Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (66 Viewers)

I guess I'm just not understanding the narrative or perhaps mental block with a select few posters that see this as a roster that is close to contending for a Super Bowl or that it's a roster that is one good WR from contending. The overall weakness of the NFC gives everyone some sort of chance, but this team has a 2-2 record and until it shows otherwise they are what their record says the are. And I don't think Adams would have changed the outcome of the Philly or Atlanta game.

I think we have issues on the starting OL and that our depth there is bad. In addition, I don't think we have enough pass rushers. Granderson and Young have been good in all but the Atlanta game but neither has shown to be elite or been able to make the big play to close out a game. Moreover, we don't have any effective depth behind them. Cam looks to be done and Turner flashes every now and then but is not enough.

We are also one Alvin Kamara injury away from not really having a running game and Kamara is already playing with broken ribs. Hill is a good backup plan, but he too is hurt and likely has broken ribs. We also don't really have an effective TE.

So, I think we are paper thin all over the roster and there are already holes in that paper in the interior OL. Which to me isn't a team with a real shot to be a contender. Most Super Bowl contenders do have flawed rosters but it's usually not at OL and Pass Rusher. DA and Kubiak are doing a very good job scheming around the holes in the roster but those holes are still there and will need to be fixed in the future.

But I didn't say they shouldn't look at a trade for Adams, I just think they need to make sure that they don't give up too much draft capital or blow up the future cap because we have many needs all over this roster next year and in future years.

I bolded the most important part.

If that's true, why not run with it?

But aside from that, could you define what "contending" means to you? Would you agree that we are currently at least contending for the division and that Adams could help with that? And if we can win the division, get into the tournament, do we not have a chance to beat just about anyone in front of us, especially with the big bully on the block, the 49ers, looking like they *may* be falling back to the pack a bit.

Right now, the division leaders are TB, WAS, MIN, SEA....who exactly is far and away the "contender" right now, much less the contender that you can't fathom us competing with with a healthier roster + Devante Adams?

Who is this big contending boogeyman in the NFC we are aspiring to be like before committing to moves like this or who we absolutely cannot beat?

If the Saints get Adams, I think thats a sign that they intend to run more 3WR sets or plan to target 3 WRs more often. We’ve been successful with using only 2 WRs most of the time since Olave and Shaheed are very effective and there’s the best satellite back in the league in the backfield.

It seems they’ve been making the most out of the personnel that they have or what they know can be successful for the time being. But over the course of the 17 game season, we’ll need a 3rd highly reliable WR in order to sustain wins and beat good teams in crucial moments. It’s difficult to see them heavily rely on 2 WRs for the entire season. At some point Tipton and Perry should be more involved, but it doesn’t seem like they’re at that point yet. Perry may not ever gain a role in this offense.

You may be right, but both San Francisco and Miami have pretty much so relied on 2 WRs for several years and been pretty successful at it. The most catches Jennings has had is 35 and that was 3 years ago. Last year he had 21 and the year before he had 19.

This type of thing never tends to work out in our favor.
this- after brees who was the last BIG name FA to come here?
Seems too blockbuster for the Saints to pull this off

Plus, Raiders isn't a franchise that do deals that make sense
In terms of players’ salary, career #s, and reputation, Allen has added Mathieu, Carr, and Chase Young. He’s 3 for 3 in acquiring big name players at the time of the addition so far.

There’s the Deshaun Watson trade saga to kick off Allen’s tenure but Cleveland ridiculously threw away a lifetime worth of assets in salary and picks for him more than anyone should’ve ever done. Not sure if that was solely Allen so fresh into his hire instead of Loomis & Allen equally.

Mathieu chose the Saints over the Eagles. Carr chose the Saints over the Jets. Chase Young chose the Saints over the Titans and Panthers. Adams could be next.

I bolded the most important part.

If that's true, why not run with it?

But aside from that, could you define what "contending" means to you? Would you agree that we are currently at least contending for the division and that Adams could help with that? And if we can win the division, get into the tournament, do we not have a chance to beat just about anyone in front of us, especially with the big bully on the block, the 49ers, looking like they *may* be falling back to the pack a bit.

Right now, the division leaders are TB, WAS, MIN, SEA....who exactly is far and away the "contender" right now, much less the contender that you can't fathom us competing with with a healthier roster + Devante Adams?

Who is this big contending boogeyman in the NFC we are aspiring to be like before committing to moves like this or who we absolutely cannot beat?

Again, I don't have an issue with trading for Adams if the cost isn't too high and doesn't hamstring us for future years. Giving yourself a shot in a weak NFC is one thing, but going all in when you are paper thin across the board is IMO a bad idea.

thats 1 "home town hero returns", and two obvious choices.

In terms of salary and career #s, Allen has added Mathieu, Carr, and Chase Young. He’s 3 for 3 in acquiring big name players at the time of the addition so far.

There’s Deshaun Watson to kick off Allen’s tenure but Cleveland ridiculously threw away a lifetime worth of assets in salary and picks for him more than anyone should’ve ever done.

Mathieu chose the Saints over the Eagles. Carr chose the Saints over the Jets. Chase Young chose the Saints over the Titans and Panthers.
Those are FA, tho. Raiders FO and ownership are such a weirdos on trades. Remember when they shut us down last year?

Mathieu chose the Saints over the Eagles. Carr chose the Saints over the Jets. Chase Young chose the Saints over the Titans and Panthers. Adams could be next.

We are on the same page...but I just wanted to say let's not forget that this is a trade situation, and Adams does not have a no trade clause, so it may not be up to him.

In fact, it is one of my fears...that Vegas will trade him to somewhere like Carolina, just to be petty, especially with the whole Antonio Pierce "post liking" situation in the background of this.

And this year they used a 2nd on Kool-Aid, in 2022 they used a second on Alontae Taylor ,and in 2021 they used a 2nd on Pete Werner and a 3rd on Adebo. One bad year drafting 2nd and 3rd round picks doesn't mean you just start throwing them away.

True, but let me ask you this....at the time of each of those picks, or even today, would you not take Davante Adams over each of those players, singularly? Be honest!

His contract is essentially for this year only and we aren't one player away from making waves in the playoffs even if we were fortunate enough to make it that far. It makes zero sense to give up future assets for a year that we won't be in contention.

True, but let me ask you this....at the time of each of those picks, or even today, would you not take Davante Adams over each of those players, singularly? Be honest!

Werner sure I'd take Adams because I think you can get good value a LB in the draft and we just had to give Werner a new contract. I'm not so sure about Adebo, Kool-Aid, and Taylor. It's a lot harder to find good CBs than good WRs. If it's 32 year-old Adams with a $25 million salary and a $44 million cap hit in 2025 and 2026, I'm keeping Adebo, Kool-Aid, and Taylor. If it's 20 something year- old Adams on a rookie deal or reasonable contract, I take Adams.

That being said, I would send them Adebo for Adams right now because he is in the last year of his contract, we likely aren't going to re-sign him, and we have good depth at CB.

Werner sure I'd take Adams because I think you can get good value a LB in the draft and we just had to give Werner a new contract. I'm not so sure about Adebo, Kool-Aid, and Taylor. It's a lot harder to find good CBs than good WRs. If it's 32 year-old Adams with a $25 million salary and a $44 million cap hit in 2025 and 2026, I'm keeping Adebo, Kool-Aid, and Taylor. If it's 20 something year- old Adams on a rookie deal or reasonable contract, I take Adams.

That being said, I would send them Adebo for Adams right now because he is in the last year of his contract, we likely aren't going to re-sign him, and we have good depth at CB.

Fair enough. I don't agree completely but nothing egregious here. Certainly debatable, given the age and contracts invovled.

His contract is essentially for this year only and we aren't one player away from making waves in the playoffs even if we were fortunate enough to make it that far. It makes zero sense to give up future assets for a year that we won't be in contention.

In your opinion, who is in contention in the NFC?

Just trying to get an understanding from someone of who these great big contenders are we have no chance of overcoming or running with with a potential trump-card piece like Adams added to the fold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom