Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [Raiders trade Adams to Jets for conditional 3rd ; Jets paying Adams’ entire remaining salary] (349 Viewers)

We are on the same page...but I just wanted to say let's not forget that this is a trade situation, and Adams does not have a no trade clause, so it may not be up to him.

In fact, it is one of my fears...that Vegas will trade him to somewhere like Carolina, just to be petty, especially with the whole Antonio Pierce "post liking" situation in the background of this.
True, Adams can’t make the trade himself. But I saw that the Raiders will consider Adams’ desires for his destination. I think that was the reason behind the wish list report from Schefter. Its probably unlikely that they’ll trade him to a team that he won’t report to.

"Always the bridesmaid... never the bride". That's how I feel about these potential deals that never go the Saints' way. I won't get excited until it happens if it happens. It would be cool though to get Adams here.

In your opinion, who is in contention in the NFC?

Just trying to get an understanding from someone of who these great big contenders are we have no chance of overcoming or running with with a potential trump-card piece like Adams added to the fold.
Theres not one team in the NFC that anyone can confidently say is more of a contender than the Saints right now IMO. The conference and league are so wide open with close games week to week. Sam Darnold, Geno Smith, Jayden Daniels, Mayfield, and Goff are playing well but they aren’t unbeatable QBs. 49ers will be in close games every week without CMC. Eagles will also stay in close games a lot of weeks due to their top 2 WRs’ durability.

Saints have the talent and production at every position on defense. The offense leads the NFL in points scored. Offense is actually a playmaker away from closing games consistently based on the games results to this point.

There seems to be a faction of fans here that believe unless you are cut and above, one of the best rosters assembled, with no weaknesses, built for super stardom and a 15-2/14-3 record, then you are not a “contender.”

Contending is a function of who you are competing with, and to me, the teams we are competing with are all essentially the same as us, except for MAYBE the 49ers if they were healthy.

We may not look like a contender on paper based on what we are used to as a NFC contender standard, but in 2024, our current roster assembled, specifically if you add a superstar like Adams, is the epitome of a contender.

I promise you, if we add Adams, all the talking heads will be talking about how we may have just made ourselves the team to beat in the NFC, because it is WEAK.

In your opinion, who is in contention in the NFC?

Just trying to get an understanding from someone of who these great big contenders are we have no chance of overcoming or running with with a potential trump-card piece like Adams added to the fold.
Lions, 49ers, Vikings, Bucs and maybe even Seattle.

With our line injured, lacking talented depth and not playing well in addition to Carr absolutely needing more time / less pressure to play well I don't see us making it very far against those teams if we were to make it to the playoffs.

Adams contract would require more kicking the cap can just to get him under the cap this season and future assets for a contract we would be forced to deal with immediately after the season. I don't think the value is there.

EDIT: He also has a hamstring injury that kept him from playing last week.

Davante is making 16.8 million this year. No amount of Loomis magic will work unless he takes a massive paycut. He's scheduled to make 35 million next year lol. We're still paying Michael Thomas to stay at home.

Lions, 49ers, Vikings, Bucs and maybe even Seattle.

With our line injured, lacking talented depth and not playing well in addition to Carr absolutely needing more time / less pressure to play well I don't see us making it very far against those teams if we were to make it to the playoffs.

Adams contract would require more kicking the cap can just to get him under the cap this season and future assets for a contract we would be forced to deal with immediately after the season. I don't think the value is there.

EDIT: He also has a hamstring injury that kept him from playing last week.
We see the NFC differently for sure. I just don’t see any of those teams egregiously better than us in the context of our current roster once healthy + Adams.

Our line is injured but it won’t be injured forever (hopefully). I’d also say most of the NFL is paper thin depth chart wise.

Understand on the financial aspect and wanting to avoid that though.

As for the hamstring, that very well could be a :::wink wink:::: hamstring to keep him out of games for liability reasons until traded.

Davante is making 16.8 million this year. No amount of Loomis magic will work unless he takes a massive paycut. He's scheduled to make 35 million next year lol. We're still paying Michael Thomas to stay at home.

There are many ways to get it done if they want to, detailed within the thread. It doesn’t have to be cut and dry, black and white. The numbers can be made to work…for better or for worse.

We see the NFC differently for sure. I just don’t see any of those teams egregiously better than us in the context of our current roster once healthy + Adams.

Our line is injured but it won’t be injured forever (hopefully). I’d also say most of the NFL is paper thin depth chart wise.

Understand on the financial aspect and wanting to avoid that though.

As for the hamstring, that very well could be a :::wink wink:::: hamstring to keep him out of games for liability reasons until traded.
I think we see the NFC AND the Saints differently. I predicted 7-8 wins before the season and that is when they were healthy.

I think we WAY over performed those first two weeks because the Panthers are awful and the Cowboys are way worse than I think we thought they would be. We played injured the last two weeks. Our line has very little hopes of getting better before McCoy gets back and I have a feeling his injury was bad and will take closer to week 12 before he can even practice.

If the Saints get Adams, I think thats a sign that they intend to run more 3WR sets or plan to target 3 WRs more often. We’ve been successful with using only 2 WRs most of the time since Olave and Shaheed are very effective and there’s the best satellite back in the league in the backfield.

It seems they’ve been making the most out of the personnel that they have or what they know can be successful for the time being. But over the course of the 17 game season, we’ll need a 3rd highly reliable WR in order to sustain wins and beat good teams in crucial moments. It’s difficult to see them heavily rely on 2 WRs for the entire season. At some point Tipton and Perry should be more involved, but it doesn’t seem like they’re at that point yet. Perry may not ever gain a role in this offense.
Lets make this really simple. We no longer have the players that made games 1 and 2 successful as evidenced by games 3 and 4. Solution: Get a player that would allow you to get back to what made you successful. Or continue to have close one score games. D Adams is on a 12 game rental. His last two years are voidable. So if we didnt want him past this year it wouldnt cost us anything. He'd go into free agency, no harm no foul. So by all means rent the guy for the next 12 games and see what happens.

Adams has been very durable, and hasn't missed a game since 2020, and I think that absence was only due to Covid protocols. So what makes you believe that suddenly we'd end up with $35m on IR?

He has zero guaranteed money in 2025 and no one is giving him a 35M/yr contract. Players get injuries. Players with no guarantees can make sure they are on the roster until salary is guaranteed demand an injury settlement. The Raiders will likely bench him like they did Carr to protect themselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom