Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [Raiders trade Adams to Jets for conditional 3rd ; Jets paying Adams’ entire remaining salary] (503 Viewers)

Let’s make this really simple. We no longer have the players that made games 1 and 2 successful as evidenced by games 3 and 4. Solution: Get a player that would allow you to get back to what made you successful. Or continue to have close one score games. D Adams is on a 12 game rental. His last two years are voidable. So if we didnt want him past this year it wouldnt cost us anything. He'd go into free agency, no harm no foul. So by all means rent the guy for the next 12 games and see what happens.
I don’t think it’s realistic to easily score 40+ points every week like the first 2 games. But they still played like a team who can win for the most part in weeks 3 and 4. They had control in both games but their own miscommunication and miscues beat them. Saints are 3-1 if Shaheed simply doesn’t fumble the punt for a TD vs Atlanta. Losing McCoy changed the way the OL protected in the Eagles game but they still had a chance to win at the very end of the game when they were down by just a FG. We had to force the ball downfield in deep throws by not having another intermediate weapon who can consistently pick up first downs at the sticks to preserve the clock.

Protection showed improvement when they were able to scheme the Week 4 OL unit for a full week in practice. But Saints beat themselves vs Atl with turnovers. These weren’t drastic losses in the scoreboard that showed they aren’t a winning team. To me it showed how much they’re dependent on 3 great players to make plays. It could be a faulty formula that affect the game outcomes when those players have to focus on multiple responsibilities on ST & offense. Or if 1 or 2 of them are taken out of the play in key moments and no one else steps up.

True, Adams can’t make the trade himself. But I saw that the Raiders will consider Adams’ desires for his destination. I think that was the reason behind the wish list report from Schefter. Its probably unlikely that they’ll trade him to a team that he won’t report to.

An interesting thought experiment: Would you trade a 3rd round pick in 2022 for Derek Carr after week 4? Winston went down with injuries, Dalton was there, but Carr and his contract are available. But you know he is getting released at the end of season.

He has zero guaranteed money in 2025 and no one is giving him a 35M/yr contract. Players get injuries. Players with no guarantees can make sure they are on the roster until salary is guaranteed demand an injury settlement. The Raiders will likely bench him like they did Carr to protect themselves.
I wouldn't expect the Raiders to bench Adams like they did to Carr, they had to bench Carr because he had injury guarantees in his contract. Adams doesn't have any, so he could suffer a major injury today and be released without any compensation due after this season is over.

Serious question. Let's say the Saints traded for Adams and they made the numbers work. How much of an impact would Adams have if Carr doesn't have time to throw? I know Adams is great but if Carr is forced to throw off of his back foot and his passes are getting blocked at the LOS, wouldn't Adams just being a shiny new hood ornament on a Cadillac on blocks?

So it's a bidding war between Jets and Saints..

With Mcvay wondering if he can give his 1st for him on the side.

On a side note.. if Saints got Adams.. they would have the best 3 WR set in football.. and would only need to recover from injuries to be the NFCs top team.

1 man isn't a team ofc.. but 1 playmaker can make a team exponentially more devastating.

Personally if our injured players get better... you go out and get Adam's.

You have a legitimate shot at having the Saints in the superbowl in New Orleans you go all in... this may be our last shot at taking it all before that aged defense falls off.
There’s no if, hell be a Saint b4 it’s all said and done. I can guarantee it

I don’t think it’s realistic to easily score 40+ points every week like the first 2 games. But they still played like a team who can win for the most part in weeks 3 and 4. They had control in both games but their own miscommunication and miscues beat them. Saints are 3-1 if Shaheed simply doesn’t fumble the punt for a TD vs Atlanta. Losing McCoy changed the way the OL protected in the Eagles game but they still had a chance to win at the very end of the game when they were down by just a FG. We had to force the ball downfield in deep throws by not having another intermediate weapon who can consistently pick up first downs at the sticks to preserve the clock.

Protection showed improvement when they were able to scheme the Week 4 OL unit for a full week in practice. But Saints beat themselves vs Atl with turnovers. These weren’t drastic losses in the scoreboard that showed they aren’t a winning team. To me it showed how much they’re dependent on 3 great players to make plays. It could be a faulty formula that affect the game outcomes when those players have to focus on multiple responsibilities on ST & offense. Or if 1 or 2 of them are taken out of the play in key moments and no one else steps up.
We need to get back to what we want to be good at. And that's running the ball early and often to set up the pass. Once the eagles exposed us, we turned into a 3 yard per carry team from a 5 or 6 yard per carry team. Pete Carmichael would've been proud. The last two games we had to depend on DC4 to get things done. And that's exactly what we tried to get away from, over-reliance on the Qb. We currently have no margin of error. Projecting KC: I think we improve running the ball considering that our oline seems OK w/ Shane Limeaux. But i still don't see over 4 yards a carry. We'll have a lot of 2nd & 7 and 3rd and longs. Adding Adams could give Carr a sure handed WR catching quick passes over the middle, (how we would use MT). We can use the short passing game to set up the run, then the run to set up the chunk. As it stands, we need another playmaker on Offense to help offset our weakened but improving oline.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom