/Pete Carmichaels. The game ended 40- 33. Drew Brees wins because he's just better than Shaub. In that game Gary Kubiak 35/24 (pass/run) to Sean Payton 44/17. So if you have Brees, just throw it to win. If you dont, and have Carr/Shaub instead, then have a slightly pass leaning balanced attack.

Sounds like a good deal if Vegas will eat the majority of his remaining contract and take a 3rd day pick.

They'll trade him whereever they can get the best deal. AFC vs NFC does not matter. By the time the Raiders are ready to compete again, Adams will likely be retired or ineffective.
I do agree that the coach is building and wanting to make an example of DA by trading him which ultimately says, "you're either bought in, or you're out". However, an intern coach getting promoted is a coach on a short leash. If they hired Harbaugh, then maybe he'd have 3 years to build. IMO, Pierce cant afford to have two straight losing seasons. How bad would it look for him to have the Chiefs knock them out of their playoff run, with DAdams catching 4 TDs. Fans would lose it.

I do agree that the coach is building and wanting to make an example of DA by trading him which ultimately says, "you're either bought in, or you're out". However, an intern coach getting promoted is a coach on a short leash. If they hired Harbaugh, then maybe he'd have 3 years to build. IMO, Pierce cant afford to have two straight losing seasons. How bad would it look for him to have the Chiefs knock them out of their playoff run, with DAdams catching 4 TDs. Fans would lose it.

If we do trade for Davante Adams we are going to need to come up with different shorthand for him other than DA.

Current odds this morning
Jets +150
Commanders +300
Chiefs +500
Steelers +600
Saints +700
Packers +1000
Cardinals +1000
Ravens +1200
Bills +1200
49ers +1200

It seems almost certain that Adams will rework his contract to facilitate a trade according to reports. Adams has a lot more successful seasons, and overall NFL seasons, under his belt than to remind us of MT. He’s worth every penny of his salary as a reliable WR1 but I think he’ll cut his cap hit down. He wants out of Vegas that much.

He is owed 12.9M salary for the remaining 13 games. I can’t see Adams taking less than Mike Evans at 20M but could want Tyrek Hill 30M for future years.

Adams forces us to extend/restructure older players like Carr, Kamara, Latt, Hill, HB, DD, and not resigning younger Olave, Shaheed, Adebo type guys. A team of retirees in 2026/27 isn’t good long term planning.

He is owed 12.9M salary for the remaining 13 games. I can’t see Adams taking less than Mike Evans at 20M but could want Tyrek Hill 30M for future years.

Adams forces us to extend/restructure older players like Carr, Kamara, Latt, Hill, HB, DD, and not resigning younger Olave, Shaheed, Adebo type guys. A team of retirees in 2026/27 isn’t good long term planning.
Adams won’t have to take an immediate paycut. He’ll restructure his 2024 salary to fit under the team’s 2024 salary cap. Then after the season he’ll either restructure his 2025 salary or get an extension to bring down the 2025 cap hit. He could agree to a new contract when a trade happens.

Agreed on not extending too many older players. But we definitely should extend Kamara. He’s the NFL’s best RB in 2024 and the life force of the offense. I think the Saints were preparing to choose between Lattimore and Adebo in long term cap plans for a while now. Two top 5 CB cap hits didn’t seem likely. That decision could come to a head soon.

Devonte Adams contract has a base salary of $35 million next year and $36 million next year. There is zero chance the Saints or any team is going to take that contract. His guaranteed money ends in 2024. That is why this is happening. The Saints would be idiots to trade for that contract when you need to pay Olave and Shaheed at the same position and we are in the worst cap situation in the league.

1727891397192.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom