Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [Raiders trade Adams to Jets for conditional 3rd ; Jets paying Adams’ entire remaining salary] (341 Viewers)

If we trade Adebo Kool-Aid is starting. I said if/when Lattimore gets hurt...as he has the past two seasons. If that happened we'd be down to Rico Payton and Kool-Aid. We aren't doing that.

I don't have a problem with trading for Adams if the price is right in terms of trade compensation and an adjustment to his contract. I'd rather trade for OL help, but I don't know if there is anyone available on the OL that would be an upgrade and I doubt anyone is at the talent level Adams is. So, you take the market opportunity if it is there.

But, I don't think the protection has been fine. It was fine against Carolina and Dallas, but it was down right terrible against Philly. They couldn't keep Carter out of Carr's face. It was okayish against Atlanta, but that is a pretty weak DL. I think it will continue to be a problem against teams with good pass rushers on the interior like Kansas City for instance.

Moreover, a lot of the reason it was fine in the games it was fine in is because we were often in 12 and 21 personnel with TEs and FBs in to help the pass protection. That means either Shaheed or Adams would often be on the bench while you try to max protect. Which isn't ideal and kind of means that you aren't really adding a full weapon to the offense.

That being said, sure go get Adams, but don't pay more than a 4th round pick and he is going to need to do something about his salary cap hit for this year and the next two years. It's going to be hard to even fit him under the cap this year and it could mean having to extend Kamara or convert his salary which could mean more dead money if they don't give him a new contract which they seem reluctant to do. And we can't use up too much cap space or use up higher draft picks because next year we likely will need to sign or draft two Edge rushers, an OL or two, a CB or sign Adebo, a Safety or two, and a TE.

I also have a lot of concerns trading for a 32 year-old WR with a 3 year contract when I don't really think we are a contender this year and I don't think Adams is the difference between making the playoffs or not. But maybe I'm wrong and he is.
The protection has been fine when we had McCoy.

Restructuring bonuses are rarely an immediate check. They are usually deferred and paid in installments, as are signing bonuses. The Raiders may still not be able to afford it, but I think it’s a misconception that players are pocketing a check for the full amount right when their contract gets restructured.
Except for when contracts are traded or terminated. Those bonuses come due right away.

Now if you're talking that WE would be restructuring it and taking the cap hit later then you would be correct. But that would make an already terrible cap situation in 2025 even worse. Remember, we are going to be dealing with Cam, Ramczyk, Lattimore, AK, and others. I don't think it's worth it.

I feel like Ruiz gets a lot of help from McCoy. He's a real wild card sandwiched between Penning and Lemieux. He really struggled badly last year when McCoy had to help both him and Hurst.

I agree that Ruiz isn't particularly good or at least he isn't consistent, but I think he is better than the backups and he works well with McCoy. I'm not sure I can ever have confidence in this line, but I'm not sure they can get back to being fine until McCoy gets back. Ruiz having to help Penning and whoever is at Center is not a good idea.

His interest might be tempered by what kind of bank he's looking for.

If he does a team friendly deal then by all means make it happen................................I'm not very optimistic though.

The protection has been fine when we had McCoy.

No doubt it was fine. But, it took a lot of scheming, keeping TEs in, and using 12 and 21 personnel to do it. And, McCoy is out 6 to 8 weeks. It was not fine when McCoy went out against Philly and it's going to be 6 to 8 weeks before he is back. And you never know if it could be longer. I think they will be better than they were against Philly, as they were against Atlanta, but even in that game it was a struggle and they had to throw a lot of really quick passes.

But hopefully they can hold it together and stay in the playoff hunt until McCoy can come back. And hopefully we don't get any other injuries. Kubiak can only do so much.

No doubt it was fine. But, it took a lot of scheming, keeping TEs in, and using 12 and 21 personnel to do it. And, McCoy is out 6 to 8 weeks. It was not fine when McCoy went out against Philly and it's going to be 6 to 8 weeks before he is back. And you never know if it could be longer. I think they will be better than they were against Philly, as they were against Atlanta, but even in that game it was a struggle and they had to throw a lot of really quick passes.

But hopefully they can hold it together and stay in the playoff hunt until McCoy can come back. And hopefully we don't get any other injuries. Kubiak can only do so much.

6 to 8 weeks was the initial report, two weeks have passed, so it’s now 4 to 6 weeks.

He could be back as early as Carolina, but I’m thinking they save him for Atlanta the following week.

A month sounds daunting, but we can tread water until then, I think.

also this little piece of info: Adams’ ability to excel in the slot — in 2021, 608 yards of his 1,553 yards came from there — makes him an intriguing option to pair with Olave and Shaheed on the outside. Adams also played in a similar offense under coach Matt LaFleur in Green Bay.

6 to 8 weeks was the initial report, two weeks have passed, so it’s now 4 to 6 weeks.

He could be back as early as Carolina, but I’m thinking they save him for Atlanta the following week.

A month sounds daunting, but we can tread water until then, I think.

Hopefully but Chris Jones is not going to be pretty this week and at K.C. is always tough. Then a tough divisional game with Tampa. And while the Brocos aren't good, 3 games in 10 days is going to be really tough especially considering all the injuries we have. Then the Charges who are no doubt going to be physical under Haurbaugh. It's going to be a serious challenge, but if they beat K.C. maybe they can get hot and stay on a streak.

Hopefully but Chris Jones is not going to be pretty this week and at K.C. is always tough. Then a tough divisional game with Tampa. And while the Brocos aren't good, 3 games in 10 days is going to be really tough especially considering all the injuries we have. Then the Charges who are no doubt going to be physical under Haurbaugh. It's going to be a serious challenge, but if they beat K.C. maybe they can get hot and stay on a streak.

3-1…we lose to KC then get on a roll, sparked by our high flying offense showing off their newly acquired dynamic weapon in Adams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom