Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (101 Viewers)

dcecd920d49f150ced7f67cc606a9430.jpg

Adams would have to restructure his contract in a big way - like down to $12-16M per year. Even with that, we'd have to restructure someone to make room. A 2nd round pick is too much for a one or two year WR rental. No more than a 3rd round pick.

One thing is for sure, if this team wants to win the South we won’t do it without adding another weapon. Our TE’s have been useless. So, either coach has to get one of these other players to step up or we need another offensive weapon.

If we don’t add another offensive weapon that will help open up the offense more in games where the defense has our number, we have no chance to win the south.

One thing is for sure, if this team wants to win the South we won’t do it without adding another weapon. Our TE’s have been useless. So, either coach has to get one of these other players to step up or we need another offensive weapon.

If we don’t add another offensive weapon that will help open up the offense more in games where the defense has our number, we have no chance to win the south.
I heard people say this when we had Meach, Henderson, Colston, Bush etc. It's a fallacy in my view.

We’ve been able to run the ball. Kamara is top 5 in rushing yards, 1st in YFS. The pocket has been pretty clean for the most part. Protection has been fine.

We need another weapon at WR really bad.

I don't have a problem with trading for Adams if the price is right in terms of trade compensation and an adjustment to his contract. I'd rather trade for OL help, but I don't know if there is anyone available on the OL that would be an upgrade and I doubt anyone is at the talent level Adams is. So, you take the market opportunity if it is there.

But, I don't think the protection has been fine. It was fine against Carolina and Dallas, but it was down right terrible against Philly. They couldn't keep Carter out of Carr's face. It was okayish against Atlanta, but that is a pretty weak DL. I think it will continue to be a problem against teams with good pass rushers on the interior like Kansas City for instance.

Moreover, a lot of the reason it was fine in the games it was fine in is because we were often in 12 and 21 personnel with TEs and FBs in to help the pass protection. That means either Shaheed or Adams would often be on the bench while you try to max protect. Which isn't ideal and kind of means that you aren't really adding a full weapon to the offense.

That being said, sure go get Adams, but don't pay more than a 4th round pick and he is going to need to do something about his salary cap hit for this year and the next two years. It's going to be hard to even fit him under the cap this year and it could mean having to extend Kamara or convert his salary which could mean more dead money if they don't give him a new contract which they seem reluctant to do. And we can't use up too much cap space or use up higher draft picks because next year we likely will need to sign or draft two Edge rushers, an OL or two, a CB or sign Adebo, a Safety or two, and a TE.

I also have a lot of concerns trading for a 32 year-old WR with a 3 year contract when I don't really think we are a contender this year and I don't think Adams is the difference between making the playoffs or not. But maybe I'm wrong and he is.

Last edited:
There is zero shot that we can just eat his entire salary. If it happened it would have to be one of those situations where the Raiders agree to eat a huge portion of the money. I just don’t see that happening. Especially when you look at the Jets cap situation the next couple of years, they could eat his entire contract and not have to rework anything.

I mean, we scored over 40 points per game in the first two games and 24 points against Atlanta without another weapon. So, the weapons we have can score points. And the reason we couldn't score against Philly was Carter and their other DTs were dominating our interior OL, stopping us from running the ball and constantly being in Carr's face.

Even against Atlanta Carr only had an average of like 2.3 seconds to throw. This team will go as far as the OL and cutting out dumb mistakes on defense will allow them to go. Another weapon would help some, but as I said above, we play so much 12 and 21 personnel to protect the OL, a 3rd WR is seldom on the field so either Shaheed or Adams will often be on the sidelines.

Another weapon would help some, but as I said above, we play so much 12 and 21 personnel to protect the OL, a 3rd WR is seldom on the field so either Shaheed or Adams will often be on the sidelines.
You have to think that Olave is battling through injury and that’s why we’re interested in Adams. Right now an Olave injury would be devastating, but if we add Adams we could hopefully make it through.

I mean, we scored over 40 points per game in the first two games and 24 points against Atlanta without another weapon. So, the weapons we have can score points. And the reason we couldn't score against Philly was Carter and their other DTs were dominating our interior OL, stopping us from running the ball and constantly being in Carr's face.

Even against Atlanta Carr only had an average of like 2.3 seconds to throw. This team will go as far as the OL and cutting out dumb mistakes on defense will allow them to go. Another weapon would help some, but as I said above, we play so much 12 and 21 personnel to protect the OL, a 3rd WR is seldom on the field so either Shaheed or Adams will often be on the sidelines.
It's just my opinion, I certainly don't pretend that I am 100% correct here. It's likely that there will be multiple games and circumstances that look to prove both of our comments true.

I think we are one injury away at that position from being much easier to shut down. I do not respect the defense of Atlanta or Carolina at all, and Dallas's once-dominant defense doesn't seem impressive in the slightest. I worry that stronger teams with better fronts can control us the way Philly did. Adding more weapons helps negate that since we can't add more OL depth that would make any real difference. Again, I should not have said basically if we do not make this trade we absolutely cannot win the south, we can. But, let's be honest, hanging on the idea that this offense will remain relatively healthy throughout the season and post season is a stretch. I think if we can get him for a reasonable price, it's a no-brainer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom